GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 02-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
bruce_lafleur
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 GTI 2.0T
squeaky clutch

hi guys, I really hope I get this right and am not posting in the wrong section..

I've a 2 door 2011 gti, stick. bought it at 53K miles almost a year ago and it's now at 60K

when we shift into 1st, if it's not done 100pct perfectly and the clutch rubs a little, it screams a little instead of just rubbing. I changed my oil (even though it wasn't time) and that somehow fixed the problem but just a few days later the squeaking came back. we live in new york where it had been pretty cold until recently, not sure if that has anything to do with it. wondering if others have experienced this.. I feel like it's something very stupid but i don't know what to look for exactly and i don't want to hurt the transmission.. just sounds like something's not lubricating properly..

any hints? thanks..
bruce_lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
Tony48
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Are you experiencing squeak upon clutch engagement? Especially from a dead stop engaging 1st gear? If so, you have a failing throwout bearing.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
dustbunny227
FIA GT Champion

Drives: MK6 UG GTI
Throw out bearing. Mine was doing it only before I reached operating temp and then it went away. Then it did it all the time. Then it finally went out... It will continue to do that and then one day that clutch is going to go in and not come out. I had it happen to mine. It takes replacing the whole clutch. Ran me about 300 all said and done through my local shop.
Instagram
dustbunny227 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
AaronC
Touring Car Champion

Drives: '11 4D UG GTI 6M Sun+Navi
Send a message via AIM to AaronC
I thought some said this is glazing on the disk surface? Although it is more of a little squeak and not a scream.
APR K04,SPM DP/MFCBE, SPM FMIC,CM FX350,DG Springs/Koni Yellows,Eibach RSB,NS TOP/TBP,Carbonio S1,UB, P3 Boost Gauge,Fluidampr, OEM lip,R tails,VWR SS,VibratechnicsMounts,APR pendulum,insideLED,Xenon color match city light/Fogs,HatchPop, SO Sub,VAG-COM tweaks.
Other Rides - 2013 Victory Cross Country, UH-60 A/L
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
dustbunny227
FIA GT Champion

Drives: MK6 UG GTI
If its making noise when the clutch is being disengaged and engaged then its the throw out bearing. You might also find it sticking a bit when its being disengaged.
Instagram
dustbunny227 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, squeak, transmission