GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of selling my GTI

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
Price sounds pretty spot on. I bought my 2013 GTI a little over 11 months ago. Did have a few upgrades like LED Tails and a RNS510, but I told him from the beginning I wasn't paying any extra due to any upgrades he did, which he was fine with since most car people are aware that mods add no value to a car (If anything they decrease it).

He had it listed for $18k, with 24,500 miles and I ended up buying it for $17250.

So Id think a one year newer car pretty much exactly a year later with 5k less miles would be right around $19k. Id prob list it for 19k, and you should be able to sell it for somewhere between $18-19k.

chip1

Ready to race!
Ok looks like we want to list the car for sale.

KBB @ excellent conditions states 16,500 - 18,395. Under 22,000 miles on the car.

Again will it be easier to remove most of the mods or try to sell it with the mods?

The one thing I won't change out is the springs but could remove all other items.

Thoughts/opinions?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Ok looks like we want to list the car for sale.

KBB @ excellent conditions states 16,500 - 18,395. Under 22,000 miles on the car.

Again will it be easier to remove most of the mods or try to sell it with the mods?

The one thing I won't change out is the springs but could remove all other items.

Thoughts/opinions?

Sure, if you price it on the lower side....realistically: ~$16k car, best case
Anything more than that and people will be looking at the MK7 instead

Other things to consider....is it still under warranty? Have an extended warranty or CPO warranty that would make it worth more money?
If none of the above...that makes it worth less

After a quick search, dealers have them listed around $17k and then lower from there (which is typically overpriced)....so to sell privately, it usually has to be a better deal than what dealers are offering since the dealers inspect them/refresh them and/or CPO them

Take off the mods & sell them separately to recoupe some money

Last edited:

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
I would be surprised if you were able to get $19k on a modified '14 even with the low miles. The '17 dealer inventory cars (brand new, warranty, etc.) I've seen advertised for just over that. A buddy of mine just picked up a '17 for $19,200 OTD.

I say try to get as high as you can, but I think it'll sell for a few thousand less especially with the mk7.5 refreshed design, tech, and new warranty from vw.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I would be surprised if you were able to get $19k on a modified '14 even with the low miles. The '17 dealer inventory cars (brand new, warranty, etc.) I've seen advertised for just over that. A buddy of mine just picked up a '17 for $19,200 OTD.

I say try to get as high as you can, but I think it'll sell for a few thousand less especially with the mk7.5 refreshed design, tech, and new warranty from vw.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
damn thats not bad for a brand new car.. I paid 21k for my used 2011(back in 2013).

I just checked the KBB private party for my 2011 and it says its worth 10k in "fair condition" which seems pretty decent to me for a 7 year old vehicle.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
damn thats not bad for a brand new car.. I paid 21k for my used 2011(back in 2013).

I just checked the KBB private party for my 2011 and it says its worth 10k in "fair condition" which seems pretty decent to me for a 7 year old vehicle.

I was just reading that the 2011-2012 Mk6's were rated as one of the more unreliable vehicles, as per consumer complaints. Its funny that the value is that high... it was car and driver, i think?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I was just reading that the 2011-2012 Mk6's were rated as one of the more unreliable vehicles, as per consumer complaints. Its funny that the value is that high... it was car and driver, i think?
hmm im not sure. I have had pretty good luck with my car. Ive had it for a little over 5 years now and just regular maintenance. No repairs needed so far.
I thought the kbb seemed a little high but im not gonna complain lol. ive only got 64k miles so that could be helping it a bit.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I've got a 2011 with 89k on the clock. I've done a lot of maintenance as preventative and thus far has been great.

I did the rear main seal when the tranny was out for a clutch at around 50k miles.

Replaced the timing chain tensioner as I had the old revision at around 80k miles; also did the cam bridge.

Previous owner had the intake manifold replaced

I had the water pump replaced under warranty when it started to fail around 50/55k miles.

Just ordered a bunch of maintenance items for when I hit 90k miles. The list includes spark plugs, oil + filter, Air intake cleaning kit, new latest revision PCV (as I don't want to blow the rear main lol), and a $58 (75 after shipping) pressure sensor for my secondary air injection system (stupid CBFA). Been chasing a P0413 code for a while and can't figure it out exactly.

In the future I'll need a carbon cleaning (and probably a catch can setup) and timing chain job.

I really do love my Gti and plan to keep it to 200k and beyond... I mean who doesnt like a car that can turn.... go fast.. and get 30+ mpg's when you granny it?

I do wish there wasn't so much maintenance that needed to be done though. Timing chain tensioner + cam bridge, and carbon cleaning aren't exactly cheap. Clutch wasn't either!

I can see why the mk6 - especially the older mk6's are rated as unreliable. But if your an enthusiast and don't mind working on cars - its not bad.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
this was just based on consumer complaints. the average consumer isn't as willing to do preventative maintenance. they'd rather own a toyota where they only need to ever change the oil every 3k.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
this was just based on consumer complaints. the average consumer isn't as willing to do preventative maintenance. they'd rather own a toyota where they only need to ever change the oil every 3k.
and just doing oil changes on a toyota will still net you 200k miles or more.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
sure it will. it's not broken if you dont look for it.
exactly lol.

Just keep turning the radio volume up until you cant hear that noise anymore.