GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE GTI style exhaust

jform814

Hey all!

New to the forum, fairly new to my '11 TDI DSG. What started out as adding a hitch, snowballed into much more...as usual. So to add a true (mostly) hidden hitch (minus a Bosal) you need to get one for a GTI. The issue with the TDI and 2.5 is the exhaust tip location. This lead me to a GTI style exhaust. I didn't want to blow $700 - $1400 and decided on a AWE GTI split tipped cat-back.

I've seen and heard other systems for the TDI, but not an AWE. Anyone out there have one and have a audio/video clip to share? If not, any comments on sound, drone, fit and finish?

As a side note: The AWE is a 2.5" from the cat back to the split, where it goes to dual 2.25".

Thanks

dvannoy

Ready to race!
Honestly, buying a full cat back really isn't worth it for our cars, that is providing you have the dpf still intact.

Have an exhaust shop build you a custom "GTI Style" axle back with no muffler. Same thing as awe basically, and much much cheaper. I have $135 in my axle back, not including the valence:

Bad pic, but gives you an idea. I have the draw-tite hidden hitch also.

ZacL43

Hey all!

New to the forum, fairly new to my '11 TDI DSG. What started out as adding a hitch, snowballed into much more...as usual. So to add a true (mostly) hidden hitch (minus a Bosal) you need to get one for a GTI. The issue with the TDI and 2.5 is the exhaust tip location. This lead me to a GTI style exhaust. I didn't want to blow $700 - $1400 and decided on a AWE GTI split tipped cat-back.

I've seen and heard other systems for the TDI, but not an AWE. Anyone out there have one and have a audio/video clip to share? If not, any comments on sound, drone, fit and finish?

As a side note: The AWE is a 2.5" from the cat back to the split, where it goes to dual 2.25".

Thanks
I found a possible dual catback option on Ebay for $270 it is all stainless with 4in tips looks good to me try this a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130938044751?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

ZacL43

Honestly, buying a full cat back really isn't worth it for our cars, that is providing you have the dpf still intact.

Have an exhaust shop build you a custom "GTI Style" axle back with no muffler. Same thing as awe basically, and much much cheaper. I have $135 in my axle back, not including the valence:

Bad pic, but gives you an idea. I have the draw-tite hidden hitch also.
I am also a new owner of a 2011 TDI. I want the dual exhaust ( for the look ) and the hitch also. Can you post up some better pics please?

Thanks

jform814

Thanks ZacL43,
I actually considered one of those systems...but was concerned on longevity of welds in PA winters. I've seen stainless systems fall apart pretty fast here (i.e. my last car) lol

jform814

dvannoy,
That is exactly the look of my car minus a couple doors (and the exhaust as of today). What did the straight pipe do for the sound of the exhaust? Highway Drone?

Thanks

dvannoy

Ready to race!
Here are some better pics. With no muffler on the tdi you still get the same quiet sound. The turbo spools just a bit louder and the exhaust note is slightly louder only if you're directly behind the car. Otherwise no drone or anything noticeable. Honestly, have a local shop do it. Will be much much cheaper.

Putting the hitch to use:

jform814

Thanks for the info and pics... I'll head to my local exhaust guy. .. Looks great btw

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SharkBlueTDI

Dvannoy,
Are those 3.5" or 4" tips?
Looks like you're close to me (aristocrat), if you don't mind, who did the exhaust?

Thanks

dvannoy

Ready to race!
They are 4", part number 35124 if my memory serves me right. Marty's muffler in Holly Hill did it. I bought my car from Aristocrat btw. Will be there for my last free oil change this weekend.