GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Vs." Rant....

jstrau8

Ready to race!
It does have a boy racer look.

I'll take a lot of shit for this, but it seems to me a lot of the older owners talk up the "refinement" of the GTI a lot more than it should be, to make them feel that it is a more luxurious car than what it is...a $23,000 hatchback.

1. Hardly a racer boy look when compared to other cars in the class. The wrx is the ultimate boy racer styling, and the lancer ralliart (do they even make this POS anymore), speed 3, and civic si (with its v-tec stickers) are all up there too. Compared to a Nissan Verso, ya its a bit boy racer, but for a hot hatch i think its definitely the most grown up looking.

2. You pretty much counter your own criticism, sure its not as refined as a "c63" or "s4", but how much more expensive are these cars? Find another car with the same refinement at this price and ill be surprised. Keep in mind im 20 and always brag about the refinement to my sister, who has a 2010 X3, which other than the seats, really lacks in refinement with all of its hard plastics and weird ass quirks

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
I somewhat agree with this statement and somewhat get that feel. You see a lot of guys going on and on about how it's a "refined German vehicle", and how amazing the quality is and how it's a sophisticated car, but really...?

Yes, the quality is nice, but it's no C63 AMG, no S4, no M3.

It does have a boy racer look.

I'll take a lot of shit for this, but it seems to me a lot of the older owners talk up the "refinement" of the GTI a lot more than it should be, to make them feel that it is a more luxurious car than what it is...a $23,000 hatchback.

I bought the GTI because for the money it is more refined. It's a fact. I work with Audi daily and the Engineers in Germany are quite shocked at how cheap we get the Golf/GTI and Audi cars compared to what they pay. Just today I was talking with one about how "loaded" the car was base and he said he wants to buy a Golf R here before he returns to Germany and ship it home.

Also, I was just looking for a commuter and drove the 2012 Civic SI coupe with the 200hp VTEC and it's a complete POS as far as build quality goes, compared to the GTI and much more "boy racer". Also, the MS3 is quite a bit more Boy Racer and was knocked off my short list specifically for that reason. The GTI interior is mostly "soft touch" materials while the others are plastics that rival my old 1988 Mustang GT's interior. :laugh:

IMO, just about the only thing that really makes the GTI boy racer are the guys stretching the tires to show 3 inches of rim that stick out of the fenders....

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
Euro stickers > Ricer stickers.

Fact.

:D

jackgti1

Go Kart Champion
We basically have little entry-level racing cars..therefore we race...and its fun :) You have to start somewhere, and it isn't going to be on a Porsche, Ferrari, or anything like that. Those kinds of cars race professionally, and rarely on the streets, because the drivers are usually old people or smart enough not to :laugh: So they don't go on internet forums and post about their races. Just turn on the TV. sup

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
Countless reviews from magazines and car shows applaud its refinement, and sporty feel. These are professionals....( even Jeremy Clarkson loves the car). That being said once you buy the car its YOURS do with it what you want. You want to race it...your choice. Want to cover it in stickers? Go ahead ( even if it looks stupid...lol). The VS thread is kind of interesting, I don't personally race the GTI but its nice to know that this little hatch back smokes some decent cars.

Luvndubn6

Banned
Countless reviews from magazines and car shows applaud its refinement, and sporty feel. These are professionals....( even Jeremy Clarkson loves the car). That being said once you buy the car its YOURS do with it what you want. You want to race it...your choice. Want to cover it in stickers? Go ahead ( even if it looks stupid...lol). The VS thread is kind of interesting, I don't personally race the GTI but its nice to know that this little hatch back smokes some decent cars.

Jeremy clarkson loves the MKI. Big difference IMO

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I like to read these vs. threads for reference, just in case one of the cars that can be beat at stage 2 tries to mess with me... It also helps to know which ones CAN'T be beaten.

The best are the absurd ones, though.

MKVI GTI vs. cop car, veyron, etc...

BrandNew1

Ready to race!
My point was kind of missed...

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
Jeremy clarkson loves the MKI. Big difference IMO

Clarkson tested the MK5 and said he loved it. Even if you go to the Top Gear web site and check their reviews they love the car. You can see the MK5 test drive on youtube.

NilesR

Passed Driver's Ed
Ill race your mothers mini van

Gray Bishop

personally speaking I love forums like this because living in NYC the streets are often too banged up and the traffic is often too congested to really open the car up, so living vicariously through a few of you folks with open roads is cool.....