GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello! New to the VW world.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Wanted to introduce myself. Picked up my first German car after owning only Japanese cars. I have always loved GTI's but have always been scared to own a German car (more not having experience). Found a used 2013 Base GTI with a manual transmission and only 35k miles. My previous car a Honda Fit got totaled by a drunk driver running a red light. It was a great little car but I was wanting something with some more oomph. I am very impressed with the fit and finish of the GTI along with how nice the interior is.

So far I changed the oil with Redline full synthetic and MANN filter and installed a DV+. The DV+ was more in preparation for Unitronic Stage 1+ tune that I have waiting to be installed as soon as I verify that my timing chain tensioner has been updated. Hopefully I can verify that this week so I can install the tune!! Stage 2 tune eventually but next order of business is coil overs I think.

Thanks for having me and I will try to be helpful when I can. I am a Honda guy at heart but am really loving my VW. Some pictures.

Poor Fit!!

The GTI

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Jeez that fit was destroyed, Glad your ok mate.
GTI in my opinion is definitely step up from fit.
I looked at both before I bought my GTI as always loved small hatch type cars.
Perhaps a blessing in disguise?

Sounds like you've read up as far as checking tensioner and tunes.
I'm not familiar with that oil but as long as its on the approved list, your good to go.
I would look and see if you have a newer intake manifold as well.
and pcv version. Both easy to check by opening hood and both are common failures.
Just something to keep in mind.

Welcome to the fam.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Jeez that fit was destroyed, Glad your ok mate.
GTI in my opinion is definitely step up from fit.
I looked at both before I bought my GTI as always loved small hatch type cars.
Perhaps a blessing in disguise?

Thanks. Yes the Fit did well considering a big Mercedes car hit me doing 55+ while I was making a left turn. I am grateful the Fit kept me safe and I was just sore and bruised. Good thing I had my airbag recall taken care of :-0.

I have always loved small hatches too and the plaid seats, wonderful interior and German driving experience brought me to the GTI. Compared to a Fit it is a big step up but that little car ran its ass off and never gave me any issues for the 93k miles I had it. 36-38 mpg, cheap gas, oil changes and you could fit so much stuff in it. Maybe the accident is a blessing in disguise only time will tell I suppose. I should have driven a Focus/Fiesta ST but the interior was so...Ford, so I didn't even test drive one. Maybe driving it would have changed my mind but I loved everything about the GTI. Madaspeed 3 was also on my radar but wasn't feeling it along with an Si.

I'm not familiar with that oil but as long as its on the approved list, your good to go.

It was approved. It's my first time using it as I always have used Castrol or Honda oil.

I would look and see if you have a newer intake manifold as well.
and pcv version. Both easy to check by opening hood and both are common failures

How can I tell if these have been updated?

Welcome to the fam.

Thank you!!

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Hey GolNat glad you found your way over here from the Fit Forum. Welcome, lots of good people & info to be found here.

The GTI is such a great car as are Fit's, but it has such a solid feel that the Fit lacks. Although the Fit is the Swiss Army knife of cars. Fiesta or GTI, you made the right choice. A friend went from a GTI to a Fiesta ST & it just doesn't feel like it is going to last long. Cheap feel & an interior that hurts my eyes. He does like it so there's that.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Whalecum.

I think you will find the interior is a love at first sight type of feeling. Then when you realize the lack of power, you can make that up with the tunes and upgrades. The car has an abundance of aftermarket parts for it. As much as a Honda would. I consider GTIs practically the ricers of the German world, lol.

The difference of having been in an ST where it would have had more power out the gate, you can't do much to change that inferior interior. Power on the GTI, on the other hand you can increase it with some simple tunes/hardware as you need it.

Careful when you get the mod bug bite though. There is no way out the rabbit hole once you fall in, lol :D :D :D

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
I have always loved small hatches too and the plaid seats, wonderful interior and German driving experience brought me to the GTI. Compared to a Fit it is a big step up but that little car ran its ass off and never gave me any issues for the 93k miles I had it. 36-38 mpg, cheap gas, oil changes and you could fit so much stuff in it. Maybe the accident is a blessing in disguise only time will tell I suppose. I should have driven a Focus/Fiesta ST but the interior was so...Ford, so I didn't even test drive one. Maybe driving it would have changed my mind but I loved everything about the GTI. Madaspeed 3 was also on my radar but wasn't feeling it along with an Si.

