GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17" wheels with Audi TT RS brakes?

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
So as of now I am not 100% sure, but it looks like the car I bought has TT RS brakes, at least on the front. They look identical to this from what I can tell.
http://store.blackforestindustries.com/tt37frbrupki.html

I also believe this car has Avanti Hybris wheels. They have Avanti caps, and look identical to these:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...utoModel=GTI&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=2-Door

I love the stopping power of the brakes, but am looking to switch out the wheels with these in 17" Alzor 621:

The problem I am facing is that the one site I saw the brakes listed at states they require 18" or larger wheels. Is this due to the height or the width of the calipers? Would I be able to fit the 17" wheels, or would I have to stick to 18"?

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Not possible, its due to the 370mm rotors. It pushes out the caliper pretty far out, that 17" aren't gonna clear it at all. 18" barely clears it depending on the wheel design also.

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
Not possible, its due to the 370mm rotors. It pushes out the caliper pretty far out, that 17" aren't gonna clear it at all. 18" barely clears it depending on the wheel design also.

So what should I look for, as in what measurement should I be looking for to fit these brakes? I know very little about this. I think these wheels come in 18" as well. But I would really like to drop down to 17".

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!

I am in the process of doing just that but, to be honest, most of it is going over my head. Not sure how to take in to account for offset and where the spokes might not clear depending on angle. And how big of a spacer I could use and still have room inside the wheel well. But really, just wanted to know if there was a corresponding measurement to look for that would be definitive if the wheel would fit over the larger caliper height-wise. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

jay745

With ttrs brakes, you'll need 18's. Some 18's won't fit though. Your best bet is to take the caliper off and create a cardboard cut out of the exact dimension which you can then use to measure the wheel. Online shopping is hard because you don't have that option before you buy. A lot of people just choose a wheel that others have proven to work with whatever brakes you're running. Stoptech makes a cutout that you can download but I haven't seen one online for ttrs.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/bbk-wheel-fitment-templates

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
With ttrs brakes, you'll need 18's. Some 18's won't fit though. Your best bet is to take the caliper off and create a cardboard cut out of the exact dimension which you can then use to measure the wheel. Online shopping is hard because you don't have that option before you buy. A lot of people just choose a wheel that others have proven to work with whatever brakes you're running. Stoptech makes a cutout that you can download but I haven't seen one online for ttrs.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/bbk-wheel-fitment-templates

Ok. Thanks for the info. Starting to think I might be better off taking the ttrs set off the car and getting something else. Wonder what it would sell for.....

jay745

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Ok. Thanks for the info. Starting to think I might be better off taking the ttrs set off the car and getting something else. Wonder what it would sell for.....

They're not worth anything

That said, I would be willing to do you a huge favor and take them off your hands :D

clownish

just clowning around
That is a great find.

OE Rotors for the ttrs calipers have gone way up in price. And aftermarket rotors are not cheap. Been thinking about downsizing rotor size or selling the kits I have on my golfs. Maybe worth getting new brackets and resizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

likkleindian

Go Kart Newbie
Out of curiosity, why is it so important to you to go down to 17" rims? If I had TTRS brakes no way in hell I would give up that stopping power.

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
Out of curiosity, why is it so important to you to go down to 17" rims? If I had TTRS brakes no way in hell I would give up that stopping power.

Mostly just as a cost saving effort. 17" tires are cheaper. But also it is kind of overkill for where I live. The closest freeway to me is about 3 hours away, and I only get to drive at freeway speeds about 1-2 times a year. It is all 55 mph highways around here. Also, with 17" tires I can get a thicker side wall and have more comfort. And with the fact that this thing has H&R ultra lows and no way for me to really get it boosted up more for the foreseeable future, comfort would be a huge plus. Really, this entire car is a bit of overkill for what I need. Having Uni stage 2 sounded awesome when I picked it up, but I am quickly realizing that I have little need or ability to really use it here. I hate where I live....

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie

You would certainly consider it if you have/use winter wheels.. 18" winter tires are crazy expensive.

OP, im actually in the same boat as you.
I have a ttrs brake kit but still haven't put them on my car bc I don't want to have to use 18" winter wheels and very expensive 18" winter tires to clear them. I'm using 17" Salamacas as my winter wheels that I took off my TDi before the buyback.

As others said, 17s will never fit. The 370mm rotors are too big. Even some 18s won't fit, mainly due to the barrel of the rim not being big enough, but also some due to spoke design.
My 18" Rotiforms fit fine, and without spacers, but again my issue is winter wheels, not my summers.

I've researched options over the last few months, and Edy made the suggestion I was going to. You can get the brackets that allow you to use 340 or 345mm rotors, which is what I was considering doing.
Their crazy expensive though just for brackets which is why I haven't done that. With shipping and $ conversion,it's basically $300..

What I'm leaning more toward doing now though is just selling the ttrs brake kit and buying a set of Porsche 986 boxster base calipers. I found those for $229 shipped for both fronts.
Then buying these adapter brackets, which end up being about $150 shipped to the US.
http://creationsmotorsport.com/index.php/shop-cars/vw/brake-upgrade-porsche-calipers-brembo-vag-vw-audi-8.html

Ends up being only about $80 more than the ttrs brackets, but ends up actually being cheaper bc you don't have to then buy 340/345mm rotors. These brackets are made for the stock 312mm gti rotor size.

This has been my thinking as far as what to do with the ttrs brake kit. I know your issue is slightly different, but at least this gives you some more possible options.

Last edited:

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
You would certainly consider it if you have/use winter wheels.. 18" winter tires are crazy expensive.

OP, im actually in the same boat as you.
I have a ttrs brake kit that I got the guy I bought my gti from to throw In for only $200 extra, but still haven't put them on my car bc I don't want to have to use 18" winter wheels and very expensive 18" winter tires to clear them. I'm using 17" Salamacas as my winter wheels that I took off my TDi before the buyback.

As others said, 17s will never fit. The 370mm rotors are too big. Even some 18s won't fit, mainly due to the barrel of the rim not being big enough, but also some due to spoke design.
My 18" Rotiforms fit fine, and without spacers, but again my issue is winter wheels, not my summers.

I've researched options over the last few months, and Edy made the suggestion I was going to. You can get the brackets that allow you to use 340 or 345mm rotors, which is what I was considering doing.
Their crazy expensive though just for brackets which is why I haven't done that. With shipping and $ conversion,it's basically $300..

What I'm leaning more toward doing now though is just selling the ttrs brake kit and buying a set of Porsche 986 boxster base calipers. I found those for $229 shipped for both fronts.
Then buying these adapter brackets, which end up being about $150 shipped to the US.
http://creationsmotorsport.com/index.php/shop-cars/vw/brake-upgrade-porsche-calipers-brembo-vag-vw-audi-8.html

Ends up being only about $80 more than the ttrs brackets, but ends up actually being cheaper bc you don't have to then buy 340/345mm rotors. These brackets are made for the stock 312mm gti rotor size.

This has been my thinking as far as what to do with the ttrs brake kit. I know your issue is slightly different, but at least this gives you some more possible options.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards selling my RS set too. I am in the U.P. of Michigan, so we get a ton of snow. I would like to be able to do 17" for summer/spring, and maybe switch out to cheapo 16" steelies for the winter, as anything I put on will get chewed up due to ice, snow, salt, and sand. I am almost to the point where I would be willing to trade the brakes, and the H&R ultra lows for a stock suspension and DG springs, and some decent brakes that will fit my needs. If this was a track car, or a show car it would be a different story. But there aren't even any tracks within 5 hours of me.