GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Member, Picked it Up Two Days Ago, CSM GTI

Adam1

I ordered it just over four months ago and its finally here. My previous car was a '92 tornado red GTI. Jumping 18 years from that to this is quite surreal. Worked hard for this puppy.

Tech pack
18" Alloys
DSG

First day: After work, the car wouldn't start. I fooled around with some stuff and then it just started. The next morning it did the same thing. The lights and dashboard and radio all lit up but the car would not start. VW said the steering wheel sometimes does not come out of lock if the wheels are cocked at a weird angle or whatever.....so...just wiggle the steering wheel and all should be good. So far it hasn't happened again even after I tried to recreate the issue.....anyone else ever go through this? Other than that....I love it.

Attachments

• Gti 039.jpg
    Gti 039.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 283
  • Gti 040.jpg
    Gti 040.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 233
  • Gti 041.jpg
    Gti 041.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 305
  • Gti 042 edit.jpg
    Gti 042 edit.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 228
  • Gti 043 edit.jpg
    Gti 043 edit.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Gti 044 edit.jpg
    Gti 044 edit.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Ratio

Yay! Calgary love! How's the GTI treating you in the snow?

Congrats on the ride though, Carbon Steel looks great in the snow. My CW kinda just camouflages in the snow haha.

Btw, I've had your problem before. VW dealers told me the same thing (jiggle the steering wheel around and it will automatically fix it).
Never really had that problem anymore (it's been around a month and a half?)

Adam1

Good to know!...thanks! We had a chinook here the day I picked it up. Everything was melting and the roads were wet and slushy...shitty time to get a brand new shiny car. So far though, it handles the less travelled, heavy snow and ice built up roads, just fine.

Post pics of your CW?

Last edited:

zee

Go Kart Champion
Welcome fellow Canuck. I have the habit of always parking with the wheels straight, so the steering wheel never locks. Basically, I have not yet experienced the key-turn no-start steering-wiggle issue.

koolgreen

Ready to race!
That is one of the oldest problems around.
I have had to help a few people in parking lots.
All brands too. Not just vw's etc.
Never leave tension on the steering wheel as when the rotation lock comes on, there are interlock issues.
So just take the torque off the lock pin and everything usually releases.

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
Congrats!

Dont turn your wheel after the key is out of the ignition.

Problem Solved!

Adam1

My previous cars would not even let me try to start the engine if the steering was still in lock, so I knew right away what I needed to do. I guess thats what threw me off.:bonk: