GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most comfortable shocks ?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Would VWR springs pair well with Koni Yellows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because you can adjust the rebound damping Koni Yellows work well with any fixed aftermarket springs. I've read that Koni rates them at up to around 450 lbs/in meaning you'd probably have to go with coilover sleeves to go beyond their adjustment range.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Because you can adjust the rebound damping Koni Yellows work well with any fixed aftermarket springs. I've read that Koni rates them at up to around 450 lbs/in meaning you'd probably have to go with coilover sleeves to go beyond their adjustment range.

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah I could snap a shot of mine if you don’t mind waiting.

Sure i don't mind waiting.

Much appreciated .... also if some has a picture of there 2 door manual OEM front springs that'd be nice.

Just trying to figure out if there was an actual difference from OEM.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I tried a number of combinations on my car over the years. I am an older guy but still an enthusiast. I wanted a suspension that allowed passengers in my car to enjoy the ride, I wanted it to have a nice stance and to handle well.

After experimenting I found it was important to get dampers that were intended to be used for lowering springs. Putting lowering springs on shocks that were not designed for them really compromised the amount of travel of the shock and that translated into a compromised ride with all sorts of unwanted results = diminished ride quality and diminished and even dangerous handling (bottom out while taking a hard corner).

What I found that I absolutely loved, were rock solid, took a beating and did everything well was this combo.

Bilstein B8 sports for MK6 all around. These are designed specifically to work with lowering springs and unlike the ones for the MK5 which are too stiff they provide a very compliant ride.

Eibach Sportlines provide the kind of drop that I feel is just about right for my tastes. I prefer a look with just a small gap between tire and fender.

This is an excellent combo you can drive everyday and take to the track on weekends.

The other item I added was a set of Eibach sways which are 23/26 mm f/r. I found that running my swaybars on the more aggressive of the 2 settings did contribute to a much harsher ride when daily driving. Swaybars are great for helping with body roll and weight transfer but it also transfers all road imperfections from one side to the other as well diminishing your ride quality by a noticeable margin.

Also I had replaced all suspension bushings with Whiteline polys. For the most part, the increase in noise and vibration was something you could notice but didn't really compromise the ride quality by any significant amount.

Just thought I would share. I went through the lowering springs on stock shocks, Koni FSD and then tried this Bilstein shocks and they were a huge winner. They are not adjustable but I never wanted or regretted not having any adjustment, these are properly valved for our cars.

BIL 35-158745
Item: Monotube Strut Assembly
Fits: 2011 VOLKSWAGEN GTI Base

BIL 24-158756
Item: Monotube Shock Absorber

Eibach Sportline Springs

All the above has now been replaced on the suspension and it is now going to be much more track oriented with no regard for comfort at all.

Last edited:

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Sure i don't mind waiting.

Much appreciated .... also if some has a picture of there 2 door manual OEM front springs that'd be nice.

Just trying to figure out if there was an actual difference from OEM.

Here’s the front spring color code for 2013 DSG.

Here’s the rear

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I tried a number of combinations on my car over the years. I am an older guy but still an enthusiast. I wanted a suspension that allowed passengers in my car to enjoy the ride, I wanted it to have a nice stance and to handle well.

After experimenting I found it was important to get dampers that were intended to be used for lowering springs. Putting lowering springs on shocks that were not designed for them really compromised the amount of travel of the shock and that translated into a compromised ride with all sorts of unwanted results = diminished ride quality and diminished and even dangerous handling (bottom out while taking a hard corner).

What I found that I absolutely loved, were rock solid, took a beating and did everything well was this combo.

Bilstein B8 sports for MK6 all around. These are designed specifically to work with lowering springs and unlike the ones for the MK5 which are too stiff they provide a very compliant ride.

Eibach Sportlines provide the kind of drop that I feel is just about right for my tastes. I prefer a look with just a small gap between tire and fender.

This is an excellent combo you can drive everyday and take to the track on weekends.

The other item I added was a set of Eibach sways which are 23/26 mm f/r. I found that running my swaybars on the more aggressive of the 2 settings did contribute to a much harsher ride when daily driving. Swaybars are great for helping with body roll and weight transfer but it also transfers all road imperfections from one side to the other as well diminishing your ride quality by a noticeable margin.

Also I had replaced all suspension bushings with Whiteline polys. For the most part, the increase in noise and vibration was something you could notice but didn't really compromise the ride quality by any significant amount.

Just thought I would share. I went through the lowering springs on stock shocks, Koni FSD and then tried this Bilstein shocks and they were a huge winner. They are not adjustable but I never wanted or regretted not having any adjustment, these are properly valved for our cars.

BIL 35-158745

BIL 24-158756

Eibach Sportline Springs

All the above has now been replaced on the suspension and it is now going to be much more track oriented with no regard for comfort at all.

That’s a nice drop. Does this combo with the sway bars take good amount of the body roll out?

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I also noticed a massive drop in ride comfort with a 26mm front sway bar installed. Felt every bump. Even worse when only one side was getting compressed, like hitting a manhole cover or bump.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
That’s a nice drop. Does this combo with the sway bars take good amount of the body roll out?

Yes, car corners pretty flat. Very sporty, very easy to drive fast.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Yes, car corners pretty flat. Very sporty, very easy to drive fast.

Thanks for the feedback! I’m torn between pairing the b8s (which are the highest price shocks compared to koni yellows) with my VWR springs to repurpose them to a better performing shock....or I’m kind of regretting not going coilovers. The HPA SHS or the Koni 1150 look most appealing for the price points. Was thinking KW V2 but might be too aggressive for a daily setup. On the fence with all these options after researching quite a bit. The VWR shocks were sort of a letdown even though they are suppose to be for the springs I have. Lol

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie

BIL 35-158745

BIL 24-158756

Eibach Sportline Springs

Thanks for this, I'll definitely keep it in mind if i ever live somewhere smooth and want to go back to lowering springs.
I had a feeling it was the combinations of my OEM struts and sway-bars was causing the rough ride.
Most people say that sway-bars don't cause added harshness but i think its definitely part of what is causing my rough ride. Your the second person who has also said that it can cause worse ride. There's lots of uneven roads in Ontario .... like very bad ones.

Cheers,

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie

Here’s the rear

Thank you sir,

Much appreciated.

Funny thing is i thought most 4door DSG GTI were 1white, 1yellow, & 2white ....

Maybe for 2013 they were different than previous years.

cheers,

zrickety

The Fixer
I've been running Koni yellows (sport?) with the Driver Gear springs for 2 years now...set them mostly stiff at the beginning and haven't touched them. They are actually very comfortable and I can't knock the performance. The Eibach pro springs and stock dampers I had before them were actually a little bouncy and caused uneven tire wear in the rear.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the info. Seems like the Konis with the DGs are the best fit for this car. Would you say that they are better than stock?

Last edited:

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie

Here’s the rear

For the fronts, would you mind measuring them like I did in the photos I've attached ....

I picked up some but I think they may be manual springs.

Thanks

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
No idea, but I'm thinking if the spring rates are different, then the length measurements won't be comparable?