GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED Headlights

SiaubiakaZ

Hi Chaps,

Hope all is well.

Just a quick question, I have bought Philips LED's and tried to change them, however the fitting is different. Is there any way to go around this to have LED's fitted with some kind of adaptor? If so, may you please share a link?

If not feasible, what is my other option? Xenons? By the way please give your thoughts on LED's vs Xenons.

Best wishes

SiaubiakaZ

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

CHerna

Ready to race!
if you really want to put led/hids in to a relfector(halogen housing) spend the money on deautokeys hid kit built specifically for reflector housings... it has a shield so you arent a total dick blinding everyone.
http://deautokey.com/product/mk6-gt...kit-full-set-including-adapters-and-resistors

i dont wanna be a D-Bag so i am just gonna buy new headlights with projector lens to get the HIDs.

Same.

144 for 2 bulbs tf

DeAutokey's stuff is good quality. Also backed by a life time warranty, and excellent customer service.

SiaubiakaZ

Thanks, I will take a look at the website. I have tried fitting them in directly, but as it's original bulbs inside the fitting, it will not work with this exact type of LED's.

I have paid £155 for Philips LED's to be exact these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-12...qid=1515685203&sr=8-2&keywords=philips+h7+led

I have also bought these adaptors which I hope will work - https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1823126890...9045888&device=c&campaignid=1029031424&crdt=0

Do you suggest I buy the LED's from DeAutoKeys? Do they deliver to UK?

Many thanks

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
holy shit 180 euros for some leds? you could have bought like hundreds of other LEDS on amazon that also technically wouldnt work for you for like $20.

I would refund those if you can... thats a lot of money for something you cant easily use.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The new UK MOT test will fail any aftermarket HID or LED in a reflector housing as it is now part of the test to check for them, send them back for a refund!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desertnate

Passed Driver's Ed
The new UK MOT test will fail any aftermarket HID or LED in a reflector housing as it is now part of the test to check for them, send them back for a refund!

I really wish that was done here in the US. I'm tired of being blinded by after market headlight hack-jobs.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
X2 but I gotta ask those who recommend the deautokey hid or led kit... Does that work with projector lights (not oem)? Curious if the cutoff interferes with the projector cutoff... Lol

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
X2 but I gotta ask those who recommend the deautokey hid or led kit... Does that work with projector lights (not oem)? Curious if the cutoff interferes with the projector cutoff... Lol
i wouldnt buy them if you have projectors. Since they already have a "built in" shield/cutoff it may make it less for an actual projector. but that is just speculation

SiaubiakaZ

Wow, I have actually managed to install them with some modifying and they are amazing. I did not think about MOT test!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Wow, I have actually managed to install them with some modifying and they are amazing. I did not think about MOT test!

Depending on who tests it and wether it’s done properly you may get it to pass, in the uk LED’s much like HID should also have washers and self levelling fitted but it’s impractical to test the levelling, remember just because the beam looks great to you in the driving seat doesn’t mean the oncoming traffic share your joy as they’re possibly being blinded by light scatter, however if the bulbs light source (in this case the led diodes) are in the exact position the halogen bulbs Filament was then they may be okay but having to use adapters on the mk6 makes this very difficult to achieve,

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/the-mot-headlamp-aim-test-is-changing/