GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Commuter

RAPPLE

Ready to race!
I know this is in regards to an older VW. but every one here seems to be pretty knowledgeable.

I'm looking at picking up a 2003 TDI with the ALH diesel motor. I've driven the car, I know it needs some suspension work, but nothing too serious (warn struts, I can replace them easily) needs a windshield, and it has an airbag light on. The only other thing that I can find, at this point, is at 85-100% right turn wheel lock there is a grinding noise, not 100% as to what that is. Did a little research and it seems to be common/easy fix for the most part. Needs a bath, probably an oil change.

I know that the car had the engine replaced at ~140K/mi. The chassis has ~175K/mi on it. It's a 5speed manual trans, clutch engagement feels normal shifting feels like it's supposed to. Overall mechanical operation feels and sounds fine from what I know.

So my question is, is there anything else that I should be looking for/at for potential problems that could arise or are present that I haven't seen?

I'm not super familiar with diesel engines.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Vacuum system and brake system. Also just beware MkIVs are full of bugs, but in exchange the TDI MkIVs will reward you with an easy 45-55 mpg or higher.

P.S. Manual is definitely the way to go on those. The autos are unreliable slush boxes. The DSG is the first good "auto" transmission VW has had IMO.

Whatnxt

Passed Driver's Ed
Timing belt and when it was last replaced and intake cleaned.

Also take a look at myturbodiesel.com

Brinkmen

VW NUT!

MotMot

Passed Driver's Ed
Timing belt and when it was last replaced and intake cleaned.

Also take a look at myturbodiesel.com

+1.

Timing belt should be every 60k. Probably terminal on a car of that age..

I had one of those and did 60k on it - selling at 120k. This was six years ago and I still see it chugging around town.

gliitch

Ready to race!
for the grinding noise, is it rubbing? especially if the suspension is worn..

also maybe the wheel bearings?