GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 09-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
Mensurpj
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Golf R
Rear Sway Bar Upgrade

What brand are you running and how do you like it? I see the ST Sway bar going for 180$ is it any good?
Old 09-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #2
xpystchrisx
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 Golf R
Running an H&R 26mm. It came with zero maintenance bushings and for the most part it has been absolutely quiet. Install was easy and I had it done by myself with hand tools in about an hour.
As far as driving, it was a mistake to buy it without having dampers that could handle the increased spring rate from the bar. Adding just the bar alone made the car noticeably unbalanced in the rear. Driving the car at an autocross with just the rear bar simply resulted in a disconnected handling front to back. The front felt vague and the back felt sharp. Not a good feel.
After I purchased the coil overs the bar was better controlled and the front and rear suspension responds in sync now. There is enough flex in the chassis and the coil overs have tender springs which provide 3 inches of wiggle room when I need to scale uneven driveways. I have yet to do an autocross on the suspension and am going to get aligned and corner balanced this weekend.
Overall I must say that swapping the bar out and expecting a massive change is going to be more to do with cognitive dissonance than real improvement. It was the combination of the coils, LCA bushings, deadset kit, and rsb that changed things.
- Eurodyne Maestro - EvoMS Intake - Autotech HPFP - Scorpion Catless DP -ARM FMIC - 034 MS Street Density Mounts - H&R 26mm RSB - H&R RSS Clubsports - PowerFlex Rear LCA Bushings - 034MotorSports Front Subframe Lock Kit - 235/40 Potenza S-04 -

Last edited by xpystchrisx; 09-06-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: less derp
xpystchrisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:17 PM   #3
plumpzz
Autocross Champion

Drives: Nissan 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpystchrisx View Post
Running an H&R 26mm. It came with zero maintenance bushings and for the most part it has been absolutely quiet. Install was easy and I had it done by myself with hand tools in about an hour.
As far as driving, it was a mistake to buy it without having dampers that could handle the increased spring rate from the bar. Adding just the bar alone made the car noticeably unbalanced in the rear. Driving the car at an autocross with just the rear bar simply resulted in a disconnected handling front to back. The front felt vague and the back felt sharp. Not a good feel.
After I purchased the coil overs the bar was better controlled and the front and rear suspension responds in sync now. There is enough flex in the chassis and the coil overs have tender springs which provide 3 inches of wiggle room when I need to scale uneven driveways. I have yet to do an autocross on the suspension and am going to get aligned and corner balanced this weekend.
Overall I must say that swapping the bar out and expecting a massive change is going to be more to do with cognitive dissonance than real improvement. It was the combination of the coils, LCA bushings, deadset kit, and rsb that changed things.

That's pretty much with all cars. You're way better off getting quality coils and a deadset kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
plumpzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #4
bebersol
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '13 Carbon Gray 4dr Golf R
Or a dead set kit and an x-brace.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #5
visceralsoup

Drives: 2013 VW GTI (sold), 2012 Golf Arrrr
I went with the Neuspeed 25mm adjustable with the bushing kit. This paired with my ST coilovers definitely made a difference. The car is easier to rotate now and it's much easier to predict understeer

sway bar
bushings

Turbo Ranger Build
visceralsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
Whatever bar you get, make sure the bushing are greasable without having to unbolt stuff. So much easier to deal with.

Sent from phone Tapa
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #7
visceralsoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobst View Post
Whatever bar you get, make sure the bushing are greasable without having to unbolt stuff. So much easier to deal with.

Sent from phone Tapa
Yep. The neuspeed bushings are perfect.

Turbo Ranger Build
Old 11-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
My neuspeed was before that time so i unbolt the bushings to grease them. New bushings they sell and the hnr bar i think also has those zerk bushings where you can pump the grease into the bushing. Cool stuff

Sent from phone Tapa
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #9
visceralsoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobst View Post
My neuspeed was before that time so i unbolt the bushings to grease them. New bushings they sell and the hnr bar i think also has those zerk bushings where you can pump the grease into the bushing. Cool stuff

Sent from phone Tapa
Yeah thats whats I got. The little zerk fittings make it so easy.

Turbo Ranger Build