GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI stalling

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Wow, 4-5 months, ouch,
I agree with you there, "question is what"

This is an odd issue, Have you been able to replicate it to VW? Curious how they handled it.
Also did you see a pickup in the issue after your tune?

Nope! It actually hasn't done it at all for at least a week! So it comes and goes.

Nope, did it before the tune and after.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
This is the same reason having a catch can is necessary on motors with direct injection

That has got nothing to do with this problem.

DCVW

So I just experienced the same stalling problem on my 2011 GTI, happened twice in four days, and both times it was the same way. I had driven it for about 5 min. with AC on, then stopped for maybe 5 min. and when i got back into the car i turned it on, turned ac on, and when i put it into reverse it shut off. But there were no warning indicators, then it strarted up fine the second time, but i had to turn ac off. Not sure if it is linked to ac or not. Also it has been same tank of gas, although i put 93 so that should not be the cause. Taking it in today, so lets hope there is an answer and a resolution.

rmiller85

'11 DSG GTI here, I've had this problem on at least 7 different occasions (at 2500 miles now). Dealer couldn't replicate issue, and said there was nothing they could do.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Quick update: Haven't had this problem in 600+ miles (originally happened 3x in the first 1000 miles). I can't say I'm doing anything differently and the car is still stock. Knock on wood?

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Hmm I haven't had the issue either. It stopped for me and it was at least doing it once a day. The only thing different I can think of is I am using Chevron gas now instead of Shell just to try.

VINNY1

Ready to race!
Bad gas! I was just up to Wisconsin. I stoped at a no name station and put in a quarter tank of 92(?), Thankfully I didn't put in more. It was fine till I went to start it, I had to crank it for five seconds, and when it caught it ran like shit for a while. I quckly went to a brand name station and topped it off with 93. it ran fine after that. Thats the first time I ever saw 92, in Chicago we get 87, 89, and 93. Is it common in other parts of the country?

DCVW

Has anyone had their 2011 GTI not start up at all after stalling, or does it generally start up on the second try? Just curious since mine recently started this stalling issue and I am worried about it leaving me stranded.
Thanks

Kyle Butler

Ready to race!
I had the same problem this morning. I was out of town with the car (1000km weekend, my total km is 1087 lol) and didnt notice any problems. I fueled up with 91 octane in Ottawa (petro can) and drove home, no start problems at all.

This morning i started, and as said above, the start sounded "weak" the rpms were low, the oil temp as well, as it usually goes right up to 90. Putting it in reverse did nothing. Went park, then reverse again and no probs. After filling at Shell, same deal so when i had to do some driving for work i made sure that i held the key during the initial start (not just forward until i hear the starter kick in) and it worked fine. I probably held the key up there for a second or two.

Either way, its concerning, but i can get around it. If it keeps up after i get the shit petro canada gas out of my engine i'll call my dealer.

ikerumba

I think everyone who has this problem should at least report it to their local dealer if not done so already. Just shoot them an email and see if they are aware of this problem and see what their reply is.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
I think everyone who has this problem should at least report it to their local dealer if not done so already. Just shoot them an email and see if they are aware of this problem and see what their reply is.

I have but when you can't duplicate the problem when you need it to, they can't fix it.

GTIJosh

Passed Driver's Ed
I have also experienced this problem twice, however both times it has been parked on a hill in extreme heat.