GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #155
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: '12 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013R View Post
i remember a post long ago about ECS brand rotors cracking, but you've probably researched it. maybe it was a different brand or just one guy or something.

thats a good upgrade though. i'd like to put STI brakes on my WRX, it might be a direct bolt up for me. my brakes are nothing special.
Apparently, any drilled rotor can crack in track usage. Given that this is my daily and I have too many hobbies to consider adding another expensive one like tracking, I feel pretty confident these will suit me well. Are a lot of rexy guys putting the STI brakes on? I imagine you could get a pretty decent deal from an STI guy who is upgrading.
thedude4bides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #156
2013R
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
Brembos would be a huge upgrade, do they clear then stock WRX wheels though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude4bides View Post
Are a lot of rexy guys putting the STI brakes on? I imagine you could get a pretty decent deal from an STI guy who is upgrading.
not a huge amount of info yet, just a couple threads. most say it bolts up, but some mention some wheel issues.

might just do pads.. but that would be far less of an upgrade.

my power is perfect. i need better brakes next.
2013R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #157
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Been playing rattle whack-a-mole lately. Just did the fuel line rattle DIY fix with foam paper. That worked well and I'm pleased. But two new ones just popped up:
1.) creaking/squeeking coming from dash instrument cluster over rough roads.
2.) random metallic rattling coming from center air vents under load. Can't recreate at will but happens randomly when giving it some gas in lower rpms.

I have some ideas about how to cure the dash creaking/squeeking but I'm not looking forward to tackling the center air vent rattle.

Superior interior FTW
Old 04-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #158
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Also this:

And something small I've put off for far too long:
Old 05-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #159
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Just did an oil change last night at 76k miles. It's a hair over the 5k intervals that I've been sticking to. I use the liquimoly service kit sold by deutsche auto (one of my favorite VW/Audi vendors). I feel that the 5k intervals with liquimoly is part of the reason my cam followers show minimal wear when I change them every 15k. Overkill? Maybe. Cheap insurance? Absolutely.

While I was at it I installed the CTS heat shield. It's a nice piece. I didn't do any before/after logs to measure any change in air temps so who knows how effective it really is. Can't hurt. I Just ordered a 30ft roll of gold heat reflecting tape to further reduce radiant heat.

Thank you to Brad for helping me out.

Not sure when I'll get to installing the Neuspeed charge/discharge pipes but it will definitely be after the tape arrives.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #160
jwal
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2012 VW Golf R
Quote:
I Just ordered a 30ft roll of gold heat reflecting tape to further reduce radiant heat.
Let me know how that tape works out. I want to do this.
jwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #161
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwal View Post
Let me know how that tape works out. I want to do this.
Will do
Old 05-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #162
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Latest rattle fixed with this ghetto mod:

Used a tiny bit of gorilla tape and it no longer sounds like my passenger door is falling off on rough roads. I'd say it's 95% better. Still a tiny rattle that o think I'd have to yank the door panel off to get to it. Maybe another day.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #163
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

The R is at Horizon Detailing getting C Quartz done. Can't wait to see my baby shine
Old 05-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #164
2013R
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Quote:
The R is at Horizon Detailing getting C Quartz done. Can't wait to see my baby shine
your car is still cherry enough to get an expensive wax job? i figured it would be all chipped up by now, especially with all your snow driving.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #165
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013R View Post
your car is still cherry enough to get an expensive wax job? i figured it would be all chipped up by now, especially with all your snow driving.
It's actually not wax. It is a coating and I'm getting the "UK" version, which is the best one you can get for harsh winters:

"CQuartz UK was developed in the United Kingdom for use in cold, damp climates where most nanotechnology coatings typically struggle. A new fast flashing carrier was used to enhance curing in difficult conditions, and the silica-quartz content was increased to a scarcely believable 70% creating an even harder and purer glass layer. These enhancements allowed CQ UK to be easily applied in temperatures as low as 41-degrees Fahrenheit (5-Degrees Celsius), with even higher levels of beauty and protection, making it the unofficial pinnacle of our consumer CQuartz line."

I had Opti-Coat done last summer and it failed this past winter so my detailer is hooking me up. I'll be throwing him a fat tip for it through.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #166
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Quote:
Latest rattle fixed with this ghetto mod:

Used a tiny bit of gorilla tape and it no longer sounds like my passenger door is falling off on rough roads. I'd say it's 95% better. Still a tiny rattle that o think I'd have to yank the door panel off to get to it. Maybe another day.
Be careful doing this. I did the same and once the sticky part of the tape gets into the door latch it ends up screwing the latch up. I had two door latches fail because of the tape. Fail as in the door wouldn't latch anymore and everytime I closed the door I'd have to beat on the latch and slam the door to get it to close
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #167
2013R
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Quote:
It's actually not wax. It is a coating and I'm getting the "UK" version, which is the best one you can get for harsh winters:

"CQuartz UK was developed in the United Kingdom for use in cold, damp climates where most nanotechnology coatings typically struggle. A new fast flashing carrier was used to enhance curing in difficult conditions, and the silica-quartz content was increased to a scarcely believable 70% creating an even harder and purer glass layer. These enhancements allowed CQ UK to be easily applied in temperatures as low as 41-degrees Fahrenheit (5-Degrees Celsius), with even higher levels of beauty and protection, making it the unofficial pinnacle of our consumer CQuartz line."

I had Opti-Coat done last summer and it failed this past winter so my detailer is hooking me up. I'll be throwing him a fat tip for it through.
so its like a super wax? thats sweet, i wish i could do that to my WRX these days...

another bad bridge day, with rock dust showering my car this morning. it always puts a damper on my day. i forgot to wax the front last weekend god dammit..
Old 05-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #168
2013R
FIA Formula 1 Champion

oh this cquartz is something you can do yourself? its only $35..

http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-paint-sealant.html

weird!

During the first 10 minutes, apply CQuartz to any spots that were missed. After 10 minutes, do not try to re-fill missing spots; it will stain the paint.

wax/coat stains the paint??