GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dedicated track car?

getfast

Ready to race!
Come on up to vir's charity lap day in the fall. Great way to see what tracking is like, but safe enough and cheap enough not to break the bank if you hate it.

Another great option is a "Hyperdrive" at any NASA Mid Atlantic event. That's one HPDE1 equivalent session with an instructor, usually for $50, and membership is not required. http://www.nasaracing.net/?page_id=85

(The VIR thing mentioned above is just touring laps behind a pace car iirc...)

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
They're sloooowwwwww. But honestly, the old cliche about driving a slow car fast blah blah blah is true for me, I have fun every time I drive one and I've never even tracked it.

Eventually.

Yeah except it's more like driving a slow car fast versus driving a fast car fast for me, any track car is going to be run flat out. I'd probably slap a turbo on a miata :lol:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
rwd
balance
basic setup
great shifter
going through corners flat out, while others have to brake (as troy said)
cheap
reliable

many many reasons miata's are used for track cars.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I really should drive one just to see what the fuss is about.

I'm strongly considering getting a little more involved in the track scene over the next few years and becoming an instructor so having driven the more common cars will be useful.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
If you're ever traveling through my area, you're welcome to drive mine, although it's a soso example.

Wood

Ready to race!
Another great option is a "Hyperdrive" at any NASA Mid Atlantic event. That's one HPDE1 equivalent session with an instructor, usually for $50, and membership is not required. http://www.nasaracing.net/?page_id=85

(The VIR thing mentioned above is just touring laps behind a pace car iirc...)

Yes, you are correct, they are paced, but you can usually get some space between cars and get some decent runs up the esses or through roller coaster. I did them a few years back and that's what hooked me on track driving. The hyperdrive is also a great point, but he'll still need rollbar and helmet to be allowed to run. Charity laps requires nothing.

getfast

Ready to race!
he'll still need rollbar and helmet to be allowed to run. Charity laps requires nothing.

And that's exactly why this is a bad idea:

you can usually get some space between cars and get some decent runs up the esses or through roller coaster

Not at VIR but people have in fact wrecked/died as a result of that jackassery during touring laps. Which is why many groups don't do 'em anymore...

Not to mention getting into bad habits after a bunch of laps (slow or not) without an instructor in the car.

Do what ya want but HPDE or Hyperdrive is the way to go, trust me :thumbsup:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Thanks y'all. I'll check this stuff out for drives in the Miata. Just signed up for the $50 Track Daze event at Shenandoah with the GTI :thumbup:

Wood

Ready to race!
And that's exactly why this is a bad idea:

Not at VIR but people have in fact wrecked/died as a result of that jackassery during touring laps. Which is why many groups don't do 'em anymore...

Not to mention getting into bad habits after a bunch of laps (slow or not) without an instructor in the car.

Do what ya want but HPDE or Hyperdrive is the way to go, trust me :thumbsup:

Oh agree completely, there are some major asshats at charity lap events, but then again there are also some at hpdes. It just depends on how well the organization runs the event and tolerates jackassery.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Oh agree completely, there are some major asshats at charity lap events, but then again there are also some at hpdes. It just depends on how well the organization runs the event and tolerates jackassery.

This is why I like running in the time trial group, people know what they are doing and the goal is to stay away from other cars.

Wood

Ready to race!
How are you liking the Miata, Wood? Any pictures?

No pictures yet, gotta clean it up this weekend, but undid but it. Fun little car. Needs typical maintenance work, but I knew that going into it. In the process of demos song the gti slightly if anyone is in the market for and xb w/tool or bfi stage 1 mounts.