GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any MK6 GTI issues?

sleepergti86

APRTuned
I have them on my digital camera, I need to upload them. Should have some today!

dthomas53

Passed Driver's Ed
Well fellas, I picked my baby up last night, and put a good 115 miles on it already. :)

Two things I've noticed:

• As mentioned earlier, I can definitely hear a mild grinding noise when coming out of first, at low RPMs
  • The driver's side door sounds as though it's slightly open (i.e. sounds as if there is air coming in)

Other than that, this vehicle is everything I dreamed it would be. :thumbup:

geokotzamanis

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the manual and it makes the grinding noise. The car drives amazing and I have no problem shifting but I still get that noise out of first. When driving fast I can hear some air from the drivers door like it is missing some weather stripping or something. I don't know if I should call the dealer.

mongo1

Ready to race!
Not an issue exclusive to a specific car, but I do have a small squeak in the passenger door when I go over bumps. I'm assuming I can get someone to make it go away with a little silicon.

dthomas53

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the manual and it makes the grinding noise. The car drives amazing and I have no problem shifting but I still get that noise out of first. When driving fast I can hear some air from the drivers door like it is missing some weather stripping or something. I don't know if I should call the dealer.

Yep, same thing here. I have a manual, and I only hear the noise in 1st gear. The sound coming from the door is a little distressing, as it really sounds as though the door isn't closed, even though it is. Like you said, I really hear most when doing 45mph or higher.

itzalexbish

Ready to race!
200 miles, rear washer drips, and weird grinding sound on a banked entrance ramp from the drivers side front... sounds like the wheel was grinding on the wheel well.

ive beenn gettin the same noise...somewhat like a baseball card on a bike...did u find out what it is?!

itzalexbish

Ready to race!
also my rear whiper drips also..and its annoying after washing the car...

Luis G

Passed Driver's Ed
I also have the rear washer dripping..

The day after I picked up from the Dealer, which was last Thurs. Friday the car had this.

1 Fault Found:
000257 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Implausible Signal
P0101 - 000 - - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 153 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2001.14.13
Time: 19:34:21

Now the car is in the shop awaiting a new sensor....

peteydog

Wow.. GTI definitely has some initial quality issues!

I would be very annoyed by the rear washer leakage, but VW should be able to address that easily, esp. the problem appears to be wide-spread.

Now all other intermittent noises to me are the issues that VW can explain away and leave the owners with love-hate relationships with their GTI... I am in the market for a new GTI and am doing research before buying it... Well, I am glad I am doing my research! I am a bit discouraged at this time and will wait a bit before getting the car, if I am to buy a GTI...

I have owned a Passat and had a great experience with the car but disliked the experience with the VW service... I am hoping GTI would be a more reliable car so that I don't have to see VW service department more than just for the regular routine maintenance...

Thanks guys for all your input! It's very valuable to potential buyers, and I am sure VW will have to pay attention to the owners if we all put pressure for better cars from them! Definitely don't let VW get away with explaining issues away! We should expect more from them so that they will keep on improving their quality.

waffleman

Ready to race!
no noise here

Yep, same thing here. I have a manual, and I only hear the noise in 1st gear. The sound coming from the door is a little distressing, as it really sounds as though the door isn't closed, even though it is. Like you said, I really hear most when doing 45mph or higher.

How loud is this grinding noise? I've got a 2010 GTI with MT, nearly 700 miles on it. I listened carefully last night and again this AM and cannot hear any grinding noise in 1st or any other gear with windows closed, radio off. I cannot feel anything abnormal either. Isthis noise specific to a specific build date? (I'm not sure how you tell build date in VW).

I haven't had any rattling/noise from doors, or wind noise from sunroof either.

Nicks06TR

Ready to race!
ive beenn gettin the same noise...somewhat like a baseball card on a bike...did u find out what it is?!

It only did it when going really hard around a corner, I have tried cornering like that again, but the noise didn't return. Someone said that it's something to do with the way the car is put together, and it stops after a few days/weeks. I am hoping so, since mine stopped doing that. It could also be a wheel bearing that is no bueno... see below.

Also, I am wondering, does anyone elses car sound like a wheel bearing is shot when driving at about 60 in 6th with DSG? the noise comes from the front wheels, so I don't think it's the typical drone from exhaust and stuff.

mongo1

Ready to race!
Wow.. GTI definitely has some initial quality issues!

I would be very annoyed by the rear washer leakage, but VW should be able to address that easily, esp. the problem appears to be wide-spread.

Now all other intermittent noises to me are the issues that VW can explain away and leave the owners with love-hate relationships with their GTI... I am in the market for a new GTI and am doing research before buying it... Well, I am glad I am doing my research! I am a bit discouraged at this time and will wait a bit before getting the car, if I am to buy a GTI...

I have owned a Passat and had a great experience with the car but disliked the experience with the VW service... I am hoping GTI would be a more reliable car so that I don't have to see VW service department more than just for the regular routine maintenance...

Thanks guys for all your input! It's very valuable to potential buyers, and I am sure VW will have to pay attention to the owners if we all put pressure for better cars from them! Definitely don't let VW get away with explaining issues away! We should expect more from them so that they will keep on improving their quality.

You and I have different ideas about initial quality issues. With the thousands of parts on a car, I consider it pretty awesome that the major issue with the car is a leaky nozzle on the back windshield. You should go over to northamericanmotoring.com (a MINI site) and check out their "stock problems/issues" subforum. The "cold start issue" (it's stickied) for the R55, R56, and R57 models is what I would call a real issue.

koolgreen

Ready to race!
Isthis noise specific to a specific build date? (I'm not sure how you tell build date in VW).

I haven't had any rattling/noise from doors, or wind noise from sunroof either.

The build date and country of manufacture is usually on the drivers door jam near the latch.
With serial etc.........
________
Wendie 99

Last edited:

peteydog

You and I have different ideas about initial quality issues. With the thousands of parts on a car, I consider it pretty awesome that the major issue with the car is a leaky nozzle on the back windshield. You should go over to northamericanmotoring.com (a MINI site) and check out their "stock problems/issues" subforum. The "cold start issue" (it's stickied) for the R55, R56, and R57 models is what I would call a real issue.

yikes! I hope that GTI owners won't find any issue like that down the road! What a nightmare it would be for me!

My concern isn't really with the leaky nozzle problem. I know that can be addressed easily. It's more about those intermittent noises from somewhere in GTI (transmission, suspension, doors, radio, etc...) that many people have experienced in their first 1 - 2 months of ownership... Probably being paranoid, I can't help but wonder if the root cause of the noise is truly what the VW service says or it's a prelude to something more serious... Furthermore, regardless of the severity of the issues, it requires time to take the car in and leave with the service, which means loss of use of your car for a day or more. I don't think most people who buy $30K car would expect to return to the dealership within 1 month for any unscheduled service!

I am not going to compare VW to other car companies because there are always better and worse. My point is if we as owners can put pressure on VW to build better quality cars, it's a win-win situation for both VW and us! I think we shouldn't expect anything less than excellence from a car company like VW that is capable to build awesome cars.