GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunoco 100 octane gas

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
I have Sunoco 100 oct fuel about 2 miles from my house, so I had my tuner add the 100 oct file when he did my Stage 2 update last month. Got a switcher 2 weeks ago ($35 on eBay for the hw GIAC piece) and burned my tank of 93 oct down to 5 miles left on trip range a week ago.

My impressions at first were EXTREMELY limited because it pretty much rained SOLID for the first 5 days of the 100 oct gas and I only put $50 bucks in (6 gallons) which put my trip range at 165 miles. Down to 20 miles on my trip range today, so pretty much empty, but did get to drive the shit out of it yesterday with my co-worker on break yesterday at work.

Overall impressions, though very limited due to wet roads for 80% of the 100 oct gas, are kind of ho-hum. My co-worker was extremely impressed, but he never rode in the car before. Didn't really see much more than a 3-5% improvement in overall performance when we drove around yesterday and will likely put 93 oct back in today to see how it feels again. I'd say if you're going to the track, or racing your buddies, it's worth it. Driving back and forth to work in traffic on wet roads is an absolute, total, complete waste though (duh!). Wish the forecast had indicated SOLID downpours for the next 5 days when I put the gas in...

I know my impressions are likely a bit skewed due to pretty much wasting 80% of the gas driving on wet roads (ARRRGGGGGHHHH):mad0259:, and really only being able to test with a 180 lb passenger when I finally was able to drive properly. It's nice to have the Sunoco right up the road, just need to plan my fill up better next time. Will wait until the weather cools down a bit more, get a feel for how the 93 drives over the next week or two, then update with more impressions once I go back to the 100 oct file.

BrianfCheng1

Ready to race!
At least it's accessible to you at any time. Closest 100 octane to me is probably at least 100 miles away.

manny2206

Ready to race!
the race track in homestead is 15 minutes from my house and they have 100 103 and 109 race fuel thougth, i believe only real race cars are allowed to have 103+

IEATSRTS

I have meth on mine and drove around like so for a solid two months and then stopped using the W/M for about a month and noticed a huge difference. Its almost depressing when I forget to mix a batch haha

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
At least it's accessible to you at any time. Closest 100 octane to me is probably at least 100 miles away.

I can NOT argue with you there. If it wasn't close by, I probably wouldn't even mess with 100 octane again (unless I was tracking). But since I spent the $ on the file, and it's close, and I want to see what 100 oct can really do with cooler/drier weather, I'll be putting another $50 in shortly and post an update.

Any other feedback from you guys that have used the 100 oct file with Sunoco (or other) gas?? I read as much as I could on here before spending the money and it seemed worthwhile based on my reading. Maybe I was just too bitter about burning most of the fuel on wet roads/traffic to really enjoy the difference it made? Guess I'll know soon enough when I run it again...

MikeASKspeed

Ready to race!
Don't trust the pump's that carry the 100 octane fuel. They typically serve multiple uses such as carrying kerosene in the winter. VP Racing fuel has the MS100 96 motor octane, ms109 101 motor octane and others that are un-leaded (safe for sensors) SK speed in Lindenhrst sells all that. They come in 5 gallon drums, althogh on the pricy side VP gurantees a true 96 or 101 or whatever every drum! No addatives no ethanol NOTHING! Ran ms109 at the track and was pleased.

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
Mike, I like your idea. When I pulled up to this particular Sunoco and saw the tank/pump I was kinda sketched out! It looked like basically a 30 year old 100 gallon tank piped to a 1988 style pump (had an old school b/w LED display and looked pretty vintage). Might have to try to hunt down one of those 5 gallon drums here in town next.

After having 93 back in now for a couple weeks I will admit the 100 octane was a bit faster feeling. Guessing the HP and torque increase company sites boast about are pretty accurate (+/- 10 of each). Can't say I miss the difference in power so much, but think I will re-consider putting more in (if I can find the pre-filled container style) now that the weather is cooling down and hopefully drying off soon just to experience it again and try to get a better handle on the benefits.

Austin@giac

Ready to race!
I have Sunoco 100 oct fuel about 2 miles from my house, so I had my tuner add the 100 oct file when he did my Stage 2 update last month. Got a switcher 2 weeks ago ($35 on eBay for the hw GIAC piece) and burned my tank of 93 oct down to 5 miles left on trip range a week ago.

My impressions at first were EXTREMELY limited because it pretty much rained SOLID for the first 5 days of the 100 oct gas and I only put $50 bucks in (6 gallons) which put my trip range at 165 miles. Down to 20 miles on my trip range today, so pretty much empty, but did get to drive the shit out of it yesterday with my co-worker on break yesterday at work.

Overall impressions, though very limited due to wet roads for 80% of the 100 oct gas, are kind of ho-hum. My co-worker was extremely impressed, but he never rode in the car before. Didn't really see much more than a 3-5% improvement in overall performance when we drove around yesterday and will likely put 93 oct back in today to see how it feels again. I'd say if you're going to the track, or racing your buddies, it's worth it. Driving back and forth to work in traffic on wet roads is an absolute, total, complete waste though (duh!). Wish the forecast had indicated SOLID downpours for the next 5 days when I put the gas in...

I know my impressions are likely a bit skewed due to pretty much wasting 80% of the gas driving on wet roads (ARRRGGGGGHHHH):mad0259:, and really only being able to test with a 180 lb passenger when I finally was able to drive properly. It's nice to have the Sunoco right up the road, just need to plan my fill up better next time. Will wait until the weather cools down a bit more, get a feel for how the 93 drives over the next week or two, then update with more impressions once I go back to the 100 oct file.

If memory serves, I believe 5 miles will leave close to 2 gallons in your reserve tank. I think I made 3-4 passes on 91 at the strip before I chickened out and filled up when my DTE read zero miles.

Turn8

Ready to race!
If memory serves, I believe 5 miles will leave close to 2 gallons in your reserve tank. I think I made 3-4 passes on 91 at the strip before I chickened out and filled up when my DTE read zero miles.

Agreed. You definitely need to run a couple tanks of 100 octane to 'purge' the system of the garbage 91 octane (or, drain the tank).

What are you guys paying for 100? It's $8.10 a gallon near my house and $10.00 a gallon at the local race tracks.
...I can't wait to install the W/M kit...I don't like paying for expensive gasoline.

Mike

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Agreed. You definitely need to run a couple tanks of 100 octane to 'purge' the system of the garbage 91 octane (or, drain the tank).
That's not the smartest or cheapest way to make the switch.

I get the tank down to a gallon or two of 91 and then add five gallons of VP109, which is 105 octane. (2*91)+(5*105)/7 = 101 octane. I drive a couple of miles on the 91 program to get the lower-grade gas out of the lines and then switch to the 100 octane program. This leaves me plenty of gas to get to the race track and let the car adapt.

VP109 is about the same price at speed shops as 100 octane is at the Unocal 76 stations that have it.

Austin@giac

Ready to race!

What are you guys paying for 100? It's $8.10 a gallon near my house and $10.00 a gallon at the local race tracks.
...I can't wait to install the W/M kit...I don't like paying for expensive gasoline.

Mike

Mark's 76 has it for low 9s per gallon in Fullerton. The other place we go to is about 10 per gallon. We only use sunoco 100 for calibrating. $8.10 is quite nice for 100 octane if it is sunoco.