GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Ask FFE for a custom tubular one or you can contact Arnold (PagParts) for a complete kit if you don’t have the turbo yet.
I was planning on buying a manifold and turbo only and making it work with what I have since a whole kit is much more expensive and I already have most of the parts in the kits, I'll contact Arnold when I'm ready to buy though

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
I was planning on buying a manifold and turbo only and making it work with what I have since a whole kit is much more expensive and I already have most of the parts in the kits, I'll contact Arnold when I'm ready to buy though

I think Arnold can sell the turbo with the manifold and water & oil lines

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I think another option may be a custom tubular manifold but that's [emoji383][emoji383][emoji383]. What about the atp manifold doesn't cut it? I remember reading some stuff about them being sub par but I wasn't sure why.

It doesn't flow as well...and the issue with poor flowing manifolds is not only slower spool but also EGT issues. Because the manifold can't get rid of the hot air as quickly it's going to run a lot hotter.

FFE/PPT/APR are your only real options. RAI has a kit but I've heard of quality control issues with them plus they only do in-house installs they won't ship you their kit.

Also FFE/PPT kits are the same in terms of cost (~$5K). FFE's manifold isn't custom per se, they are all built to order but they have the machines jigged for production so you if want one you just buy it and they'll build it and ship it to you.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
It doesn't flow as well...and the issue with poor flowing manifolds is not only slower spool but also EGT issues. Because the manifold can't get rid of the hot air as quickly it's going to run a lot hotter.

FFE/PPT/APR are your only real options. RAI has a kit but I've heard of quality control issues with them plus they only do in-house installs they won't ship you their kit.

Also FFE/PPT kits are the same in terms of cost (~$5K). FFE's manifold isn't custom per se, they are all built to order but they have the machines jigged for production so you if want one you just buy it and they'll build it and ship it to you.
Would FFEs be able to flow enough for a gtx2976? I don't know where in gonna go for actual numbers yet, but if I hit a limit I would like it to be the turbo rather than the manifold.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Would FFEs be able to flow enough for a gtx2976? I don't know where in gonna go for actual numbers yet, but if I hit a limit I would like it to be the turbo rather than the manifold.

I am sure it is, but I would talk with them first. They are building my car using a precision 5858.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
So anyone have any good suggestions for a manifold that will flow enough to max out a gtx2976r? Is a custom tubular manifold my only choice?

CTS manifold is your best bet.

http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/products/CTS_FSI_TSI_Golf_R_Turbo_Manifold_T3_Flanged-371-2.html

Might as well just go with their whole turbo kit.

edit: are you looking for t25 only? If you want to run a compressor wheel that size don't choke it with a t25.

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
CTS manifold is your best bet.

http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/products/CTS_FSI_TSI_Golf_R_Turbo_Manifold_T3_Flanged-371-2.html

Might as well just go with their whole turbo kit.

edit: are you looking for t25 only? If you want to run a compressor wheel that size don't choke it with a t25.
I was looking at the cts kit but I already have most of the stuff in it so I'd rather just by the parts I need instead of 4k for a kit just to sell a lot of the parts off

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I was looking at the cts kit but I already have most of the stuff in it so I'd rather just by the parts I need instead of 4k for a kit just to sell a lot of the parts off

What exactly do you need that the kit is including extra?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
What exactly do you need that the kit is including extra?
I pretty much just need the turbo and the manifold, the installation hardware, and a turbo outlet. I have an idea that should work to relocate the dv valve using the unitronic kit and a custom silicon hose that will also take care of the inlet. I already have a 3" intake and 3" catless downpipe and the turbo I want is internally gated so I won't need any external wastegate stuff

drepai

Go Kart Champion
You'll need a custom downpipe, stock frame turbos use a different flange and sit in a different location. Don't forget oil & coolant lines.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
You'll need a custom downpipe, stock frame turbos use a different flange and sit in a different location. Don't forget oil & coolant lines.
Yea I had the oil and coolant lines grouped under installation hardware. I figured the downpipe would have to be modified for a different flange, although some of atp's turbos have 4 bolt flanges, how much different is the position, is it enough where the flex pipe could make up for it or just a little altering of the pipe?