GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 08-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #29
havocsrt
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneedscoffee10 View Post
You're going to love it! Great build - love the AP mount point. I tried to put mine on the plastic trim piece between the headlight switch and the steering column - wasn't happy with it. I'll be revisiting it to the windshield as soon as my new sticky mount arrives.

Will be cool to compare data logs for Stratified vs Freektune after you're all set up. I'm doing a dyno tune with Freektune to get dialed in in the next week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My AP is very comfortable in that location, i dont like the idea of sticking things to my dash so i went with windshield mount, i love it so far. I would be interested in comparing data as well. Im very happy with Stratified's customer service. They have their own F23t in an MK6 development car, so they can really dial it in and alter the tune for best drivability as well as power.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #30
timneedscoffee10
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 VW GTI w Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocsrt View Post
My AP is very comfortable in that location, i dont like the idea of sticking things to my dash so i went with windshield mount, i love it so far. I would be interested in comparing data as well. Im very happy with Stratified's customer service. They have their own F23t in an MK6 development car, so they can really dial it in and alter the tune for best drivability as well as power.

Nice - Freektune also recently just installed the F23T in their in-house MK6 . It's great having some actual independent competition in this space for our cars!

Old 08-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #31
havocsrt
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Nice - Freektune also recently just installed the F23T in their in-house MK6 . It's great having some actual independent competition in this space for our cars!

I agree and competition will give the MK6 the best tunes possible. Are you running WMI?

Old 08-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #32
havocsrt
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:

I saw you had a leak issue, did you ever determine what caused it? Im in the process of taking the IHI out of my car as i type, i want to learn from others as well
Old 08-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #33
timneedscoffee10
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
I saw you had a leak issue, did you ever determine what caused it? Im in the process of taking the IHI out of my car as i type, i want to learn from others as well

Oil leak was actually a missing bolt on the valve cover. No idea how it went missing, but unrelated to the turbo install. The coolant leak was a poorly crushed washer on the supply line - the one you swap while both turbos are out of the car. Make sure you get the orientation right on that one, and torque it properly! Otherwise, you're going to have to remove the turbo AGAIN

Old 08-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #34
havocsrt
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Oil leak was actually a missing bolt on the valve cover. No idea how it went missing, but unrelated to the turbo install. The coolant leak was a poorly crushed washer on the supply line - the one you swap while both turbos are out of the car. Make sure you get the orientation right on that one, and torque it properly! Otherwise, you're going to have to remove the turbo AGAIN

Ok so here is a picture of my F23t (color) and the picture of the K04 orientation (black and whit). One of my plugs is on the wrong side...do i still need to make it the same as a standard K04?

Old 08-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #35
timneedscoffee10
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Ok so here is a picture of my F23t (color) and the picture of the K04 orientation (black and whit). One of my plugs is on the wrong side...do i still need to make it the same as a standard K04?

Yes - you need to swap it. Install is exactly the same as the DIY

Old 08-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #36
timneedscoffee10
Formula 5000 Driver

I can't tell from the pic how you mounted the AP to the windshield - but I discovered the mount fits perfectly on a Garmin GPS suction cup (same size ball!). This lets it sit further from the windshield than the sticky mount, so you can orient it without hitting the windshield

Old 08-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #37
timneedscoffee10
Formula 5000 Driver

McDowell's black widow build

Quote:

Ooh - also, the plug on the F23T had a washer on it -- remove that washer when you swap the position to the lower port! Otherwise the plug will sit out too at and prevent the line from seating fully.

Took me an entire weekend to find that coolant leak.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #38
havocsrt
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
I can't tell from the pic how you mounted the AP to the windshield - but I discovered the mount fits perfectly on a Garmin GPS suction cup (same size ball!). This lets it sit further from the windshield than the sticky mount, so you can orient it without hitting the windshield

That is about how mine sits, crazy how it all worked out for you...looks good bro
Old 08-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #39
havocsrt
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:

Ok awesome, thanks bro
Old 08-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #40
timneedscoffee10
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Ok awesome, thanks bro

No sweat - feel free to msg me if you have any questions. Just did this a few weeks ago so it's all fresh . Don't miss my other reply (2 or 3 up) about that washer!

Old 09-01-2016, 12:43 AM   #41
havocsrt
Rally Car Newbie

Update.....finally got the F23t installed yesterday, topped off coolant and added new oil and filter...recirculated the oil and coolant without the coils plugged in. Then ran the car for about 20 mins to burp it a bit, was running very smooth, no leaks or weird noises. I turned the car off, went inside to update my AP for the F23t baseline map from Stratified, installed in Black Widow.
I started her up and it was misfiring really bad....i let it run a bit so the AP could collect the codes and hoping the computer would work things out......it continued to stutter and stammer bad. I turned her off, flashed it back to the previous map (cobb ots stage 2 93 oct) it continued to do much of the same.

At first i thought it was the F23t map, then i realized that it continued to have the same symptoms and codes read....

Cleared them and started the engine again and they came back and now there is an added ticking sound and the engine dies.

I'm thinking that my cam tensioner may have gone and hoping that i don't have bent valves.

Last edited by havocsrt; 09-01-2016 at 02:02 PM.
havocsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:48 AM   #42
DASVDUB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
That's the worst luck. Hope everything works out ok for you man.

2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is online now   Reply With Quote