GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 GTI vs Z28 Camaro 1999

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
LS1 powered camaros with the 6 speed manual can be 12 second cars with the right driver... most are about low to mid 13s.

So I say its a wash and depends on the driver.

Tireiron Mike

Ready to race!
310 HP for the stock LS1 Camaro vs what 270HP for your stage 2?

When and where are you doing this so I can offer support. But my money is on the Camaro.

Tireiron Mike

Ready to race!
Hmmm, Just did my calculations based on power to weight ratio. Maxtdi, is right. It's going to be damn close. Per horse the Camaro is carrying ~12 pounds of weight. Assuming you have 270 HP you are carrying ~10 pounds of weight.

It's going to come down to driver skill, tires, and differential. And it's in that order that will have the most impact on the drag race. Road Course, depends on the road itself but the Camaro will slight nudge out the you GTI until we figure in your Hankooks, and as long as the Camaro doesn't have a comparable tires (ie. still running stock tires which is doubtful) it fall down to driver skill and suspension.

Last edited:

veedubj011

Ready to race!
310 HP for the stock LS1 Camaro vs what 270HP for your stage 2?

When and where are you doing this so I can offer support. But my money is on the Camaro.

His 270hp is going to be wheel, where as the camaro is crank hp. An important thing to remember. Also, the camaro probably weighs a good 600lbs more and I doubt a 12 year old car is making its full power anymore anyway. I have raced a firebird ls1 automatic and it wasn't that quick.

If you race from a roll, you will smoke him.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
an LS1 puts down about 310-320 to the wheels.

How much does a stage 2 deliver to the wheels?

Halvie

WOOSA
His 270hp is going to be wheel, where as the camaro is crank hp. An important thing to remember. Also, the camaro probably weighs a good 600lbs more and I doubt a 12 year old car is making its full power anymore anyway. I have raced a firebird ls1 automatic and it wasn't that quick.

post up all the 270whp stage 2 dynos you can find....

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
A 99 camaro is about 3400lbs.... And you have to shift it a whole lot less than the MKVI the 1st gear ends at 55.

reillyse

Go Kart Champion

lolz

mkcsg

Ready to race!
You should take him,I was dead even from a 10mph roll with mine and i am stage 1, Every time he went to pull ahead he had to shift which would bring him right back next to me.I am sure at higher speeds he probably would have pulled from me.

His car also had exhaust,intake which dont really do much but just saying.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You should take him,I was dead even from a 10mph roll with mine and i am stage 1, Every time he went to pull ahead he had to shift which would bring him right back next to me.I am sure at higher speeds he probably would have pulled from me.

His car also had exhaust,intake which dont really do much but just saying.

Sounds like "he" can't drive for shit. A good intake is worth about 15rwp on an LS1 the stock one is shit.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
in stock form they only dyno about 20hp more than stage 2 gti's....but they weigh almost 450lbs more....it is a pretty tight race...depends on the driver and if you run from a dig or roll

the gti has a better powerband though

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Similar to wearing sweatpants outside of your house, "racing Camaro's = your life is officially over".