GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting ready for driving schools

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Hello folks, I just spent about 3 hours reading posts on brake pads, fluids, etc. ad nauseum... My issue is, some of the posts were outdated. For some background, I've done a lot of driving schools. Historically, I've used Hawk Blues and ATE Superblue brake fluids. Apparently, Superblues are no longer in existence. I'm also done with the Hawk Blues since they are corrosive to the finish of my wheels. HT-10s supposedly replaced (or is a newer compound) than Hawk Blues and DTC-60's supposedly replaced HT-10's.

I plan on using doing the events locally at Palmer Motorsports (in MA) and Thompson Speedway (in CT). From watching youtubes of the track, they don't seem to be too aggressive with brakes when compared to Watkins Glen, which is the track that I've done most schools with.

So I need clarification from the guys that still track their GTI's. Are these still the latest info?

1) Remove brake dust shields
2) DTC-60 front and rears (I'm a believer of using the same front/rear combo as the car was designed to have the same pad compound front/rear)
3) Motul 600/660 brake fluid
4) RS3 brake ducts (I got these part numbers from a Mk5 thread. Would these part numbers fit Mk6? 8P0863149A 8P0863150A). See below:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3279234&postcount=87

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Well that bites... Apparently, the DTC-60 is NOT available for our cars for the rears. So what do I use now?

Last edited:

red_stapler

Ready to race!
Apparently, Superblues are no longer in existence.

Correct, ATE had to stop selling it with the blue dye. Typ 200 is the same stuff, just the standard amber color.

HT-10s supposedly replaced (or is a newer compound) than Hawk Blues and DTC-60's supposedly replaced HT-10's.

DTCs are among the most aggressive racing pads:

Depending on your tires, that might be too much friction and you'll be getting into ABS way too easily. Here's a handy comparison chart:

I'm a believer of using the same front/rear combo as the car was designed to have the same pad compound front/rear

Edit: Well that bites... Apparently, the DTC-60 is NOT available for our cars for the rears. So what do I use now?

The people that design braking systems pretty much always recommend a lower friction compound on the rear axle. The Mk6 for example has ATE front and Bosch rear compounds from the factory. It's unlikely that they're the same friction levels.

That being said, I'f you're strictly a hawk guy and run r-compound tires, I'd reccomend DTC-15s on the rear with DTC-60 fronts.

3) Motul 600/660 brake fluid

Motul is pretty much the best stuff.

4) RS3 brake ducts

I'm sure they help, haven't tried them to quantify.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
I don't believe DTC-15s are available in the rear for our cars either. I only saw HPS and HPS 5.0. Per chance, would you know where the 5.0 would fit into you chart above? NICE CHART!

red_stapler

Ready to race!
I don't believe DTC-15s are available in the rear for our cars either. I only saw HPS and HPS 5.0. Per chance, would you know where the 5.0 would fit into you chart above? NICE CHART!

I guess I should have actually looked in the catalogs huh? That new "HPS race" compound looks interesting.

I'd imagine the 5.0s fit in between the HPS and HP+ on that chart, with a torque curve more similar to the HP+.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
I've been running carbotech xp10 pads and love them. They seem to be a bit easier on rotors than the hawk pads from what I've seen.

Are these available for our cars on both front/rear sets? Also, got a clue where they stack up compared to the chart shown? Thanks in advance!

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
The people that design braking systems pretty much always recommend a lower friction compound on the rear axle. The Mk6 for example has ATE front and Bosch rear compounds from the factory. It's unlikely that they're the same friction levels.

Hmmm..... now I'm going to have to take the wheels off and check them out!