GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter's coming...

ironlung207

Hey guys,

Finally picked up a '11 CW MKVI and dropped her down just about 2". I currently love the look and feel, but I am wondering how this will work in winters of boston and maine. I plan on running some snow tires, maybe even studded, but does anyone else running this kind of drop have any other tips suggestions or workarounds?

thanks guys,

-J

SyDiko

Ready to race!
The first few year I bought my car (2011,) I ran it with the stock Detroits just to see how they'd hold up and as assumed it was a nightmare. During one storm, some snow was able to get onto the calipers, it melted, and froze. Needless to say, not having brakes isn't fun! Shortly after, I switched on some steelies w/Blizzacks and that made a huge difference. The car was pretty decent in the snow thereafter. My commute wasn't that bad either, at the time I worked in Norwood and lived in Foxboro; so it was only a 15 mile trip.

When I had my coilovers installed 2 years ago, I needed to have them adjusted and got caught in a sdnow storm. It was a little scary because I still had my summer tires on, but nothing I couldn't handle by driving sensibly. It wasn't long before I decided to store it for the winters and picked up a cheap AWD daily.

I guess, if you are on coilovers, you may want to consider raising the car for the winter. If springs? Be very careful at such a low drop.

What kind of wheels and tires are you looking into for winter?

Last edited:

ironlung207

couldnt even fit a flip flop in between there....

Attachments

• GTI_1.jpeg
    GTI_1.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 303

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Lol, You might want to consider coilovers so you can raise that bad boy in the winter.

Also, I'd recommend 16 inch steelies with a decent all season tire. If not steelies, any wheel that covers the caliper will be good.

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
I've driven slammed and slightly lowered VW's in Maine winters since 1999 and never had a problem. I always have a set of winter wheels and tires though. The slammed car I had was a Cabrio and I didn't care about it (though I still didn't have any issues and it was my daily driver....second vehicle).

I know from experience that MA roads are horrible year round (at least the areas I drive in). I wouldn't drive a slammed car down there in summer, let alone winter. lol
I have a hard time driving my GTI down there and it's only lowered about .5" from stock GTI height.

If you get winter wheels and tires, don't bother with all seasons. No point since you already have all seasons (or summer if you swapped out the stock tires). Better to have dedicated summer and dedicated winter rubber. Winter tires will not only help with driving, but braking improvement is HUGE and worth the investment alone.

My $0.02.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
If you get winter wheels and tires, don't bother with all seasons. .

I've had a set of Blizzaks on my steelies back in 2011 and wasn't impressed. I sold the Zaks half way thru 12-13's winter and went with a decent all-season tire, and they got the same job done at a fraction of the price. :)

Last edited: