GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Digital or Analog speedometer?

TechJunky

Passed Driver's Ed
Which do you prefer to use primarily?

Coming from a 2008 Civic Si, which only has a digital speedometer, I've come to enjoy the digital readout of my speed. I'm not saying it's necessarily faster or anything, it's just what I'm used to. I feel like I have to focus on the analog speedometer and readjust (though whenever I drive any other car, I don't have much problem). I know it's simply a matter of readjusting and getting used to the analog, but that's why I'm questioning....which do you prefer? Do you like to keep it on digital and only change the MFI when you want to see other information, or do you leave it on a different screen and rely soley on the normal speedometer?

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
I prefer to use the digital. This is the first car I've ever driven that has had digital gauges. I'm kind of use to it now. I don't like using the analog ones. It does take some time to adjust to driving someone elses car who doesn't have it. I think that it's a good feature to have.

scirocco16V1

Passed Driver's Ed
the speedo was dead in my 95 Gti for years... so I guess my answer is digital since I am use to using an android app with HUD and oddly still use it

zee

Go Kart Champion
I use the digital. My steering wheel is adjusted in a way that blocks half the analog speedo.

Clempson13

Ready to race!
nope.... I use old fashioned round analogue speedo.

I use the mfd for consumption and fuel to empty... hehehehehe

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Digital for speedo here too because I don't need to see how much I'm slowing down or speeding up, since I can feel it. Just need to know if how much I'm over the speed limit.

Different gauges for different readings, if its boost it should be analog.

bobbymkvi

Passed Driver's Ed
I use the Analog since my digital speedo is off by about 1 mph. My gps matches my analog, so I go with that for accuracy. The MFD I use for fuel consumption.

dustinwark

Miesian
I like analog speedo/tach

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I can put a digital speedo up???
I didn't know that.

Anyway, it's still going to be Analog for me.
I prefer Analog because I look for the relative position of the needle rather than the actual number that the speedo reads.
Just like I prefer a glance at the relative position of the hands on a watch to tell me I have say - " about ten minutes" rather than looking digital readout telling me I have 13 minutes exactly.

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
I only use the Digital in LOW light situations like 5-6 o clock when its kinda dark but not dark enough for me to use headlights ... VW autodim the cluster forcing me to use the digital one _ - _

koolgreen

Ready to race!
Long distance in cruise I use digital in conjunciton with my gps.
City I use analog.

Regardless, both my digital and analog speedo's are inaccurate.

Using my GPS as a baseline the analog is high by 6kph and the digital is 3kph off at 100 kph.

IE when I am going 100 kph, my digital is reading 103 and the analog is reading 106.

I have read here that it is a common fault of the GTI and there is no fix at this point.
Hopefully an updated software version will come out to fix it.