Yea you may take a hit on mpg, pay more on 91+ gas, and have slightly smaller hatch room :iono: but a GTI has so much more going for it as far as driver experience. The GTI interior won me over as well its the thing you'll be looking at the most so gotta have enjoy what your seeing. Most other cars I deal with daily have such poor cheap feeling interiors.

How can I tell if these have been updated?

For the intake you can look at the flapper runner? on the side of the device
see humble mechanic youtube vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IVxPqriZkk
Recommend subscribing as well if you plan to do your own maintenance/upgrades.

For the PCV you can see the model number right on top.
Latest is 06H-103-495-AH
06H-103-495-A and 06H-103-495-E fail often.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
but a GTI has so much more going for it as far as driver experience.

Driving experience is what I was going for after the Fit and the GTi nailed it.
Honda has a missed oppertunity with the Fit I think as they could easily turn it into a hot hatch to compete with the current market but it might be too late.

For the intake you can look at the flapper runner? on the side of the device
see humble mechanic youtube vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IVxPqriZkk
Recommend subscribing as well if you plan to do your own maintenance/upgrades.

For the PCV you can see the model number right on top.
Latest is 06H-103-495-AH
06H-103-495-A and 06H-103-495-E fail often.

Awesome! Thanks for the link and part numbers.

Whalecum.

I think you will find the interior is a love at first sight type of feeling. Then when you realize the lack of power, you can make that up with the tunes and upgrades. The car has an abundance of aftermarket parts for it. As much as a Honda would. I consider GTIs practically the ricers of the German world, lol.

The difference of having been in an ST where it would have had more power out the gate, you can't do much to change that inferior interior. Power on the GTI, on the other hand you can increase it with some simple tunes/hardware as you need it.

Careful when you get the mod bug bite though. There is no way out the rabbit hole once you fall in, lol :D :D :D

Thank you and I think you are right about the mod bug :). I said I would wait to do any tuning (at least a year) and I lasted 2 months lol. The rabbit hole was holding me back but cars are my thing so there is no stopping it.

Hey GolNat glad you found your way over here from the Fit Forum. Welcome, lots of good people & info to be found here.

The GTI is such a great car as are Fit's, but it has such a solid feel that the Fit lacks. Although the Fit is the Swiss Army knife of cars. Fiesta or GTI, you made the right choice. A friend went from a GTI to a Fiesta ST & it just doesn't feel like it is going to last long. Cheap feel & an interior that hurts my eyes. He does like it so there's that.

Hey man nice to see you here!! I found myself on this forum when Googling so I thought it would be a good one to join. I think GTI was the right choice too and I can experience for myself if the added things associated with German automobile ownership are worth the whole driving experience. So far it is a yes!!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Would you say the GTI is a better fit? :cool:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Plan on a new clutch too when you tune it, btw

Thanks. I do keep forgetting about that detail. Definitely before stage 2 and I’ll see how long I can go with the Stage 1.

Would you say the GTI is a better fit? :cool:

Lol yes it is!!

Yay I have the new tensioner!! Build date is 11/12. Now just need to check the PCV and intake.

Last edited:

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Yay I have the new tensioner!! Build date is 11/12. Now just need to check the PCV and intake.

Nice, that's lucky.
Now you don't have to worry about spontaneous engine failure aha.
I just installed the updated tensioner couple weeks ago.
Pain in the ass to do, but now I don't have to worry about it until I need to change my chains in a couple years.

Hopefully by that time ill have a better equipped garage and I can just rebuild entire engine while I'm at it.

torga

Autocross Champion
Protip, if you get an OBDeleven at some point if you need an OBDII scanner plus baby-VAGCOM, you can check chain stretch via the engine module. VW generally says +/- 5º of stretch is the safe zone. So since you have the updated tensioner and if you're within that tolerance, you'll be good on a chain for a while!

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Now you don't have to worry about spontaneous engine failure aha.

Lol, which makes me feel a lot better.

I read a DIY about replacing it and it looked to be a real PITA.

Protip, if you get an OBDeleven at some point if you need an OBDII scanner plus baby-VAGCOM, you can check chain stretch via the engine module. VW generally says +/- 5º of stretch is the safe zone. So since you have the updated tensioner and if you're within that tolerance, you'll be good on a chain for a while!

Awesome tip, thanks!! I have Carista because Apple life but bought a PC laptop just for Unitronic and VagCom. VagCom will be this year sometime.

zrickety

The Fixer
Welcome aboard. These are great cars, and you found the best combo...plaid, 2 door, manual. Jealous!