GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I would be very sad to lose the 2.5L. It takes a licking and keeps on tickin. Plus it sounds badass. Whenever I am on bluetooth in my car and give it some gas people always ask..."Damn what was that?" That my friend was the little golf 2.5L.
LoL and that's with a TDI muffler. The best I've heard is a 2.5 Rabbit with one of those small Flow Master Mufflers.:thumbsup:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
LoL and that's with a TDI muffler. The best I've heard is a 2.5 Rabbit with one of those small Flow Master Mufflers.:thumbsup:

The tdi muffler went back to VW with the tdi. Stock 2.5L exhaust. The IE manifold is pretty loud after half throttle. With the short intake tube it was loud all the time.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Well gents the golf is finally DONE. Couldn't be happier. Installed the M.E. Wagner PCV and tuned it went flawlessly. Most thought out well designed product I have bought in a long time. I was very surprised how much vacuum the golf pulls at idle. 20” hg. That's quite a bit.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Well gents the golf is finally DONE. Couldn't be happier. Installed the M.E. Wagner PCV and tuned it went flawlessly. Most thought out well designed product I have bought in a long time. I was very surprised how much vacuum the golf pulls at idle. 20” hg. That's quite a bit.

WW, Ground breaking stuff as the Catch Can setup on the IE SRI has not been well documented for the obvious reason that no one has done a good job, you should do a complete write up on this on a new thread.
:thumbup:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Well it was a good experiment except the IE valve cover is not baffled well enough to be under vacuum. Took it out for some spirited driving and pumped about half a quart of oil into the catch can in about 100 miles. Oh well. Gonna put the catch can output back on the intake side and call it good.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Well it was a good experiment except the IE valve cover is not baffled well enough to be under vacuum. Took it out for some spirited driving and pumped about half a quart of oil into the catch can in about 100 miles. Oh well. Gonna put the catch can output back on the intake side and call it good.
Sorry it didn't work out.

On my end my Son is back Home from University so time playing with the Golf is limited for almost a month, other cars in storage except the Accord.

I reflashed the IE Stage2 but my Son hates it, he found the same drive ability issues coming off idle as you, .... we flashed back to Stage1.

As you suggested, I may ask IE to adjust the specs under 1.5k RPM of the Stage2 Tune to be similar to Stage1. IDK if they will comply.

....I was very surprised how much vacuum the golf pulls at idle. 20” hg. That's quite a bit...
Yup, I know it's very high, I had measured it at about negative 10 psi, that's one of the reasons my hacked intake manifolds kept breaking/leaking.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry it didn't work out.

Yep. Homer Simpson was right when he said "Trying is the first step towards failure."

I'm just glad I was checking on the thing. I stopped to check the can and could feel it was pretty full so I checked my oil and it barely registered on the dipstick. I just changed the oil last weekend. Whoops, at least the oil light never came on. Not really sure how low you can go before that happens. I was driving it pretty hard though so I was a little concerned but all seems well.

20” hg wasthe vacuum when the engine was cold. I checked it again warm and it was up at 22.5” hg.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
....I stopped to check the can and could feel it was pretty full so I checked my oil and it barely registered on the dipstick. I just changed the oil last weekend. Whoops, at least the oil light never came on. Not really sure how low you can go before that happens. I was driving it pretty hard though so I was a little concerned but all seems well.

20” hg wasthe vacuum when the engine was cold. I checked it again warm and it was up at 22.5” hg.
The version of the 2.5 in our Golf doesn't have an Oil Level light like the version in the Audis, if the Oil light comes on, you have no oil or oil pressure.

Vacuum may be higher when everything lubed up and expands.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
No oil light? What? That seems crazy. And worries me a bit.
Dip Stick !

I never heard of an oil issue with the 2.5. I read something somewhere that the early 2.5 up to about '11 has 1 stage oiling (high), after that the oil pump was 2 stage (high and low pressure) based on rpm.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya. I was just pumping oil out at an alarming rate so had I not noticed the very slight stumble and puff of smoke I could have easily run dangerously down. Well I was about a half to a full quart down below the min for a brief period. Probably not the end of the world. I hooked a clear line up to the PCV and it was quite remarkable how much oil was making its way out. I can now see how driving style makes a huge difference in oil comsumption as the pcv is really only open a significant amount when your on the throttle. And how a bad PCV can cause oil consumption issues.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
For those with aftermarket intake pipe that is not IE's, where are you routing the PCV to if still using pcv? I had IE's manifold but a hacked up usp pipe (didnt fit with manifold, had to cut it so it is now a short ram intake) but there's no bung for pcv. Went to shop to see if they could weld one, but they said the metal is too thin and their welder would blow right through it.

After experimenting with the PCV and almost killing my motor in the process I would look into running the PCV line off the intake tube a little further. I would be concerned there would not be enough vacuum at idle or cruising to open the pcv valve which would be potentially very bad.

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
After experimenting with the PCV and almost killing my motor in the process I would look into running the PCV line off the intake tube a little further. I would be concerned there would not be enough vacuum at idle or cruising to open the pcv valve which would be potentially very bad.

Doesn't the PCV close under vacuum ? As for your issue with your aftermarket PCV, I'm pretty sure you can adjust the flow rate to decrease it on idling/cruising