GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf r downpipe install.

Grannycar

Ready to race!
Hi guys, went to go do my down pipe install this weekend and did fine some write ups on it how ever they where all for mk6 gti's. Now it seemed no possible way to get the last downpipe bolt out all the way lower back with out removing the center driveshaft? Is that the only way to get at that bolt? I didn't have any triple squares so I had to bolt everything back up and was kinda pissed lol. And if you guys know what size the triple square is for the driveshaft?

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
You'll need to disconnect the front of the driveshaft and move it to the side to get the DP out. No need to completely remove it.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I believe you have to remove one side of the driveshaft as EvoKnvl eluded above. You COULD get it from the top by removing the intake and using an extension + 16mm wobble socket at the end.

Doing it from the bottom is doable, but a pain. It was like a single click at a time with a ratcheting wrench. I have never done it on an R, but I have read that the driveshaft needs to be disconnected on one side.

rasetsu

Ready to race!
It's at a 2-3 person job to DIY in a home garage without a lift. The drive shaft gets in the way a lot even when disconnected and shifted over. It's a PITA.

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
2 man is fine. It's actually not that bad. I've done 2 of them. And 1 time going back to stock. 1x ona lift and the other time on the ground. You'll want some boxes or someting to help support the DS. Once you move it out of the say, you'll have room to get the DP out. Feel free to rotate the driveshaft to help remove the DS bolts. I believe throwing it in neutral lets you rotate it and then putting it back in gear should lock it. It's been awhile so I don't remember for sure. And do the ones in the front near the DP. You may also have to loosen the midsection that supports the DS so you get move it around more.

lilfleck is correct. I remember taking off some bolts going from the top, but I honestly don't remember which ones.

Grannycar

Ready to race!
Thanks guys. I'm using a lift at work to do it. I had everything removed minus that last bolt so now I know to remove the d/s it should go smooth as butter.

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
Uhhh this is not a 2-3 person job. I replaced my downpipe in 3 hours by myself with the front on jack stands. You just have to take it step by step. The hardest part is getting upper forward nut off the downpipe flange. I used a 1 foot wobble extension to get it.

fatvdub

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah one person with the car lifted in the front a couple hours should be fine, please read and re-read the DIY to save time.

Did mine by myself before work, I should have re-read the DIY it would have saved me some time.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Uhhh this is not a 2-3 person job. I replaced my downpipe in 3 hours by myself with the front on jack stands. You just have to take it step by step. The hardest part is getting upper forward nut off the downpipe flange. I used a 1 foot wobble extension to get it.

GTI DP install is not the same as R DP install. It is quite a bit more involved and, in at least some cases, involves dropping the prop shaft. It's easily a few hour job, usually more for one person in a garage with jack stands.

--Matt

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
GTI DP install is not the same as R DP install. It is quite a bit more involved and, in at least some cases, involves dropping the prop shaft. It's easily a few hour job, usually more for one person in a garage with jack stands.

--Matt

I was speaking of an R downpipe. Yes there is "more involved" meaning driveshaft. Its 3 bolts and you move it to the side.