GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RPM hang after IE stage 2

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I have a weird RPM hang after IE manifold and stage 2. If I touch or tap the gas pedal and the rpms stop below 1200rpm it hangs. Get it over 1200 and it is fine. Problem is they jump up a couple hundred just touching the pedal. Makes starting off in first smoothly a pain as the second I touch the pedal it jumps the rpm and hangs.

My car did this before stage 1 as well, but stage 1 got rid of it so I'm pretty sure it's the tune.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
No haven't done anything yet as I just did the upgrade and I haven't had the time this week to look at it. I was going to look at it today. I wanted to throw it out there in case it was potentially not tune related to see if someones had similar issues from something else. I have changed alot of stuff recently. Part of me still thinks it may be the throttle body. Because I don't recall it doing this the from day 1 with stage 2 but I am not sure. I had some pretty strange throttle reaponse issues when the throttle body was even slightly dirty before. I cleaned the TB but didn't clean well around the pivot points for the flap so there may be some build up there causing it to stick at times. If you notice in the video it is not consistant. Also the UPS intake tube was pretty dirty inside when I put the IM on so I don't think it was wise to run a cold air intake in the wheel well living in a dry dusty environment as dirt was definitely getting through the filter. I hadn't been running it long and it was pretty fine stuff so no big deal. Just moved the intake location and changed the oil.

Last edited:

Staver

Passed Driver's Ed
No haven't done anything yet as I just did the upgrade and I haven't had the time this week to look at it. I was going to look at it today. I wanted to throw it out there in case it was potentially not tune related to see if someones had similar issues from something else. I have changed alot of stuff recently. Part of me still thinks it may be the throttle body. Because I don't recall it doing this the from day 1 with stage 2 but I am not sure. I had some pretty strange throttle reaponse issues when the throttle body was even slightly dirty before. Also the UPS intake tube was pretty dirty inside when I put the IM on so I don't think it was wise to run a cold air intake in the wheel well living in a dry dusty environment as dirt was definitely getting through the filter. I hadn't been running it long and it was pretty fine stuff so no big deal. Just moved the intake location and changed the oil.

Does flashing it back to Stage 1, or back to Stock fix the RPM hang? Doing that might help you troubleshoot... just a thought.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
No haven't done anything yet as I just did the upgrade and I haven't had the time this week to look at it. I was going to look at it today. I wanted to throw it out there in case it was potentially not tune related to see if someones had similar issues from something else. I have changed alot of stuff recently. Part of me still thinks it may be the throttle body. Because I don't recall it doing this the from day 1 with stage 2 but I am not sure. I had some pretty strange throttle reaponse issues when the throttle body was even slightly dirty before. Also the UPS intake tube was pretty dirty inside when I put the IM on so I don't think it was wise to run a cold air intake in the wheel well living in a dry dusty environment as dirt was definitely getting through the filter. I hadn't been running it long and it was pretty fine stuff so no big deal. Just moved the intake location and changed the oil.

Yeah like you said could be multiple things. They usually have great customer service and making sure you’re a happy customer. I have their flash dongle which allows logging. If you can get a chance is to reach out to them and maybe get some logs. If it’s not a dirty sensor then may just need some refining in your tune with the IM being added on the mix. I’ve read people needing some tweaking with their tune to get rid of these issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah like you said could be multiple things. They usually have great customer service and making sure you’re a happy customer. I have their flash dongle which allows logging. If you can get a chance is to reach out to them and maybe get some logs. If it’s not a dirty sensor then may just need some refining in your tune with the IM being added on the mix. I’ve read people needing some tweaking with their tune to get rid of these issues.

Thanks for the advice as I probably would have chased my tale for a long time before doing the logical step of seding them a log. I guess the flash tool has that functionality for a reason.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Does flashing it back to Stage 1, or back to Stock fix the RPM hang? Doing that might help you troubleshoot... just a thought.

Good question. I am not sure if it would matter if you went from Stage1 to Stage 2 vs stock straight to stage 2. I figured the end result would be the same but maybe it does matter. I am going to pull the tb as it is only a 10 min job when you don't have that engine cover to manhandle and give it a good cleaning. If that doesn't work I may reflash back to stock then back to stage 2. Part of me is curious what happens with the stock tune and the IM on there. Could be a fun experiment.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Good question. I am not sure if it would matter if you went from Stage1 to Stage 2 vs stock straight to stage 2. I figured the end result would be the same but maybe it does matter. I am going to pull the tb as it is only a 10 min job when you don't have that engine cover to manhandle and give it a good cleaning. If that doesn't work I may reflash back to stock then back to stage 2. Part of me is curious what happens with the stock tune and the IM on there. Could be a fun experiment.

Does the stock IM have runner flaps? That’d be the only hang up I’d see in going to stock with the IE IM. Sorry I’m in the 2.0T world and the IE IM deletes the runner flaps and would cause major running issues if put in stock mode. So I guess you could try it out and see lol. Or just the difference in flow could throw a code in stock mode.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Well throttle body it was.

A little gunk in the corners is all it takes to cause some really lame throttle response issues.

After a good cleaning

There is still some hang but nothing like before and more importantly the throttle doesn't blip when you touch it.

Ahh the joys of running vapors back through the intake. Well I guess I won't have to worry about that as much anymore.

The throttle body is super sensitive to dirt and grime. Clean TB = happy car.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Well throttle body it was.

A little gunk in the corners is all it takes to cause some really lame throttle response issues.

After a good cleaning

There is still some hang but nothing like before and more importantly the throttle doesn't blip when you touch it.

Ahh the joys of running vapors back through the intake. Well I guess I won't have to worry about that as much anymore.

Glad that worked out for ya! Woot woot!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
...A little gunk in the corners is all it takes to cause some really lame throttle response issues.

After a good cleaning

WW, you da Mahn ! :thumbup:

I think we should all keep this in mind.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Threw a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in as well as when I installed the IE fuel rail I noticed the injectors where looking like the could use some love. Runs super smooth with that stuff but that could just be the octane boost.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Curious, is there any difference going back to stock before going to stage 2 from stage 1 vs just going stage 1 to stage 2.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Alright since either that is a stupid question or nobody knows I will perform the experiment myself. Flashing back to stock now. I am curious what the stock tune with IM is like. Well in 47% I will know.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Alright since either that is a stupid question or nobody knows I will perform the experiment myself. Flashing back to stock now. I am curious what the stock tune with IM is like. Well in 47% I will know.
Holy cow! you are simply the most adventurous guy here :happyanim:

I predict you will have the same drop off like you had with the Stage1 and the IE Manifold. The dynamics of the runner lengths not there to support mid-range that why I was trying to make a manifold with longer runners that could operate with stock or stage1 tune.