GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Vs." Rant....

Luvndubn6

Banned
Im wearing every flamesuit i could find for this one BUT... im going to rant anyway...

I find it, well, odd that the GTI has such a massive Vs section, in comaprison to say a porsche, bmw, gt-r, or other car manufacturer thats better known for "fast" cars. Now, dont get me wrong, im not saying the GTI is a slouch - its not. But im not sure as to why GTI owners on this and other forums have such a race-everybody-they-can mentality, especially on the streets. Why? Are we suddenly hondas? Everyone laughs at hondas having no power, unless its modified. Isnt that the same conundrum as our GTI's? That IS the reason that we get octane remaps, downpipes, etc, correct? To make it faster? Amd yes, i get the mod bug, and i get the tuning attraction, but IMO if any car really does have excellent go-fast powers, their limits certainly will never be reached on the street. How often have you ever had to blast your heater to keep the engine cooler? Its necessary during lap 3 on a proper track. IMO the best mod for a car is driving school, not a downpipe or map pack for the ECU. Im just puzzled, and would like thoughts/comments/concerns.

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
I honestly think the reason why this forum has such a "massive" vs sections is because of 3 main people. Myself, chipped GTI and DBGTI11. If you look at most of the "vs" threads with videos they are usually from one of us forum members. I understand our cars aren't the fastest, but it's one of the "funnest" I know not a word but you get the point. Chipped, DBGTI, and I are all "young" guys and it's one of our hobbies. If I could have any car right now I'd love to have an e92 ESS supercharged m3 :) but I can't afford one. Instead I bought my "affordable" dream car. My GTI :). It's more of a wow I'm driving a GTI but I can keep up with "these or those" kind of cars, and I do it for fun not soo much because I think I can beat everyone. Lol I know my GTI isn't "fast" I know street racing is very dangerous and illegal for that matter, but when I do race, I make sure it's with open roads. I know that's still not a reasonable excuse to do it but, I know nobody is perfect and 100% follows the rules. However I do go to the drag strips or tracks when I have the time and money, but as for the vs section, if you were to take away DBGTI11, Chippedgti, and Cdubbgti91 the vs section would be a lot less "smaller". It used to be "I had a dream" kind of section until we started providing videos lol.

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
... I understand our cars aren't the fastest, but it's one of the "funnest"...

Isn't it "most fun?"

lulz

There is nothing wrong with the vs thread. If anything, it shows the passion everyone has for their GTI. That said, don't expect to win against most sporty cars out there (Mustang, MS3, Evo, etc...) unless the driver is not so much "racecar." :laugh:

The only time I can see a successful kill every time would be vs. a Civic Si

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
The only time I can see a successful kill every time would be vs. a Civic Si

I wouldn't go that far... We all like to pick on Hondas, but there are a helluva lot more 10-11 second Civics out there than there are GTIs...

:thumbsup:

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
this is simple, look at the age of the drivers.

This is completely true. One of my other forums got rid of their VS section and banned posting/discussing illegal racing because all it did was attract children to a pissing contest. They eliminated that section and added a racing forum that was for only for legal stuff, 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, auto X, road course, asphalt circle track, ect ect ect and it pretty quickly put all the tools back in the shed and the maturity/usefullness of the entire forum in gerneral improved because if it.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
I raced a F-22 fighter jet yesterday, and put like 3 cars on it.

;)

bmxr

Ready to race!
This is completely true. One of my other forums got rid of their VS section and banned posting/discussing illegal racing because all it did was attract children to a pissing contest. They eliminated that section and added a racing forum that was for only for legal stuff, 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, auto X, road course, asphalt circle track, ect ect ect and it pretty quickly put all the tools back in the shed and the maturity/usefullness of the entire forum in gerneral improved because if it.

Exactly......

DBGTI11

Ready to race!
And yes majority of GTI drivers are younger and what can i say we like to race and have fun!!

thats what GTI's are

GTI's have always been the fast little hatches you'd see on th street and always want

SAthirtythree

Ready to race!
Because although most GTI owners like to make fun of "Ricers" because they think owning a VW makes them all German and classy and better than everyone, they are at heart just "Boy Racers"

Some people forget that "Honda, does not a ricer make"
Doing Ricer stuff makes you a Ricer.

SAthirtythree

Ready to race!

Thats what we do on the forum i run. you want to prove how fast you are? post your autoX times.

BrandNew1

Ready to race!
Because although most GTI owners like to make fun of "Ricers" because they think owning a VW makes them all German and classy and better than everyone, they are at heart just "Boy Racers"

Some people forget that "Honda, does not a ricer make"
Doing Ricer stuff makes you a Ricer.

I somewhat agree with this statement and somewhat get that feel. You see a lot of guys going on and on about how it's a "refined German vehicle", and how amazing the quality is and how it's a sophisticated car, but really...?

Yes, the quality is nice, but it's no C63 AMG, no S4, no M3.

It does have a boy racer look.

I'll take a lot of shit for this, but it seems to me a lot of the older owners talk up the "refinement" of the GTI a lot more than it should be, to make them feel that it is a more luxurious car than what it is...a $23,000 hatchback.