GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm done with ECS

handisnacks

Ready to race!
Not to argue with you, but just because a part looks the same doesn't mean its the same quality. I used to manage an auto parts store, and there was certainly a difference in OEM vs. aftermarket "OEM" parts in most cases if you really look. The thickness/quality of the metal/plastic, how well it was soldered, the gauge of the wire used, and all these things always seemed to directly relate to how long this aftermarket part lasted compared to OEM. Ive even heard of the parts being made in the same factory, with one line the "premium" line and the other the "cheap" line made with less quality parts and/or labor.

Not saying this is always the case either. Ive seen aftermarket parts made better and last longer than an OEM part too. But this is rarely the case with the "discount" parts that are a fraction of the price of OEM.
That's certainly true in some cases, and it varies not only by the aftermarket manufacturer but the make/model of the car as well. Some make better parts for certain cars.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
I was referring to the companies that market parts as OEM when they clearly are not.
Ok but that's usually pretty obvious, and if it's mismarked on a site like Amazon, you can easily return it to Amazon (I only buy parts from authorized amazon sellers so I can use Prime).
I'm also not here to argue with you since you apparently know everything already.
Ok? I never said I knew everything, but you clearly have an irrational jaded/biased view of aftermarket car parts.

iAhhMaze

Go Kart Champion
Ok but that's usually pretty obvious, and if it's mismarked on a site like Amazon, you can easily return it to Amazon (I only buy parts from authorized amazon sellers so I can use Prime).

Ok? I never said I knew everything, but you clearly have an irrational jaded/biased view of aftermarket car parts.
There are some decent aftermarket parts. As a painter i personally will never buy any i see to much aftermarket stuff just fit like complete garbage. Imho just not worth it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
If there's a $2 or $5 difference that's not a problem for most people.

My aftermarket PCV I bought was $45 on Amazon.
They have the EXACT same aftermarket part at ECS for $90.

See here: https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Engine/ES2681183/

That's a huge difference, plus shipping from Amazon is cheaper (free usually).

The only reason their oil filters are cheaper is due to the fact that they make up so much in shipping charges. That and if someone is buying a large enough bulk of them to get free shipping, they still make money, it's just a slimmer margin at that point.

I'm sorry, I don't believe you. I could be completely wrong and I'll retract my statement but I do not believe you bought the same exact aftermarket PCV for $45 that you linked from ECS that sells it for $90.

The reason being, Vaico is a German brand that even supplies OEM parts to German manufactures that then stamps "VW" or "Audi" on the part to sell them at a premium. Vaico parts, like OEM stamped parts will never sell below a certain price point UNLESS they are on closeout, where an argument about prices becomes irrelevant.

Unless you received the PCV in Vaico brand package with their known seal on the box, you did not buy a Vaico branded PCV.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
I'm sorry, I don't believe you. I could be completely wrong and I'll retract my statement but I do not believe you bought the same exact aftermarket PCV for $45 that you linked from ECS that sells it for $90.

The reason being, Vaico is a German brand that even supplies OEM parts to German manufactures that then stamps "VW" or "Audi" on the part to sell them at a premium. Vaico parts, like OEM stamped parts will never sell below a certain price point UNLESS they are on closeout, where an argument about prices becomes irrelevant.

Unless you received the PCV in Vaico brand package with their known seal on the box, you did not buy a Vaico branded PCV.
Well if it was a "clone" it was one the best I've ever seen. Not to mention that it worked just fine after installation and resetting the fuel trims. I'll reiterate what I said earlier, just because something is a "German brand" doesn't mean they don't also have their parts made in China. Almost EVERYTHING comes from China now, whether you choose to accept that or not is up to you.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

TimS

Go Kart Newbie

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I saw this and felt the need to clear something up.

Vaico is not an OEM supplier. Neither are Meyle, Uro, HT, or Rein; these are all the German equivalent of Pep Boys or Autozone brands. ECS lists the factory part number with every part they sell, presumably to help with searches. It doesn't mean it's an OEM part.

Just adding this bit because I've had bad experiences with Vaico, Meyle and Uro parts being garbage.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Annoyed with ECS also. I purchased an item from their website and paid a premium because they advertised "Same day shipping if ordered now". Bit the bullet and placed the order, i ordered the part on Monday, item didn't ship until Wednesday. From there it was delivered the following week on Thursday. East coast to West coast shipping and order processing took 10 days total from the time i placed the order to get to my door. It takes 2-3 days for packages to arrive from china, absolutely ridiculous. I missed a install date because of their shitty shipping. I posted a negative review on their Facebook page and they blamed Fedex for it. Fedex did nothing wrong, ECS did not not touch the package for over 24 hours and didn't have it shipped until Wednesday, shipping info shows all they did was create a label on the Tuesday and it was actually picked up by Fedex on Wednesday. Shitty service for overpriced parts. If i'm overpaying for parts i at least expect top notch service.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I haven't bought anything from them for the longest time. Their prices aren't that bad but the shipping charges are REDONKULOUS, especially if the total is less than $50.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I still order from them, but it pays to comparison shop, especially for maintenance parts. I've found I can get a lot of OEM stuff cheaper from my local dealer through vw's parts website.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Their prices aren't that bad but the shipping charges are REDONKULOUS, especially if the total is less than $50.

A lot of stuff, if the total of the order is over $49, ships for free now

I ordered some wheel spacers, lug bolts, strut bearings, and some other miscellaneous hardware....$0 for shipping

Just sayin'

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
A lot of stuff, if the total of the order is over $49, ships for free now

I ordered some wheel spacers, lug bolts, strut bearings, and some other miscellaneous hardware....$0 for shipping

Just sayin'

Weird. I ordered some bolts and hub rings and the total was over $50 and they wanted $21 in shipping, so I just cancelled the order. Odd that some people get charged heavily and others don't. It's a major deciding factor to pay nearly as much as your purchase for shipping. They have to make a killing on their shipping - I don't know anyone that charges that much to ship small items - I can't and won't support a company that just runs its customers like that. I just got the same products off of Ebay for a significant amount less direct from the manufacturer.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I agree that shipping costs DO play a role

Well the spacers had free shipping & then I just kept adding shit...so I dunno
Anything that said free shipping or had the little truck shipped free too, so I guess it all was included (the stuff that I picked/bought)

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i bought a downpipe exhaust gasket and some nuts for a downpipe install and i was quoted 5.56 for shipping(per their shipping estimator in the cart).. completed the paypal transaction and it instantly jumped shipping up to like 19.66... i sent a message to their live chat and talked to them and i guess paypal defaults to UPS ground shipping where as they $5 shipping was from fedex economy... so she switched it over to the fedex for me.
They recommended i go through the cart to choose my actual shipping option instead of just hitting the use paypal now from the cart button as paypal just uses certain default shipping methods apparently?

Either way they took care of it for me.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^I know what you're talking about

On the PayPal site, there is a drop down for the shipping method (& cost) by your shipping address IIRC