GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk5 Jetta Sunflower Wheels on Mk6 GTI?

Hey guys, I am in desperate need of new tires and I have a wheel that is badly curb rashed.

I found a guy on Craigslist who is selling sunflower wheels and tires from a 2010 MK5 Jetta for cheap! I asked the guy what the tire size is and its the same 225 40 18 that I need for my 2012 Mk6 GTI.

I did some research and even though 16", maybe 17" wheels are supposed to go on the Jetta, they did sell the 18" Sunflower wheels on the Jetta as OEM! This leads me to believe they are the same ones on the Mk6 GTI.

The only downside I see is that the tires he has on them are Continental "ControlContact".

I have 2 questions:

1. Are these the same Sunflower wheels on the Jetta as the GTI? Would I be able to mix and match them with no side effects?

2. I don't see Continental ControlContacts as recommended anywhere for the GTI. Would these be fine for the GTI's torque?

Really hoping I found a craigslist unicorn.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
What are these "Sunflower" wheels you're referring to?

225/40/18 is the proper size & if they're OEM should bolt right on. Just double check the tire manufacturing date

zrickety

The Fixer
Stock wheels are usually heavy and can take whatever torque you throw at them. Pics or they don't exist!

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I am going to guess Detroits as the pattern is round...like a sunflower... maybe... depending on what your smoking. I've never seen Detroits on a jetta but stranger things have happened. I just saw a set on a 1973 VW van the other day. Interesting choice. Did not look good.

Last edited:
What are these "Sunflower" wheels you're referring to?

225/40/18 is the proper size & if they're OEM should bolt right on. Just double check the tire manufacturing date

Always thought VW called these the sunflower wheels
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Njk2WDcxNg==/z/yxYAAOSwnDZUIrKD/$_32.JPG

Ok, Great! Thank you

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Always thought VW called these the sunflower wheels
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Njk2WDcxNg==/z/yxYAAOSwnDZUIrKD/$_32.JPG

Ok, Great! Thank you

Yeah those are the OEM MK6 Detroit 18" wheels....those were never offered on the Jetta though from the factory, so someone swapped them on

They are heavy, but if you want new wheels & they're cheap & you like them....grab them

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Yeah those are the OEM MK6 Detroit 18" wheels....those were never offered on the Jetta though from the factory, so someone swapped them on

I thought GLIs had them (?)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
Those are the Huffs, with the gray pockets, that were on the MK5, and you are correct that the GTI & GLI both had them

MK6 had the Detroits, with the black pockets, but were only on the GTI