GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can i run a K04 on factory tune?

sean@apr

Ready to race!
Sean,
When you say an APR tune returned to stock, you mean the ECU is flashed back with the VW factory tune? or the APR stock option that you do set from the cruise stick?

Thanks!

Flashed back. I'm going to edit the post to be more clear.

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
The MAF measures the air that actually goes into the intake tract and fuels based on that. The boost request/actual system has 0 to do with fueling.

You can run a K04 on stock software and it will run mostly like a stock car. Spool will be a little late, but that's all. Shouldn't throw any codes or anything.

Thank you for this clarification.

OP, get the k04 and tune on the schedule that is most convenient to you... That fits your goals.

You don't need to worry about k04 + stock software, but you'll definitely not be having much fun.

Sebastian89

Ready to race!
The MAF measures the air that actually goes into the intake tract and fuels based on that. The boost request/actual system has 0 to do with fueling.

You can run a K04 on stock software and it will run mostly like a stock car. Spool will be a little late, but that's all. Shouldn't throw any codes or anything.

Interesting. So fueling compensates properly for the actual CFM that you get from the k04 on factory file? (not APR "stock" file) and fueling would be adequate for the boost level? I had a really hard time getting the k04 file on my ECU, and I was strongly advised against driving it unless I absolutely had to... (i was forced to since it's my only car) and my boost definitely did not peak at 11 psi either...
So if you get more air... and more fuel... you make more power right? then why bother with a tune? ( <--- joke obviously)
I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or anything, I'm actually looking to understand this since it's a polar opposite from what I was told.
So you say you can safely drive the car with a k04, without issues, and i'm not talking just a couple of miles to the shop to get the tune on there...
If so, i apologize for the misinformation and I will edit it accordingly :thumbsup:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave but I had a question related to this and didn't want to create a new one.

I'm about to pull the gun on an IE K04 kit. I'm currently Stg2 APR. Knowing I can run K04 on stock tune while staying out of boost mostly makes me believe I can do the same with Stg2 tune.

With that said, I imagine you can use any K04 hardware married to any K04 tune right? I'm probably going to stick with APR since I'm already Stg2 and they will charge me only an upgrade fee to go up from what I have so it makes sense. I just want to make sure I can do that.

Thanks.

webbry4

Ready to race!
Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave but I had a question related to this and didn't want to create a new one.

I'm about to pull the gun on an IE K04 kit. I'm currently Stg2 APR. Knowing I can run K04 on stock tune while staying out of boost mostly makes me believe I can do the same with Stg2 tune.

With that said, I imagine you can use any K04 hardware married to any K04 tune right? I'm probably going to stick with APR since I'm already Stg2 and they will charge me only an upgrade fee to go up from what I have so it makes sense. I just want to make sure I can do that.

Thanks.

Yes you can do that. Too bad you're not in Utah. Locals get 15% off all IE product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FriggenT1

Banned

Thanks.

Isn't IE k04 kit just a cts kit? Contact cts and ask them for a special price.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Dont run stg2 map on k04

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Please discuss? I mean, I don't plan to, but I don't think I'm going to get the K04 tune immediately installed after getting the hardware installed.

The shop I'm going to for installation doesn't do APR so I will have to schedule another day for the APR tune at the other shop...

webbry4

Ready to race!
Isn't IE k04 kit just a cts kit? Contact cts and ask them for a special price.

Slightly different but k04 is k04 lol and I would assume you can run it as long as you don't get into high boost but brobst will be much more knowledgeable than I will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Please discuss? I mean, I don't plan to, but I don't think I'm going to get the K04 tune immediately installed after getting the hardware installed.

The shop I'm going to for installation doesn't do APR so I will have to schedule another day for the APR tune at the other shop...
I'm pretty sure my tuner told me not to do that. The ihi and k04 are different. If you try and put the tuned ihi parameters on the k04, you will probably have poor ride quality. Its best to run on stock tune.
Things like to wgdc and boost requests wont make sense to the turbo. Analogy is like trying to go 80mph in second gear

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I'm pretty sure my tuner told me not to do that. The ihi and k04 are different. If you try and put the tuned ihi parameters on the k04, you will probably have poor ride quality. Its best to run on stock tune.
Things like to wgdc and boost requests wont make sense to the turbo. Analogy is like trying to go 80mph in second gear

Gotcha. Well I think putting it back to stock shouldn't be a problem except that my stupid APR passkey doesn't work that was given to me at the tuner shop. :mad0259: lol. I'll figure something out.