GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subaru BRZ Coupe Review by C&D (brother to the Scion FR-S)

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yeah the BRZ would be a beast with 50-100 more hp. That chassis deserves it. But even as it is, really impressive. Currently there are no better drivers' cars for the money.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
Yeah the BRZ would be a beast with 50-100 more hp. That chassis deserves it. But even as it is, really impressive. Currently there are no better drivers' cars for the money.

Oh I completely agree. I'm hoping a lot of people buy these so it'll spark other companies to produce affordable rwd coupes. I just think it was a slap in the face that the v6 mustang was a second faster around the lap and can be had for the same price pretty much. Also I heard the new miata is suppose to be going back to its "roots"...idk what that means, but competition is always good (but I'd never own a miata).

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Definitely. The demand for the BRZ right now is ridiculous. Most Subaru dealerships predict they'll sell out their individual allocations. Other manufacturers have got to see the market for lightweight RWD sports cars is worth chasing.

As for the Miata, I hear Mazda's pushing for 2200 lb curb weight and smaller dimensions. I don't think I could drive a car smaller than the current Miata, but pretty exciting anyway.

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
For those interested, this is from Car and Driver’s June 2012 issue. Full road test of the BRZ.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files...13-subaru-brz-limited-vs-route-napoleon-1.pdf

There is no question it is a great car. As many already know, acceleration is its weak link. C&D recorded a 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds. However the fine print states that involved a high-rpm clutch drop. C&D’s 5-60 time was 8.0 seconds, which in theory represents max “daily driving” acceleration.

This is perhaps the greatest disparity between a 0-60 time and a 5-60 time I can recall. In comparison, when C&D tested the MKV GTI (6MT), they recorded a 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds and a 5-60 time of 7.2 seconds. Because of turbo lag, 5-60 times make turbocharged cars look much worse than they really are. But an 8.0 second 5-60 time for the BRZ reveals its true lack of torque.

I respect that car a lot. But with no usable back seat, bad highway gearing, and the need for 93 octane fuel only (it can’t take 91 octane), the car is not for me. Besides, if you look at the comparative statistics for “competitors,” the GTI costs less, has shorter stopping distances, accelerates faster and has higher skid pad numbers.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
tires have a lot to do with it. once the HP turns up a bit, it should be a real game changer.

Bendial

Ready to race!
Just saw the Toyota FR-S

I pulled out at work to run an errand, and a Toyota FR-S pulled out right behind me from the Toyota plant next door. I was looking in the rearview thinking "What the hell is that, it has a Scion logo, must be the FR-S?" so i let him pass me and yup, FR-S. I was impressed, it looks nice, but like all Toyotas, looks kind of cheap. I'm pretty sure my GTI would still give him a run for his money. I looked up the specs online and they don't seem that impressive, but it IS a smaller and lighter car so who knows.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
GTI is faster... in every way except for maybe a track.

ImmI

Ready to race!
Does speed really matter? It's about driving pleasure and the Toyobaru beats the GTI in spades and it's not like they're unbearably slow.

Plus the auto makes the car significantly slower from what I've seen.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
probably not day 1, but HKS is reportedly making a kit that TRD may sell at the dealerships, and Subaru is upping power via other methods on the N/A, but who knows, rumor is the car can take a turbo either way.... time will tell, but i expect much better things out of this platform in another year or two.

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
works for me at least

I respect that car a lot. But with no usable back seat, bad highway gearing, and the need for 93 octane fuel only (it can’t take 91 octane), the car is not for me. Besides, if you look at the comparative statistics for “competitors,” the GTI costs less, has shorter stopping distances, accelerates faster and has higher skid pad numbers.

I am pretty sure it'll run on 91 octane , because thats all we got
here in the Bay Area, and I wont call the back seats un-useable
because for folks of smaller stature it'll work just fine.

I've seen pictures of kids in the back seat, JDM girls and
Asian people in general all fitted, so while I wont say it'll be
a nice place to be in for a road trip but for a short distance
hop it'll work.