GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reading APR Stage 2 Timing Levels for Spark Plug Choices (VagCom)

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I'd just like to add that as the miles have piled on my car (96k now), it seems to want no more than 0.028" for most consistent performance even at Stage 1 boost levels, and I'm needing to at least re-gap every 10k miles. I'd even be curious to run slightly smaller gap than that. Maybe 20k or earlier replacement cycle would also do the trick.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I'd just like to add that as the miles have piled on my car (96k now), it seems to want no more than 0.028" for most consistent performance even at Stage 1 boost levels, and I'm needing to at least re-gap every 10k miles. I'd even be curious to run slightly smaller gap than that. Maybe 20k or earlier replacement cycle would also do the trick.

How do you know when you need to re-gap?

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
How do you know when you need to re-gap?

Car feels more sluggish, in general, more laggy. Peak torque is still there, but harder to get to, and doesn't always feel like it shows up completely. Biggest difference is loads more lag under say 2600 RPM. Every time I've either replaced the spark plugs or re-gapped, the car always feels TONS more responsive down low.

There seems to be an ignition timing step change around 2600 RPM, and the net effect of too much spark gap is slightly delayed ignition, or a misfire in the extreme case. Since the timing margin is pretty slim under 2600 RPM, that's where I feel the sluggishness the most.

That's my theory at least.

Edit: forgot to mention, running the NGK BKR7EIX (2667) plugs. When I first installed them (happened to be soon after a carbon cleaning too), and when I re-gapped them to 0.028", that's the strongest and most responsive my car has ever felt. More objectively, I also keep track of catalyst temps (as a proxy for EGTs), and I've noticed that the cat temps rise over time, most likely also due to the delayed ignition. Cat temps drop again after new plugs or re-gapping.

Next time it's above 40 degrees out and I can bear it, I'll gap the plugs again.

Last edited:

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
Bump on an awesome thread!

Im APR stage 2 and when I called today, APR suggested using PFR7S8EG gaped at 0.028.
my tuner recs PFR7B and I believe those come gaped at 0.028. Not sure which Ill go with but Im assuming both would work well.

Ill post my results after install.

Hoosier Daddy1

Ready to race!
Revival:

I'm getting a custom tune on my K04, currently at 340 whp around 520 Nm. Running NGK's BKR7EIX at 0.65 mm. Will be installing BKR8EIX's which have been proven to run better at higher ignition temperatures. I'll gap them at 0.7mm initially then re-gap should I find any disturbance with the system.

I'll log everything whilst on these 7's and then log the 8's. I'm using the 75-100hp rule where you must move one heat range higher with every 75-100 hp increase. Also chose Iridiums as they don't foul as fast as platinum with water methanol mixtures.

RaySkodaTSI

Ready to race!
Pulling this up again. I switched from BKR7EIX to BKR8EIX on my K04 1.8TSI (not tfsi) running the APR 3Bar file. The reason I switched as I was seeing high end misfires with the 7EIX due to high IATs due to the stock intercooler. Low end was fine. The 8EIX (Gapped to .28in) solved the issue completely and the car was smooth. (IATs were another issue)

Recently switched out to a IE FDS FMIC and IATs dropped significantly. However due to the colder plugs, misfires are back.. and with a vengeance in the lowend, any sudden throttle input in 3rd-6th gear around 2k rpm (after warming the car up) results in misfires. Top end is very strong.. but the low is very choppy. If i really feather the throttle the car is ok, but anything above 20% throttle input and I get misfires.
http://imgur.com/AXemxZy

Planning to go back to the 7EIX plugs to see how they respond.

Last edited:

Spyder368

Ready to race!
/necro Curious if APR has changed the recommended plugs with the tune update.

Edit, APR customer service still stating stock plugs gapped to .028

Last edited: