GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low RPM Hesitation

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Idk, I feel like it's more related to the maf and how it's tuned to read the airflow, not the digital throttle.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Idk, I feel like it's more related to the maf and how it's tuned to read the airflow, not the digital throttle.

I dunno man, people report it on stock as well. I'm pretty sure I had it stock too but it's been so long for me to remember for sure.

If you say that getting rid of APR fixed the problem, I wonder if just the tune you got corrected the issue which would mean they cracked a code that even VW couldn't? I dunno. I'm also manual for someone else that was wondering.

Also as someone else stated, you get that initial crazy kick at low RPM that sends the car jerking forward, and then you get a huge drop of power when you accelerate again, until it finally levels out. It's so damn annoying but I've grown to deal with it since having it for as long as I can remember.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I dunno man, people report it on stock as well. I'm pretty sure I had it stock too but it's been so long for me to remember for sure.

If you say that getting rid of APR fixed the problem, I wonder if just the tune you got corrected the issue which would mean they cracked a code that even VW couldn't? I dunno. I'm also manual for someone else that was wondering.

Also as someone else stated, you get that initial crazy kick at low RPM that sends the car jerking forward, and then you get a huge drop of power when you accelerate again, until it finally levels out. It's so damn annoying but I've grown to deal with it since having it for as long as I can remember.

Yea, I dunno if it's anything we could ever figure out ourselves, but it'd be interesting to see the results. I've always kinda blamed the MAF, or the air intake rather. I went through an old style cts intake, the new style cts intake, and then finally stopped after buying an IE intake, and none of those ever fixed anything with my apr tune. Then I switched to stratified and all things cleared up. I had read enough, and experienced enough, to notice how poorly the APR tune adapts over time, so part of my thinking with switching to cobb was that at least if it starts to adapt poorly again I can change tunes on my own whenever I felt like it. It was honestly the best thing I've ever done for my car. I went from hating how it drove to feeling like I had a car that was driving the way a car should drive.

I can't say with certainty that I never experienced these issues when I was stock. That was 4-5 years ago and my memory is terrible.

What's your boxcode? I was talking to someone else in the APR thread and we both had the same issues and we both had the same box code, but our revisions were different. We kinda think there's something to that.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Yea, I dunno if it's anything we could ever figure out ourselves, but it'd be interesting to see the results. I've always kinda blamed the MAF, or the air intake rather. I went through an old style cts intake, the new style cts intake, and then finally stopped after buying an IE intake, and none of those ever fixed anything with my apr tune. Then I switched to stratified and all things cleared up. I had read enough, and experienced enough, to notice how poorly the APR tune adapts over time, so part of my thinking with switching to cobb was that at least if it starts to adapt poorly again I can change tunes on my own whenever I felt like it. It was honestly the best thing I've ever done for my car. I went from hating how it drove to feeling like I had a car that was driving the way a car should drive.

I can't say with certainty that I never experienced these issues when I was stock. That was 4-5 years ago and my memory is terrible.

What's your boxcode? I was talking to someone else in the APR thread and we both had the same issues and we both had the same box code, but our revisions were different. We kinda think there's something to that.

Where do I find that?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Doh! I'm in dire need of vagcom. I'm just worried this is my first and last VW and I'll never use it again. I know I could try selling it, but that's like a future headache I don't need, lol.

You have an APR tune, ask your tuner what your box code is. They know it, that's how I found mine out without VACGOM or OBDeleven. And please post it here.

Like sterkrazzy said I suspect that certain ECU box codes are much more prone to this than others, and it may affect more than just APR's tune, potentially even the out-of-the-box Cobb files. This thread's OP isn't the first I've read of driveability issues on the Cobb files.

If Stratified is aware of the issue and has adjusted their files for the problematic box codes to clear up the issues, perhaps Stratified could shed some light on this?

However, if you do have issues in "stock" mode or on straight up stock software, then it's likely caused by a hardware problem like FocalPoint said earlier in this thread. I have definite driveability issues including strange jerks like that at a slow roll especially, but the issues go away when I switch to the stock file.

Purerock Racing

I'm changing out my MAP sensor just for the hell of it. Symptoms of bad or failing MAP sensor is the exact same thing I am experiencing, where the ECU doesn't get a correct signal from the MAP to add boost or not at low rpm... there's a bunch of threads on this. It's only a $30 part, so at least I will know the sensor isn't the issue... :iono:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I'm changing out my MAP sensor just for the hell of it. Symptoms of bad or failing MAP sensor is the exact same thing I am experiencing, where the ECU doesn't get a correct signal from the MAP to add boost or not at low rpm... there's a bunch of threads on this. It's only a $30 part, so at least I will know the sensor isn't the issue... :iono:

I went from the stock 3 bar to 4bar APR required on their K04 tune. It's the same shiiiiiieeet so don't worry about that, lol.

Purerock Racing

New MAP sensor, 10 minute job last night and it's still the same. Hesitates/surges big time when it's cold, then gets slightly better once the engine gets to normal temp. I can't believe VW sold these cars with this issue brand new.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
New MAP sensor, 10 minute job last night and it's still the same. Hesitates/surges big time when it's cold, then gets slightly better once the engine gets to normal temp. I can't believe VW sold these cars with this issue brand new.

Germany engineering man :bellyroll:

No, actually, I think they were just pushing too hard for so much electronic control on the car at a time where the technology wasn't perfect for it. I'm sure it's gotten better now but isn't the Mk6 technically based on the Mk5 platform which is hella old???

I'm a firm believer even that the DSG is a bad excuse solution for a crappy manual trans due to the lag/delay. I've never had this issue on non-electronic manual cars. All reaction of the car was instant with zero hesitation. Even old cars.

Purerock Racing

so you're saying I could go drive the neighbor's stock 2012 GTI with same engine etc, and it would do the same thing? That's crazy. You'd think there would be some recall or TSB from VW to fix this issue...

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
so you're saying I could go drive the neighbor's stock 2012 GTI with same engine etc, and it would do the same thing? That's crazy. You'd think there would be some recall or TSB from VW to fix this issue...

Yeah I don't know man. I've heard stories of tunes fixing the issue but it seems to be hit and miss. I just find it hard to believe that the tuners figured out the resolve to VW's own problem... I'm hoping they figured out a real solution and aren't forcing something with the code just to remove it while damaging something else. I dunno. It's above my thought process.

I just know, turn key, hit gas, shift some gears, and hope the car can respond and get me where I want to go as smoothly/trouble free as possible. I can't say it has exactly been smoothly driving a VW... :rolleyes:

Purerock Racing

what is this Throttle Body Adaptation thing I just read about? Do you need VAG COM to access the settings? Or does this not apply to the MK6 US cars?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
what is this Throttle Body Adaptation thing I just read about? Do you need VAG COM to access the settings? Or does this not apply to the MK6 US cars?
I think you need a Vagcom. It applies to US cars and I did it but it didn't do anything for me. Gonna see if a stratified tune fixes it if not then :iono:

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk