GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best pendulum mount?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
My car is a DSG w/ VWR subframe pucks, 034 pendulum, and 034 street mounts. I only notice it when the AC is on. Otherwise it doesn't phase me at all. The first 2-3 weeks it was a little noisy in the low RPMs/idle, but once everything broke in it eventually went away. I still get a slight bit of wheel hop though, so I will probably have to go to a stiffer motor mount/trans mount.

If you're worried bout NVH, simply lay down some sound deadening. My Cobb exhaust has an awful exhaust drone at highway speeds. A little bit of damplifier pro and it's like I put the stock exhaust back on.

Oh and what I have read is that the APR is simply the 034, but with an ARP bolt, which is why it's more expensive. The pendulum doesn't really have a huge effect on NVH--it really depends on what you have for a subframe mount.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Oh and what I have read is that the APR is simply the 034, but with an ARP bolt, which is why it's more expensive.

The pendulum doesn't really have a huge effect on NVH--it really depends on what you have for a subframe mount.

Not true on both accounts here.

Read what brobst said on page 1....I was there swapping the mounts for him when we were trying to diagnose a noise issue (which ended up being the metal bushings in the 034 arm rattling).
The stock arm has rubber bushings which create more slop, but allow less NVH because of that "slop" in the rubber bushings.
Versus there will be more NVH with a stiff metal bushing (no slop at all)

And the arms/mounts are different designs...

034:

APR:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Well i was gonna save up for the APR pendulum mount but i think Im just gonna go with 034 as it seems to be a quality piece from all your guys reviews/comments.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
GD! They raised their prices a lot.

Its $215 for the pendulum mount wasn't it like $180 before? They also raised their prices on the engine/trans mount to $255 from $240.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i should have just bought the 034 mount months ago... oh well.
Now that there is only like a 20-30 dollar difference ill probably just buy the APR mount.. i think it is just a little bit better IMO.

lleron

Ready to race!
Why not the ECS mount which is ~$150? It's similar in design to the 034 mount. I'm looking to install mine this weekend and can provide feedback as well.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Not true on both accounts here.

Read what brobst said on page 1....I was there swapping the mounts for him when we were trying to diagnose a noise issue (which ended up being the metal bushings in the 034 arm rattling).
The stock arm has rubber bushings which create more slop, but allow less NVH because of that "slop" in the rubber bushings.
Versus there will be more NVH with a stiff metal bushing (no slop at all)

And the arms/mounts are different designs...

034:

APR:

Both use a spherical bearing and both are very similar in design. The largest differentiator is the ARP bolts with the ARP mount. ARP bolts are expensive, hence why the APR is more expensive. Not sure how you could otherwise come to a different conclusion.

I noticed 0 difference in NVH after replacing my dogbone with the 034 piece, and I already had VWR subframe pucks/034 mounts in place. It's a small bushing--replacing it is not going to have any huge effect on NVH regardless of what you choose.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Both use a spherical bearing and both are very similar in design. The largest differentiator is the ARP bolts with the ARP mount. ARP bolts are expensive, hence why the APR is more expensive. Not sure how you could otherwise come to a different conclusion.

I noticed 0 difference in NVH after replacing my dogbone with the 034 piece, and I already had VWR subframe pucks/034 mounts in place. It's a small bushing--replacing it is not going to have any huge effect on NVH regardless of what you choose.
We turned the ac on with the 034 pendulum and with the stock pendulum. There was a stark contrast. I'm glad you didn't have any vibes, but I just want to let people know in case they get vibes. This was with 034 engine and trans and vwr subframe pucks.
Perhaps my smfw contributes since it isn't dampened like dmfw

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

i can see a difference just in bearing orientation.. just visual inspection one coul allow north south travel while the other could allow more east west travel.. Other then that yes they both use spherical bearings. 034 being a "Aurora Spherical Bearing " and APR being a "PTFE-lined spherical bearing". The difference between both bearing or whether they are the same i honestly cant tell you. APR comes with all 3 bolts use in replacement and they are ARP bolts. 034 only comes with 2 transmission bolts and you would need to buy a new stretch bolt for the mounting to the sub-frame.
Both are Billet Aluminum construction. 034 is T6-6061 APR does not list what class aluminum it uses.

But there are some difference the biggest being the mounting orientation of the bearing.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
i can see a difference just in bearing orientation.. just visual inspection one coul allow north south travel while the other could allow more east west travel..
But there are some difference the biggest being the mounting orientation of the bearing.

Point well taken, fair enough