GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sway Bars: Hollow vs Solid?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Posted this on golfmkv too, but there's probably more traffic on here.

So my stock rear sway bar is 19mm solid, would a 22mm hollow bar be an upgrade still?

I guess I'm wondering what the benefits/technical difference is between a hollow & solid bar?

MoNaH_GTI

There is a chart on one of the sway bar threads that compares the strenghts of all sizes of solid vrs. hollow. I know, I would be a much better help if I found it and posted it...

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I remember asking about hollow vs solid a year back. Trying to find the response I was given. If it's remember correctly hollow is equivalent of smaller solid. But to compare bar x to bar y you need the force/torque numbers. Then you can physically calculate how much upgrade percent it actually is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
A hollow bar will flex more than a solid bar would. It isn't as rigid so basically a 22mm hollow bar will have about the same characteristics of a 19-20mm solid bar.

Sebastian89

Ready to race!
A hollow bar will flex more than a solid bar would. It isn't as rigid so basically a 22mm hollow bar will have about the same characteristics of a 19-20mm solid bar.

Bingo... plus one thing I'm worried about is how the hollow bar is formed... you never knw if an air bubble or something got stuck.... can you imagine your sway snap mid corner while you're full throttle?
The same can be said about the solid one, but just by sheer dimensional surface the likely hood of that happening is lower

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If it's remember correctly hollow is equivalent of smaller solid.

It isn't as rigid so basically a 22mm hollow bar will have about the same characteristics of a 19-20mm solid bar.

See that's why I asked this question....wondering if it was a lateral move going from the 19mm solid to the 22mm hollow

On golfmkv, the answers I got said pretty much "bigger is better" and that hollow might be a little weaker but that it's lighter is it's benefit and the only difference between solid vs. hollow

brobst

Go Kart Champion
here you go
- stock rear sway bar Mk.V/VI GTI, dia 21,7 x 3 mm - tube:

c = 59,5 N/mm

- H&R rear sway bar, diameter. 24 mm - solid:

c = 122,7 N/mm center (~ 109 N/mm long and 139 N/mm short arm)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
snobrdrdan, what was wrong with the H&R solid RSB?

Agreed...the H&R bars are very high quality. There should be no reason to get rid of it. Just add the H&R front bar

No complaints about the H&R bar
The Teflon lining on the bushings were worn out, so the bushings started squeaking a little....which I've never had happen with any of the H&R bars I've owned before.
So I ordered new ones, and it takes a month to get them.
So I put the stock 19mm solid bar back on for the time being.

Then I decided to try out the 22mm (OEM) GTI rear sway bar after noticing it would fit and would be bigger than the OEM bar & that's what is on the car right now.

Undecided if I'll keep the H&R bar or not

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
here you go
- stock rear sway bar Mk.V/VI GTI, dia 21,7 x 3 mm - tube:

c = 59,5 N/mm

- H&R rear sway bar, diameter. 24 mm - solid:

c = 122,7 N/mm center (~ 109 N/mm long and 139 N/mm short arm)

That's good for comparing the H&R bar vs MK6 bar, but I was trying to compare the (Passat) 19mm solid bar to the (GTI) 22mm hollow bar LOL

I don't really understand the numbers you're posting either though :laugh: