GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ultimate Suspension Thread!

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
First I'd like to say when it comes to handling of any car the TIRES are the most important.
The goal of proper handling is:

- fit the best tires (for the apllication) you can get
- choose a suspension that helps the tires to do their job properly

So when it comes to suspension the point is that it's job is providing:

- the best possible basis for the tires
- reasonable ride comfort

Ride comfort is a very individual thing. Feel free to decide on your own and don't get
persuaded into something you don't like. There is NO need to run uncomfortable suspension.

The 2nd point is what we're talking about at this place, but I want to emphasize that every-
thing the suspension does (regarding handling) is to help the tires doing their very best.
The keyword here is "contact patch". There's no grip without it.

3. THE STOCK SUSPENSION
race cars, or street cars that have been heavily tweaked for cornering grip. A hallmark of such cars is good camber control in corners: when a race car or race-modified car goes around a curve, its wheels (or at least the heavily loaded outside wheels) are more or less upright. And with upright wheels, weight transfer is the dominant factor in determining handling balance. But things change quite a bit if, as with the stock Golf/Jetta IV, the wheels are allowed to lean "the wrong way" (i.e., take on adverse camber) in a turn....
To understand this rather weird-sounding point, let's consider for a moment something very unlike the Golf/Jetta: let's consider a "perfectly balanced" (50:50 weight distribution, AWD, etc.) car with a "perfect" suspension that keeps the wheels perfectly upright in a corner. Such a car will respond "perfectly" to all the well-known suspension tweaks: put stiffer springs or a bigger anti-roll bar at one end of the car, and that end will breakaway first in a corner. Hence if we stiffen the front end a bit, we get mild understeer; stiffen it a lot, and we get heavy understeer, heavy enough to keep even the most ham-handed of drivers from spinning off the road. What could be simpler than that?

True. That's why bigger bars at rear only don't work on a GTI. They aren't able to control
body roll and camber on front.
This causes positive front camber (positive values - NOT want you want) and understeer.

On a side note: If a rear bar is stiff enough to lift one wheel when cornering hard it doesn't
make any difference if it is lifted by half an inch or one inch. That's why I believe it also
doesn't make a real difference on dry tarmac if the rear bar is 24 mm or 28 mm when it's
stiff enough to lift the inner rear wheel. It does make a difference on wet surfaces though
where the 28 mm rear bar even at lower cornering speeds forces the inner wheel to lift and
makes driving in the wet much more dangerous.

Even more, most people who fit a bigger rear bar only don't know what they're are missing.
A bigger front bar also gives improved steering feel and turn in.

Keep in mind a bigger rear bar will have much less effect on roll compared to a bigger front
bar (or uprated bars both front and rear). The stock GTI rear bar is already similar stiff as
the (stock) front bar (see data on the stick official sway bar thread) and most roll 'happens'
where most weight is - on front.

The point is to keep some near stock balance to make the car handle better and not worse.

4. THE AUTOCROSS SUSPENSION
4) And we drop the car, front and back, as far as we possibly can, so as to lower the center of gravity (CG). Lowering the CG does not reduce roll -- it in fact increases it because of the oft-discussed rapid lowering of the front roll center, but we can counteract the increased rolling tendency simply by making the springs and bars still stiffer. The lowered CD does, however, reduce the total lateral weight transfer in a corner (the total transfer is simply a function of track width and CG height, and is independent of suspension design or spring/bar rates). This reduction in lateral weight transfer means the 4 tires are more evenly loaded in a corner, which increases overall grip and cornering speeds.

4-A) As a side note, dropping the car leads to a very low front roll center (it's actually below the ground now). For reasons we won't go into here (it's discussed in all the good textbooks), the roll center height controls lateral weight transfer at the initial instant of corner entry, and a lowered front roll center thus means better initial turn in.

Good point. There's MUCH misleading and even wrong information particularly from the sellers
of lowering springs. Most lowering springs don't reduce roll, they increase roll.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Still a great topic worth a BUMP. :thumbsup:

GENO

Passed Driver's Ed
Great writeup op and others who added some knowledge. Been following most of the steps described here and it's spot on. For instance after coilovers install, I've set ride height 26 up front (300lb springs) and 25 3/4 in the back(325lb) that gave my car look that most guys here hate. Car handles most neutral this way in everyday situation at least for me. Understeer is reduced (not drastically but to the point when I have more confidence in pushing it harder) compare to having front at 25.5 just half an inch made difference for me and I could feel how car respond under hard cornering going up or down and flat road turns.
Setting rear sway bar on hard and front on soft made car twitchy (maybe good for autocross guys) but high speed turns became very dangerous, when as I felt rear was about to catapult from the car in circular motion. Haven't tried Front on stiff and soft in rear yet, wondering what results would that setup deliver. Still on factory Pirelli tires and will switch to michelin PSS come next spring which I'm sure will force me to adjust both of the dampening settings again. Very interesting and informative write up guys.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Bump for a GREAT READ!

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
awesome thread. I look forward to finishing this when I have some free time over the weekend. : )

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
good find.....lots to read and it is so detailed