GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 06-05-2018, 03:17 AM   #421
Phur
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Hells yeah! I definitely agree with the off the car wheel detail.

Hopefully I will get another job soon and actually have days off again. I barely have time to wash the bugs off and keep the oil changed these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #422
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Thanks, it's needed man haha.

I can scrub 99% of the wheel every wash - i use a detail brush for the outerface, nooks and crannies, then manage to get a wash mitt into the wheel barrel and work it around the inner face of the barrel and behind the spokes, and most of the caliper. But taking them off is necessary to do the wheel wells fully, and then why not ckaybar and apply some sealant to the wheels why they are off?

The amount of dust, tar, and grime under the car is amazing. I wish i had more access to a lift then i could have really done some work under there. Sliding around under the car is not fun or easy for crap like this
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #423
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
I wish i had more access to a lift then i could have really done some work under there. Sliding around under the car is not fun or easy for crap like this
Too bad you don't know anyone with a lift................

jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #424
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Yeah but you guys are booked man haha. I don't wanna wasteblift time so I can scrub my undercarriage with a toothbrush lol
Old 06-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #425
BoostedVW11
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 2000 Saturn SC1
Im sort of shocked living in midwest that there isnt more undercarriage services/shops.....

what car wash soap do you use? im using rainx spot free.....and it still spots. ALOT. do not recommend
Old 06-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #426
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

I use a mix.

Ammo nyc 'boost' which helps loosen up road salt before touching
Mixed with Chemical guys snowfoam for the prerinse/foam
Then in the bucket chemical guys glossworkz sometimes mixed with their citrus wash.

Honestly I've tried a lot of different soaps. Most actual car shampoos do the job well. it all comes down to proper sudsing and lubrication. Too much of either will decrease the efficacy of the wash itself - too much foam and it's not actually cleaning the paint. Too much lubrication and your mitt isn't pulling anything off the paint and makes it harder to rinse. I try to find ones that do both well and having some carnauba in them helps for whatever it's worth even though it all needs to rinse off anyway. Having the bucket stay sudsy through the whole wash is important, as well as the soap not drying or unsudsing (allowing dirt to resettle) before you've rinsed the car

No such thing as a spotfree dry without the following:
If your car is coated and you can blow all the water off, do so.
Use a damp microfiber with a detail spray (I use ammo hydrate) for maximum lubrication to mop up any remaining water.
Proper rinsing techniques also help dry it. If your car is coated or at least sealed nicely, most water will sheet off if you use the water sheeting rinse technique (YouTube it)

Spot free drying does not work due to deposits in our water.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:37 PM   #427
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Traded for an integrated engineering intake. Hope it sounds fun can't wait to drive it tomorrow!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #428
Brunkel
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2013 UGM GTI; 6-speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
Tried out a leather wheel wrap. Like this setup better. Love how alacantara looks but didn't like the look of fake alacantara or the feel. The stripe was too much as well

Hey man! Love the interior. Saw it on the burn all the mk6 facebook group. I'm curious where you got the Custom GTI floor mats as well as what you did on the carbon fiber strips on the door panels that now have the red line in it. Thanks and great build!
Old 06-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #429
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

I appreciate it sir/ma'am!

The floor mats are called 'mojo mats'. They are made by me and getting really hard to find. Google it and see if anyone still sells them.

The carbon door trim and such is from car-id, made by remin. I got it unused secondhand from someone who got a full interior kit and luckily wasn't going to use the pieces. The door trim pieces are a fat top piece and skinny bottom piece for some reason, which worked out for me wanting to use laser wire to emulate the mk7 door ambient lighting. That didn't go so hot unfortunately so I'm probably going to pull it, as it just doesn't look good. The laser wire is more orange than red and no matter what I did it just isn't in 100% straight and therefore doesn't look oem or clean enough.

Depending what pictures you may have seen, I also just wrapped them in a '5D' carbon wrap before which looked great to me, with red pinstriping along the bottom. Quick, cheap, and easy.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #430
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Well guys, as of now the car is pretty well buttoned up and in working order. I think, in attempts to save some more money for a wedding and house and who knows what else, I am going to be trying my best to stop modding for a while.

Still have an eanon radio to install but I'm kind of considering against it as I could use the money.

Also have Theretrofitsource foglights coming in the next few weeks that I can't wait for.

Otherwise, I'm kind of putting off the new control arms and suspension stuff for a few months as she is riding pretty well right now.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #431
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Got a wide angle lens add-on for my google pixel 2. Testing..

Old 07-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #432
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Also got an anodized oil cap cover from eGay. Fits well and for the price and being almost the only option mis a 120 dollar r8 cap replacement, this does the trick haha. Rice away!

Old 07-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #433
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

welp, got some new shit coming lol

passat b6 front control arms
superpro front control arm bushings
034 motorsport upper strut mounts

neuspeed FMIC, and intercooler delete kit, and mishimoto constant tension clamps
Old 07-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #434
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Just got my theretrofitsource fog lights!

Very impressed with the quality of the light itself. Install was eastly as swapping the old fog light assemblies out and replacing. They didn't come with resistors but I couldn't figure out the wiring as it was very unless what needs to go where and how it could all work and be plug and play without splicing wires together. But with testing I saw no flicker... So see what happens I guess?

I put on the supplied yellow lamin-x film as well.

Will provide night shots tonight

Tags
#saveboostedvw11, #ujellystancefags, boosted beat a 224hp wrx, i dont know how to sew, this guy has skills