GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How hot is too hot - Tracking a k04

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
PandaGti always has amazing help with real life testing.

All i can say ive done is removing the weather strip, And i noticed that the engine bay is cooler after i drive because the air is being forced through the cowl. I just put it on when it rains or when i wash.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
What water temp do you normal have Gunkata? If using the dash gauge does it ever get above the 190 point in the middle? My P3 cars gauge shows that 200 on the dash gauge actually corresponds to 230.

I think the few times I've checked it's been 220-230.

PandaGti always has amazing help with real life testing.

All i can say ive done is removing the weather strip, And i noticed that the engine bay is cooler after i drive because the air is being forced through the cowl. I just put it on when it rains or when i wash.

totally forgot about that, great tip there, I used that as well^

speedster

Go Kart Champion
I think the few times I've checked it's been 220-230.

totally forgot about that, great tip there, I used that as well^

Yeah. Mine is not that much higher. Peaking around 235, averaging 220-230. Running logs on the street I see oil temps are 35 higher than coolant. Which puts it at 255 - 265. I'm wondering if that's dangerous.

And keep in mind that's with 205 coolant. My guess is the difference between coolant and oil temps is even more once coolant gets up to 230.

Last edited:

mg_90

I don´t have a K04, yet :D, but with the stock IHI I could see the oil temperatures going above 130ºC easily, sometimes 135ºC, which also raised the water temperature since they share the heat exchanger and I wasn´t comfortable pushing the car in that situation...

After adding the INA oil cooler, quite expensive kit but very well put together, I really can´t see oil temperatures going higher than 120ºC.

My recommendation if tracking frequently is an oil cooler and like I will be doing a W/M setup to add an extra safe, and an upgraded IC of course.

Panda´s experience helped me to decide to put the oil cooler and I am really happy I did.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Yeah. I noticed the same thing. Running stock mode my car was still up at 230 F coolant temp.

Do you have a link for the INA oil cooler? I can't seem to find it. How difficult is the install?

Last edited:

mg_90

Yeah. I noticed the same thing. Running stock mode my car was still up at 230 F coolant temp.

Do you have a link for the INA oil cooler? I can't seem to find it. How difficult is the install?

INA´s website isn´t finished yet and there isn´t much info about it on the Internet, so best contact Issam directly to get more info.

The install isn´t very difficult, it´s just a simple bolt on, place the cooler (you can choose between a Mocal or Setrab unit), run the lines and put the sandwich plate.

Depending on your setup you can put the radiator behind the front lower grill like I did and it´s where I think it receives the best air flow, or if you have a FMIC or you are planning to install one just place it in the right wheel well behind the foglight.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
is anyone using that billet top thing from USP for the DSG?

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
INA´s website isn´t finished yet and there isn´t much info about it on the Internet, so best contact Issam directly to get more info.

The install isn´t very difficult, it´s just a simple bolt on, place the cooler (you can choose between a Mocal or Setrab unit), run the lines and put the sandwich plate.

Depending on your setup you can put the radiator behind the front lower grill like I did and it´s where I think it receives the best air flow, or if you have a FMIC or you are planning to install one just place it in the right wheel well behind the foglight.

Is there a thermostat valve to divert oil around the cooler when the car is cold?

speedster

Go Kart Champion

Thanks! Could you tell me how you mounted this? What hardware did you use?

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Is there a thermostat valve to divert oil around the cooler when the car is cold?

Yes. Its includes a sandwich plate thermostat that sits between the oil filter and filter socket.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
180 I think.

Last edited: