GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW mechanic GTA

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
All Good!
Canadian Tire has tools on sale, as well as Princess Auto, get you self a set of Torx and Hex bits and you're all set.
What are the hex bits for. I'm pretty sure I have the torx screwdriver bits. I could possibly have the hex too.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
What are the hex bits for. I'm pretty sure I have the torx screwdriver bits. I could possibly have the hex too.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Hex or Allen head bits are used for the 9 intake manifold bolts, if you choose to clean the intake manifold.

Follow the Videos and your problem should be solved.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
6I had a funny conversation with the service advisor at VW today. I went to get my oil changed...before any comments I don't do fluids usually. Well just did the clutch bleeding myself but thats different. Not worth saving 30 bucks to deal with the hastle and mess. Anyway asked what it would cost to do the tranny fluid. First dealer. Oh it's a sealed unit and there is no way to service it. Ok. Next. Called another dealer. This one told me the transmission doesn't have fluid except for the clutch fluid in it. Uhh what? I said the clutch shares the brake fluid and I just changed it. He got pissy and in a condescending you're an idiot tone said "No the brake fluid is for brakes and the clutch fluid is for the clutch and that is the only fluid in the transmission." I said have a nice day.

Edit: I know not a very helpful post but it goes back to the OPs initial dealer experience. Long story short. Beware the service advisor as their main job is the upsell. And most I have come across know very little about the cars they service....well at least here in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I had a funny conversation with the service advisor at VW today. I went to get my oil changed...before any comments I don't do fluids usually. Well just did the clutch bleeding myself but thats different. Not worth saving 30 bucks to deal with the hastle and mess. Anyway asked what it would cost to do the tranny fluid. First dealer. Oh it's a sealed unit and there is no way to service it. Ok. Next. Called another dealer. This one told me the transmission doesn't have fluid except for the clutch fluid in it. Uhh what? I said the clutch shares the brake fluid and I just changed it. He got pissy and in a condescending your an idiot tone said "No the brake fluid is for brakes and the clutch fluid is for the clutch and that is the only fluid in the transmission." I said have a nice day. I will be nice and not give you his name and what dealer but my word Capistrano VW in San Juan Capistrano at least give your employees a book or something. Here's a good website https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car.htm. I know service advisors are just salesmen but come on you work in the service department of a car dealer.
They need product education or maybe they hate the smell of the stuff, my garage smells for days after Tranny Fluid change. Its easy to drain it but when you have to put it back in that's a bit harder to do without spilling. I measure the amount that I drain to ensure i put back same amount or more in the tranny. Since the Fill hole is on the front side, before I fill I raise the front of the car higher by about 4 to 5 inches, so I can pour more Tranny Fluid into the tranny before it spills out. I always get more in that way.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
They need product education or maybe they hate the smell of the stuff, my garage smells for days after Tranny Fluid change. Its easy to drain it but when you have to put it back in that's a bit harder to do without spilling. I measure the amount that I drain to ensure i put back same amount or more in the tranny. Since the Fill hole is on the front side, before I fill I raise the front of the car higher by about 4 to 5 inches, so I can pour more Tranny Fluid into the tranny before it spills out. I always get more in that way.

What weight clutch fluid did you use :lol:

My '48 Willys uses mineral gear oil. Like a tractor....about as fast as one to. Just changed that but it's easier to get under.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
What weight clutch fluid did you use :lol:

My '48 Willys uses mineral gear oil. Like a tractor....about as fast as one to. Just changed that but it's easier to get under.
+1 they don'know what they talking about, their main objective is to get you in the door than cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching !!!

Coincidently, I just finished rebuilding both rear brake caliper on my vintage Porsche this morning. I removed the pistons and replaced the seals and boots and put everything back togeather, for only a few $.

Service Advisors would probably tell me that only the factory could do that work. :lol: