GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket clutches... Has yours slipped?

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
I have a south bend stage II endurance, had K04 for thousands of miles, now running a BT set up and still havnt had slipping issues.

Replaced my clutch at stage II at 18k miles, I now have 47k with no problems, I don't see why it would ever need replacing, unless it was a driver related issue.

Stage 2 endurance is rated up to 450lbs of torque. That's plenty for most. I just had this clutch installed and my initial impressions are positive.

Mceric01

Ready to race!
Yea I'm trying to figure out what clutch I can get that will be closest to OEM feel and noise level but will still hold what I need. I hear people on here saying things like "the fx200 or stage 2 won't be enough to hold the power I need". I want to see if anyone with a lower stage/level aftermarket clutch has found out the hard way that indeed it wasn't enough.

If there are no reported cases of, lets say, an fx200 or fx250 slipping, I would rather go with that than jumping to a fx400 to keep things quiet and easy to drive.

TrogdorsWraith

Ready to race!
Southbend Stage 2 endurance silent test subject here. Approaching 30 k on it on a k04 and although the clutch is noticeably heavier then stock you get used to it.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Yea I'm trying to figure out what clutch I can get that will be closest to OEM feel and noise level but will still hold what I need. I hear people on here saying things like "the fx200 or stage 2 won't be enough to hold the power I need". I want to see if anyone with a lower stage/level aftermarket clutch has found out the hard way that indeed it wasn't enough.

If there are no reported cases of, lets say, an fx200 or fx250 slipping, I would rather go with that than jumping to a fx400 to keep things quiet and easy to drive.

In terms of Southbend someone just said they were running a stage 2 clutch with a big turbo and it is holding. When it comes to noise, chatter, I don't think the strength of the disk has anything to do with it. It's the single mass flywheel. So whether it is fx 200 or fx 400 you will hear chatter. When it comes to pedal feel of the stock clutch it is butter but can't hold any power so......... Bottom line is you can't get a stronger clutch and duplicate stock feel and quietness with a full replacement kit with a single mass flywheel.

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
15,000 miles on my Stage 2 Endurance (silent) and not a single problem. Still tighter than my first.... yea.

Mceric01

Ready to race!
In terms of Southbend someone just said they were running a stage 2 clutch with a big turbo and it is holding. When it comes to noise, chatter, I don't think the strength of the disk has anything to do with it. It's the single mass flywheel. So whether it is fx 200 or fx 400 you will hear chatter. When it comes to pedal feel of the stock clutch it is butter but can't hold any power so......... Bottom line is you can't get a stronger clutch and duplicate stock feel and quietness with a full replacement kit with a single mass flywheel.

So... Upgraded clutch plus dual mass flywheel equals better hold w/silence?

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
So... Upgraded clutch plus dual mass flywheel equals better hold w/silence?

Not sure if there is a aftermarket dual mass flywheel setup.... Why don't you get a drop in disk? Seems like that would be the way to go considering what you're concerned with

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Not sure if there is a aftermarket dual mass flywheel setup.... Why don't you get a drop in disk? Seems like that would be the way to go considering what you're concerned with

If you read his responses, he already went that route... It didn't work out well for him at all. Drop in requires a healthy pp and flywheel. That's good to know because that means I should probably do a drop in BEFORE I go stage 2.

A_Bowers

If you read his responses, he already went that route... It didn't work out well for him at all. Drop in requires a healthy pp and flywheel. That's good to know because that means I should probably do a drop in BEFORE I go stage 2.

You can do it after you go stage 2. I noticed slip within 1000 miles and threw the car back into stock mode. From there you can prolong the life of the equipment until you get the parts replaced

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion

Op never said he went that route.,...... You can go with a drop in if your under 20k with no worry.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
Op, I'd call up Redline Speedworx. They did my install and were more than helpful in explaining to me what works and what doesn't. I ended up going with the stage 3 disc only setup for my k04. It's been great, and Redline did the install for $300. It's really kind of hard to beat that. This is the first i'm hearing about issues with PP and flywheel. I did have mine installed with 8k on the odometer, but I also drove it for 4k with it slipping pretty good on the oem clutch. I just wouldn't spend the money on the other options, but that's just based on my personal experience. If I was going to keep my gti for 100k miles, I may look at a full setup, but with the mk7 coming out in about a year or so, I can't justify spending all of the money on something I'm not going to pay to uninstall when I got to sell my gti.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Op, I'd call up Redline Speedworx. They did my install and were more than helpful in explaining to me what works and what doesn't. I ended up going with the stage 3 disc only setup for my k04. It's been great, and Redline did the install for $300. It's really kind of hard to beat that. This is the first i'm hearing about issues with PP and flywheel. I did have mine installed with 8k on the odometer, but I also drove it for 4k with it slipping pretty good on the oem clutch. I just wouldn't spend the money on the other options, but that's just based on my personal experience. If I was going to keep my gti for 100k miles, I may look at a full setup, but with the mk7 coming out in about a year or so, I can't justify spending all of the money on something I'm not going to pay to uninstall when I got to sell my gti.

Wow, $300? really? They're like an hour from me... that's a killer deal. How much for the disc?

You would actually pay $300 to have the disc removed to sell??

zsno

Passed Driver's Ed
My Stage 3 Daily Silent has been installed for more than 15K mi and I've not had any issues!