GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 11-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
DUBlclutch
Go Kart Champion

Drives: MK5 GTI 2.0T FSI 6MT & Golf R 6MT
PSA: ECS BILLET OIL FILTER HOUSING

***PSA: STAY AWAY FROM THE ECS TUNING BILLET OIL FILTER HOUSING***

I installed it 3 oil changes ago, the 3rd being done today.

The last oil change I couldn't get the plug out with out gripping the housing without pliers. The housing would unscrew before the plug itself, which defeats the whole purpose of their 'easy' system. Also when I finally removed the plug, I found metal shavings. Fortunately none in oil itself or filter. But it didn't inspire confidence in this product.

This time around I also couldn't get the plug out without doing the above. And once again there were metal shavings. However this time it was on the top lip of the housing, around/above where the rubber seal sits. Fortunately, again, no shavings were in the oil or filter. When I tried to pull the rubber seal and it wouldn't come out fully, a section was stuck. After I was able to get it out, I inspected it; turns out it was fused to an inner portion of the channel that holds the seal. Bits of the seal are still stuck to the housing.

That was the last straw. I chucked the bish in the trash. Then I decided to pull it back out and send it back to ECS. We'll see how that goes over...

Not sure if it's QC issues, poorly matched materials, poor finishing, etc...but I'll never install that or another billet housing on either of my FSI's.

Disclaimer: Yes I torqued everything to spec and followed all instructions when first installing and during each oil change thereafter.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
DUBlclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
iGTI
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: A car with round vents
I have to agree on partially what you said... I had it on my R and it was difficult to take the plug off.

I did about 5 oil changes on my R, I can't recall finding any shavings though so I do find that odd about your comment.

I have seen comments prior on the forum that it's not odd to find some shavings on oil filters, specially during the break in period. But that doesnt sound like the case in your part.

S3 16'
STG 1+ Sold
iGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
tjasko
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 CW .:R
I have a brand new one that I tried to install, but it kept on ripping the o-ring, so now it's just sitting with all of my car parts. Other trusted people I know have told me this is pretty common.

Contacted ECS and they didn't do squat because I didn't buy it directly from them...
Old 11-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #4
TimS
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 Golf R
Mine's been on for 3 years. 0 issues.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:22 AM   #5
Bozz
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 R, 94 Explorer, 80 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBlclutch View Post
The last oil change I couldn't get the plug out with out gripping the housing without pliers. The housing would unscrew before the plug itself, which defeats the whole purpose of their 'easy' system.
^^ Same here. And Yes I torqued as per instructions.

I haven't noticed any metal shavings at least.

It doesn't seem to like most of the oil filters I buy either. The Mobil ones fit in there fine...but all others want to hit the block before making full contact, not allowing a person to torque the housing down properly. My solution? Use a Mobil1 filter.

I may ditch it and return to stock at some point. It's no less messy, since I can't remove the drain anyway.
Bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
TimS
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 Golf R
I wish someone would just make a spin-on filter for our cars. Putting a cartridge inside a housing at the bottom of the engine is one of the dumbest designs I've ever seen. Especially since there's no easy access through or around the splash guard.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
bebersol
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '13 Carbon Gray 4dr Golf R
I got to thinking about the concept of the aluminum bottom of the filter housing fitting into the composite top . Since the materials will expand and contract differently to hot and cold cycles, I decided the aluminum may actually increase the risk of the top breaking. I saw no benefit so I stopped using it. I also placed a FS classified but nobody wants it, I just think of it as a lesson learned. Anyway the replacement composite bottom housings are pretty cheap if needed.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
DUBlclutch
Go Kart Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebersol View Post
I got to thinking about the concept of the aluminum bottom of the filter housing fitting into the composite top . Since the materials will expand and contract differently to hot and cold cycles, I decided the aluminum may actually increase the risk of the top breaking. I saw no benefit so I stopped using it. I also placed a FS classified but nobody wants it, I just think of it as a lesson learned. Anyway the replacement composite bottom housings are pretty cheap if needed.
Same here, luckily I kept my stock housing. Unfortunately I think my oil drain tool needs to be replaced, but I'd rather deal with that than another billet housing ever again.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
visceralsoup
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI (sold), 2012 Golf Arrrr
I'm surprised a rep from ECS hasn't said anything on here...

Turbo Ranger Build
visceralsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #10
bebersol
Rally Car Champion

I don't think they watch the MK6 forums too closely.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:58 PM   #11
Bozz
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 R, 94 Explorer, 80 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebersol View Post

Do you think I can put my OEM composite part back into use? I mean, I had to remove the center part, and install it in the metal housing....I'm hoping that can be reversed?

I'd hate to have to buy a new OEM housing.
Bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #12
DUBlclutch
Go Kart Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz View Post
Do you think I can put my OEM composite part back into use? I mean, I had to remove the center part, and install it in the metal housing....I'm hoping that can be reversed?

That's exactly what I did. Just reverse the swap over instructions. Pop center out of crap billet housing and snap back into comp housing. I'm so glad I saved my old comp housing and cap.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #13
bebersol
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz View Post

you can, I remove the center frame each oil change when I'm cleaning the filter housing.