GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electrical bugs

shrek655

Been having some electrical problems with my 2009 mk6 gti. First the reverse lights stopped working with warnings on dash. Checked the bulbs which were fine but I replaced them anyway. One now works but the headlight on the right hand side has stopped working. Again the bulb looks fine. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of problem? Any thoughts on a cure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Been having some electrical problems with my 2009 mk6 gti. First the reverse lights stopped working with warnings on dash. Checked the bulbs which were fine but I replaced them anyway. One now works but the headlight on the right hand side has stopped working. Again the bulb looks fine. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of problem? Any thoughts on a cure?
Our MK6 Golf is going good with respect to bulbs but having owned several vintage Porsches, I'd follow the same regiment, start replacing all the bulbs they don't last forever, especially the ones that are used most.

You can clean up the contacts with electronic contact cleaner to remove oxidation and then use a bit of dielectric grease on the contacts, it helps with corrosion on the contacts as the cars age.

There are always few ground points on the car that must be addressed/cleaned and dielectric greased. This one will generally help every system in the car. The VW Service Manual will have a list of the ground points on the body of the car, if I had one I would post it.
BTW disconnect the battery as a precaution, if you tackle the ground points near the engine electrics. ie the starter

Last edited: