GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where to buy VW DG Springs?

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn’t get too hung up on what springs to use. If you can’t find the exact DG springs you want I can’t imagine you’d be unhappy with any of the name brand choices. It’s rare to see anyone complain about their VWRs, H&Rs, Eibachs, etc. Grab a set that gives about a 1” drop and pair them with Konis or Bilsteins and you’ll have a nice riding, great handling car.

I went with Eibach Pro Kit springs and Koni Sports. I chose the Eibachs because TireRack.com (forum sponsor) had a great price on them bundled with their swaybars. An unexpected bonus with the springs is that Eibach threw in a brand new, matching set of bumpstops for the front and rear that preserves enough suspension travel for a smooth ride, as well as including a new pair of rear dust boots.

Thank You for the input. I wanted something that didn’t drop the car too much. I’ve read that the VWRs drop them too much.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Koni Actives are definitely stock replacement only. I had FSDs (the older generation of the technology) paired with VWR springs, and the ride quality was garbage. Get Yellows or Bilsteins.

clownish

just clowning around
Thank You for the input. I wanted something that didn’t drop the car too much. I’ve read that the VWRs drop them too much.

I put vwr springs on Bilstein b8 struts on my Mk5 r32 - possibly the heaviest car possible - and the drop was fine. I daily drive that piggy and there’s no issue except for some steep driveways occasionally that a stock golf would also hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks. Makes sense why they haven’t been mentioned in these threads. Just figured I’d ask because the DGs don’t really lower the car much, and are meant to work with the stock shocks.

Seems like the Koni Yellows paired with DGs is the most popular combination, and the one that I would most likely end up going with. Hope the comfort is still there.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion

Have you thought about running Ground Control sleeves? With a mild spring rate of about 250 lbs/in you'll get a bit more stiffness than the DGs, but you can run them at around stock ride height if you wanted.

Before I compromised and went with the Pro-Kit springs I had intended on going with GC sleeves for about a 1/2 inch drop in ride height. They pair nicely with Koni Sports because you can adjust the rebound, but they'd also work well with Bilsteins. With the Konis you can run the 15 mm shorter "Euro" bumpstops front and rear and maintain a similar bumpstop spring rate progression as the car has on the stock bumpstops.

The cherry on top with the GCs is that you can have the car corner balanced. Even with something as mild as the Pro-Kit springs I can feel the car is unbalanced between left and right turns at low speeds, wanting to turn more easily to the right than the left.

Oh, and your other option is to just stick with the stock springs. I ran the stock springs for over 130k miles and have no complaints; they also work well with Koni Sports. At this point just installing fresh struts will transform your car.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Never knew about GCSs. I will look into them as well. Are you talking about their coilover conversion kit?

As for the stock springs, I guess they would work well with Konis but the reason why I was looking at DGs was they they were made by VW and therefore should be similar to stock just with a little more drop and better handling.

Right now just trying to figure out what the clicking sound is when I turn the wheel. It clicks as if it’s an old car that’s ready to break. All after installing the Tyrolsport kit. Weird...

Last edited:

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Never knew about GCSs. I will look into them as well. Are you talking about their coilover conversion kit?

As for the stock springs, I guess they would work well with Konis but the reason why I was looking at DGs was they they were made by VW and therefore should be similar to stock just with a little more drop and better handling.

Right now just trying to figure out what the clicking sound is when I turn the wheel. It clicks as if it’s an old car that’s ready to break. All after installing the Tyrolsport kit. Weird...

DG springs do pop up in the private classifieds every so often, so if you've got time just keep an eye out and you'll definitely find a set.

When does the clicking sound happen? All the time? When the car is in motion or stopped? If in motion, is it at high or low speeds? Do you feel the clicking through the steering wheel, pedals, seat, etc? Did you do the install or did you have a shop install them? If a shop installed them the easiest thing would be to just head back there and ask them to have a look.

Because so much stuff has to be unbolted with the subframe collar kits it can be a number of things.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Shop installed. I went back and he said that he may have tightened it too much, which is causing the clicking sound when turning wheel or even driving. Seems to be passenger front. I have to bring it in and he will fix it.