GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New guy wondering about ordering a Golf R

Speed Devil

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey, whats up?

My names Mike, and over the last few months I've went from a general tuning fan to a VAG fan. Just wondering, the other night I went to Freehold VW and asked if they had any info on the Golf R, they said I would have more info on it then they would, so I'm curious if that would mean if they aren't getting it or no one made any offer to order or buy one.

For anyone in NJ, is freehold VW getting the golf r or no, and if thats the case, who is getting it?

Thanks for taking a look and replying now :)

jedredgti

Passed Driver's Ed
They are coming, but will be January 2012 from everything that I have heard. Car is now listed on the VW of America web site, but even some of their info is sketchy and you can't "build one" like the other models. They also "compare" it to some far lessor rivals, which is really odd and noticeable.

MarvinBen

Passed Driver's Ed
I put a deposit on my R in May. I am getting one of the first 600 imported to the US the week of January 9. I made it clear to my dealer that when my R arrives it is my car and not a demondstater for use by the dealer. For the first few months it looks like VW is building about 600 a month. There are about 600 US dealers so its is pretty clear you will not see a large number of Rs at any one dealer. At least at first most if not all of the Rs will be have been ordered and sold before they arrive at the dealer. My guess that if you first want to test drive an R before you buy or order one, you will may have to wait for a couple of years and buy a used one. There are some people that have been waiting for 3 years for the R so there was a good demand before the general public was even aware it is coming. My guess is because you can get the R in several colors, in a 2-door or 4-door and at two levela of equipment; people will order one to their R the way they want it. I am not an expert, but I think when the R32 was sold it was mainly one color without many choices. It is good business for VW to only import 600 a month. They will make all 5,000 in a little over 6 months and if they are lucky all will be pre-sold before they arrive. This only my guess I have no inside information. I know I wanted one, so I orderr it. The R is on the VW web page, it went up around October 29 It has errors, but it is on the page.

ImmI

Ready to race!
Also FYI it's manual only for US spec.
In case you were wanting a DSG.

Kanaric

I have a question as well. Never owned a VW before but I was considering this Golf R but I enjoy modding my rides and I was reading some about the GTI and how hard it is to tune those cars.

Hypothetically lets say I want to take this car to get a protune and E85 conversion. Is this possible or do you HAVE to buy like a APR (or another company) tune? I know for a GTI that this seems to be the case, but I was just curious if the R is any different.

TEFF

godfather
It depends on the company if it has the tools necessary to decript the ECU.

But i would recommend for tuning paths tested by others before with great results.

krische

vdubber in training
I have a question as well. Never owned a VW before but I was considering this Golf R but I enjoy modding my rides and I was reading some about the GTI and how hard it is to tune those cars.

Hypothetically lets say I want to take this car to get a protune and E85 conversion. Is this possible or do you HAVE to buy like a APR (or another company) tune? I know for a GTI that this seems to be the case, but I was just curious if the R is any different.

You would probably just have to buy something like APR's Stage 1 for Golf R. You have more options for other mods such as Intake, Exhaust, suspension, etc. but for the ECU there aren't many options. Especially for the Golf R, there are probably only a couple companies that have tunes.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
VW = no open source tuning/pro-tuning.

TEFF

godfather
APR
Revo Technik
HPA Motorsport
HGP Turbo
Superchips

These are a few companies which makes ECU tune

darian