GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs Golf R?

nyc_bee

Dear friends

I am planning to buy a car for my daily commute, in North East, NY NJ PA CT area, not able to decide between GTI and Golf R. I know the Golf R has more power and torque but lack of DSG makes it slower than a GTI despite all that. What I am debating is that, is paying all that extra for Golf R is worth ? Will the AWD on Golf provide some extra benefit over GTI in winters and snow?

Any user experiences about these cars in North East or anywhere about winters and snow driving.

PS: I might be a bit personally biased towards GTI! I love that baby!! :drool:

Ramos

Passed Driver's Ed
You are aware that the GTI is also a Golf right? The R is definitely the better car especially in the snow .. The only question is whether you can justify the price difference

jackgti1

Go Kart Champion
Golf R -/- GTI!

#antigolfrcampaign

No but I would say base your decision on MT vs. DSG is price isn't a concern

Unanimous Shoe

Passed Driver's Ed
Get a GTI + Stage 1 and you'll forget all about the Golf R... not to mention save $6000 - $12,000 depending on what trim you want on the GTI...

confuc1ous

Go Kart Champion
They're really 2 different cars. For my uses, I have an SUV I use in the winter time, however if its your year round car, an awd car will suit you better in the weather we can get sometimes in the northeast. My speed6 in the winter, beast mode.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Look if money is not an issue and you don't mind driving a stick then get the R. Bigger turbo, bigger brakes which are safer (gti brakes are not great) and AWD which is the best part of it all. I use to drive an MKV R32 and during snow storms I was king. Also, you never have to deal with torque steer like you will with the gti. In my opinion the R's price is awesome considering what you get.

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
I'd say if you have got the cash go with the R. I've lived in NE all my life and haven't really ever had trouble with FWD in the snow, but AWD would be great.

Plus having the R you would be driving a pretty unique car. Inconspicuous enough yet to those who know it totally bad ass.

Get the R.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
I got a fully loaded DSG GTI, so Golf R is not so expensive compared to mine. The only difference is a little more power (FSI + K04) and AWD. In Canada AWD would be greatly appreciated for winter.

In Canada, Golf R comes only fully loaded, and only with manual.

If it was DSG, i would get a Golf R in couple of days ...:mad:

Too bad VW only brings it in manual.

Anyway, I'll get a Touareg TDI Exec next year.

nyc_bee

totally agree, don't know what VW decided not to bring in Golf R with DSG! If the Golf R would be there with DSG, then there is not debate! Golf R with DSG

bBiz

Passed Driver's Ed
Simple. If you want the better car, then go for the R. If you really really want dsg that bad, then just get the GTI. Either way, you win.
Just my opinion.

Todd@ECS

Ready to race!
i drive my stage 2 gti in the winters and it does just fine. never had an issue with traction or making it up a hill. just throw some snow tires on and let the traction control do its thing.

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
i drive my stage 2 gti in the winters and it does just fine. never had an issue with traction or making it up a hill. just throw some snow tires on and let the traction control do its thing.

Winter tires are mandatory here during winter. And I found it's better to remove traction control for certain situations. ESP kills the gas to the engine, so in these situations, you're not moving so far...

Like getting uphill when slippery, or getting out of a parking space when roads are full of snow/ice. In Montreal, you park on the side of the road so you're IN the icy snow.

A friend of mine is selling his 2011 Fully loaded DSG for a Golf R. He wants AWD !

I don't have any source now, but I've read somewhere that AWD sales are increasing in Canada. Every auto-maker that have AWD vehicules experienced this. And I'm pretty convinced this is not useless.

Better having an AWD with good winter tires than FWD with good winters...

Both vehicules are great, though choice :mad0259: