GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

0w30, 0w40, 5w30 or 5w40..

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I'm waiting for the UOA on my car's third interval of Motul Specific to come back, and running Motul X-Max 0w40 now. I've had consistent luck with Motul historically in my Euro cars, and they always have choices for whichever manuf specs they want.

--Matt

Jhayesvw

Passed Driver's Ed
I've only done one oil change but Ive used Mobil 1 0w40 for years in my Passat.
No issues ever. That's what I just put in the GTI

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I've always used liquimoly 5w40.

phem0r

Thank you for all of the information people! It's either 0w40 or 5w40, the dealer did the 10k service the other day and put 5w40 in. I'm planning to do a 5k change in between the free changes they do at every 10k

I'll probably stick with 5w40, there can't be that much difference between 0w and 5w surely?

Welcome to the forums, and welcome to the US! :D:

Ty! :D. I'll start a thread soon with my old mk5 euro spec gti and my mk6 us spec gti soon!

finklejag

Ready to race!
I would use Castol 0W-40 over their 5W-40. The 5W-40 only meets Mercedes 229.3 and not their more stricter 229.5 oil spec. This is one of the hardest specs to meet in the oil industry. I have seen countless used oil analysis on Castrol 5W-40 and they never impress me.

The 0W-40 has a pour point of -76 and the 5W-40 has a pour point of -44. That would be another reason to use it were you live.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Lots of opinions on what oil. My take is if you change your oil / filter often enough & use any quality oil that meets the spec you will be OK.

DarienMidnight

Ready to race!
What do you guys think about Galp formula energy 5w40?

Brodin

same oil for tuned?

New to GTI. i have stage 2 unitronic on 93 pump. WHat oil do I use? So far I've done 3 oil changes with 5w40 mobile 1 before I even thought to ask if there is a difference between tuned and stock. This is my first piston car that isnt a camry so I am new to all this! I am coming from the rotary world and have just discovered TORQUE. This thing has tons of it for a 4 banger! I will always own a GTI as a daily now. Working for that R tho... I thank in advance for newb question!

Last edited:

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
I plan to use Mobile 1 0w40 in my GTI. It meets the VW spec & it is what I use in my other 2 cars. I like the idea of only have to keep one kind of oil on the shelf.

+2.

Been using M1 0W40 in my GTI for over 100k miles and she seems to like it the most. It's the oil I had the least amount of burnoff between 5k mile changes - about 1 quart during that period.

zrickety

The Fixer
New to GTI. i have stage 2 unitronic on 93 pump. WHat oil do I use? So far I've done 3 oil changes with 5w40 mobile 1 before I even thought to ask if there is a difference between tuned and stock.
The 5w40 is fine. Tuned doesn't really make a difference. However, these cars do generate a lot of heat. I am probably the outlier here, but I run synthetic 10w30 or 10w40. It's better for hot temps. 150k on a K04 car, the engine has no complaints .

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Castro Edge Euro formula 0W-40 A3/B4 or Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic...what ever is on sale at Cdn Tire... no issues up here.. change every 10K km with fresh VW filter

0-60Motorsports

Since 1998
Planning to use Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 in my upcoming oil change on the wifes MK6 Golf R. Sick of having to search for Castrol here in Bahrain.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The 5w40 is fine. Tuned doesn't really make a difference. However, these cars do generate a lot of heat. I am probably the outlier here, but I run synthetic 10w30 or 10w40. It's better for hot temps. 150k on a K04 car, the engine has no complaints .
Your car also goes the longest before carbon cleaning as well so, no argument here :thumbsup:. 10w30 or 10w40 aren't VW "whatever" Spec tho eh?

Lots of opinions on what oil. My take is if you change your oil / filter often enough & use any quality oil that meets the spec you will be OK.
+1 Agree wid this somewhat, I change oil on schedule with 5W30 or 5W40 Castrol oil from Costco. I don't give a rats ass if it says VW "whatever" Spec on the label, that spec is for the detergent additive package they add, the base oil is the same, so the key is to change your oil often enough. The detergent additive package suspend the dirt in the oil longer and empowers you the owner to supposedly drive your car on the same dirty oil until the VW/Audi oil management program tells you to change it, while that grit and sh!t in the oil grinds the crap out of the metal surfaces so they can sell you a new car coz it goes long miles between oil changes.

Think about it.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Thanks. There is nothing magical about these engines, turbo charged cars have been around for decades. Good oil is good oil, 5k changes, drive hard, have fun.
160k now...