GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 vwr springs, bilstein b4 touring, bbs ch-r

spihawk

I wanted to know what this stuff would look like together but couldn’t find it out there. Had to build it. 2500 miles. Love the ride. The only time I ever even notice the suspension is different is when pushing the car or large dips in the road.

Attachments

• FA1A5DE5-E50E-4028-BE64-FC4B94241AB1.jpeg
    FA1A5DE5-E50E-4028-BE64-FC4B94241AB1.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 3,353

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Looks good! I’m just about to fit bilstein B4 and eibach sportlines, which as I understand are basically VWR but red! Would be interested to see a few more pictures of your car, I’m also considering 19’s but undecided at this point, I take it your wheels are 18’s yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spihawk

They are 18. It would probably look better with 19s but above all else I wanted to not lose ride comfort. I drive this car a ton and it is my only car. Also going for a look where the average person wouldn't be sure if the car was modified or not if you know what I mean.

I can upload some more pics later.

spihawk

If you want something specific let me know.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 1,773
  • rooftop.jpg
    rooftop.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 489
  • theboatanchors.jpg
    theboatanchors.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 715

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
That’s great, thanks for the pics, it’s just the amount of drop I’m after and looks good with the 18s so might not go with 19s after all!

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
Are VWR springs a good match for the b4's as far as spring rates and dampening/rebound go?

spihawk

I'm not sure how to answer what you're asking but I'll just explain the only thing I dislike about them.

So when I said before that I notice large dips.

One thing I noticed when I was putting these springs on was that when I took the old ones off I had to use spring compressors and they were in there pressing very hard to fully extend the strut. The new ones I hardly had to compress them at all so they are not pressing back out hard until they are compressed more.

My theory is that with it like this, when you come up to a dip in the road, that front corner of your car plummets. That is what it feels like at least. Much of my quick driving is done in the hills and mountains of east TN so on the windy back mountain roads those uneven dips in the road are somewhat common.

Not terrible to adjust for if you know its coming but it is without a doubt a negative mark I have to give this setup.

Interstate driving is flawless. Potholes are no extra concern. Only very large speedbumps might scrape. Ive not scraped anywhere yet.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I'm not sure how to answer what you're asking but I'll just explain the only thing I dislike about them.

So when I said before that I notice large dips.

One thing I noticed when I was putting these springs on was that when I took the old ones off I had to use spring compressors and they were in there pressing very hard to fully extend the strut. The new ones I hardly had to compress them at all so they are not pressing back out hard until they are compressed more.

My theory is that with it like this, when you come up to a dip in the road, that front corner of your car plummets. That is what it feels like at least. Much of my quick driving is done in the hills and mountains of east TN so on the windy back mountain roads those uneven dips in the road are somewhat common.

Not terrible to adjust for if you know its coming but it is without a doubt a negative mark I have to give this setup.

Interstate driving is flawless. Potholes are no extra concern. Only very large speedbumps might scrape. Ive not scraped anywhere yet.

The VWR springs (and indeed the eibachs I’m using [and others too probably]) are shorter than stock springs allowing fitment without compressors, once the car is on the ground however they compress further and there will not be any unloaded movement causing what you refer to as a “plummet”, they are designed to be used with stock shocks (which the B4s essentially are), I wonder though if you have the correct springs for your car? I say this as there are two different versions of eibach springs (part numbers) depending on which transmission you are, this is because the DSG is heavier, I don’t know if it is the same with VWR springs but as they are basically eibachs but blue it’s possible I guess! I once had eibach sportlines fitted to an old MK5 GT TDi I owned, it was on stock shocks and the feel of ride and handling was superb, I couldn’t fault it! Hopefully the GTi responds to them the same way.

spihawk

Firstly I want to reiterate that this swap to me has still been a huge success.

I'm just being as particular as I can possibly be to describe the difference between this and stock. And to me it feels like the car falls down notably faster. Which makes the other side of that dip, the incline, feel harsher too.

Manual transmission.
100% have all the correct parts.
Every nut, bolt, cap, mount, everything was replaced brand new with VW parts. (except rear bump stops)
Including balljoints.

oskynr

I know it's an old thread but I was wondering if there is a noticeable reduction in initial body roll with the VWR springs vs stock? I need to refresh my suspension and am thinking about doing this same setup. However, if the springs behave like stock but just a bit lower, I might just save myself the money for the springs since I already have a bigger rear sway bar which makes it corner pretty flat when you're pushing the car.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
I know it's an old thread but I was wondering if there is a noticeable reduction in initial body roll with the VWR springs vs stock? I need to refresh my suspension and am thinking about doing this same setup. However, if the springs behave like stock but just a bit lower, I might just save myself the money for the springs since I already have a bigger rear sway bar which makes it corner pretty flat when you're pushing the car.
i just put VWR springs/shocks/struts on this last year... i did a ST rear sway upgrade at the same time, so it is hard to tell how much springs/shocks had, but the sway bars are what control roll (not springs), and i definitely recommend upgrading the rear. I happened to find the ST sway on amazon for 70 bucks new. now if you are comparing really soft springs, with hard ones, you will feel a "roll" difference, but the spring is just reactionary, and doesnt prevent the inside wheels from lifting.

oskynr

i just put VWR springs/shocks/struts on this last year... i did a ST rear sway upgrade at the same time, so it is hard to tell how much springs/shocks had, but the sway bars are what control roll (not springs), and i definitely recommend upgrading the rear. I happened to find the ST sway on amazon for 70 bucks new. now if you are comparing really soft springs, with hard ones, you will feel a "roll" difference, but the spring is just reactionary, and doesnt prevent the inside wheels from lifting.
I have a Neuspeed rear sway bar I installed about a month ago and it definitely made a huge difference that is more noticeable in tight corners but my goal is to dial out some of that initial body roll. Looks like id have to go pretty stiff to achieve that but I don’t want to sacrifice daily drivability so I’m probably just going to have to accept that bit of roll. I might still go with the VWRs when so refresh my suspension and see if I can tell a difference on top of the rsb. Thanks!

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I have a Neuspeed rear sway bar I installed about a month ago and it definitely made a huge difference that is more noticeable in tight corners but my goal is to dial out some of that initial body roll. Looks like id have to go pretty stiff to achieve that but I don’t want to sacrifice daily drivability so I’m probably just going to have to accept that bit of roll. I might still go with the VWRs when so refresh my suspension and see if I can tell a difference on top of the rsb. Thanks!
Do a front sway bar and get unibracing if you want less roll. After that if you still have too much roll you can always get coilovers and lower it for better center of gravity.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I have a similar setup on my car. Bilstein B4 shocks, H&R sports and a 25mm rear ST sway bar. There' still some roll but it's def an improvement over stock. The Bilstein are basically an oem replacement and the H&R sports are only a mild drop. The rear sway makes a big difference on turn in