GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer Problems

Erick666

Passed Driver's Ed
25k and a coolant leak showed up. Just seems to be a bit of hazing many of us GTI owners get, so I'll just get it fixed and be on my way. Installed DG springs about 200 miles prior, so this would be a good chance to get it aligned, too. Took the car in to the dealer. They confirmed it was the water pump and ordered the part (BG revision, so that sounds good). Got a loaner while I wait for the part to come in and it get fixed. Picked the car up yesterday and immediately noticed the steering wheel was no longer centered. Called and I would have to come in next week for it to get fixed. Frustrating, but the service writer has been really nice and will get me a loaner so I can drop it off one night and pick it up the next, which is much easier than getting rides given my schedule. Later on in the evening I was going over the car and noticed more:

- Inside of the fender at the front of the engine has quite a bit of dirty coolant (dirt just from engine bay mixed with old coolant). In the area of the engine mount and on the mount.
- Engine cover covered with greasy finger prints.
- Greasy finger prints on outside of both fenders.
- Paint chip on right fender.

Obviously, the paint chip is a big concern. As far as the water pump install, everything I have heard is that the quality of the install makes a huge difference when it comes to longevity. Given the cleanliness issues mentioned, I am a little concerned this will be a short lived water pump.
I'll have to wait until Monday to speak to the service writer and service manager, but it isn't going to be a fun conversation. For them, at least. This is the same dealer that forgot to torque down 2 of my wheel lugs after my 20K service, causing one to literally fall out of the wheel in the road outside my house. They seemed very responsive to my concerns about this, but I see not much has changed. Big problem for me is that they are close by, with other dealer options all an hour away. An hour drive is probably not preferred to get warranty work done, especially for things like the water pump. Not to mention the time it would take for me to do so.

So frustrating. Now I just get to stew over the weekend until I can talk to them first thing Monday morning. My car will never be perfect. I don't have enough time to keep it as clean as I would like. I have 2 young kids, which contributes to both the lack of time and lack of cleanliness. Taking it to the dealer for service should be the least of my worries, helping to maintain my vehicle, not cause more problems. Guess this is why I try to do all the work on it myself.

TLDR - My thoughts right now ..... fuck.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
25k and a coolant leak showed up. Just seems to be a bit of hazing many of us GTI owners get, so I'll just get it fixed and be on my way. Installed DG springs about 200 miles prior, so this would be a good chance to get it aligned, too. Took the car in to the dealer. They confirmed it was the water pump and ordered the part (BG revision, so that sounds good). Got a loaner while I wait for the part to come in and it get fixed. Picked the car up yesterday and immediately noticed the steering wheel was no longer centered. Called and I would have to come in next week for it to get fixed. Frustrating, but the service writer has been really nice and will get me a loaner so I can drop it off one night and pick it up the next, which is much easier than getting rides given my schedule. Later on in the evening I was going over the car and noticed more:

- Inside of the fender at the front of the engine has quite a bit of dirty coolant (dirt just from engine bay mixed with old coolant). In the area of the engine mount and on the mount.
- Engine cover covered with greasy finger prints.
- Greasy finger prints on outside of both fenders.
- Paint chip on right fender.

Obviously, the paint chip is a big concern. As far as the water pump install, everything I have heard is that the quality of the install makes a huge difference when it comes to longevity. Given the cleanliness issues mentioned, I am a little concerned this will be a short lived water pump.
I'll have to wait until Monday to speak to the service writer and service manager, but it isn't going to be a fun conversation. For them, at least. This is the same dealer that forgot to torque down 2 of my wheel lugs after my 20K service, causing one to literally fall out of the wheel in the road outside my house. They seemed very responsive to my concerns about this, but I see not much has changed. Big problem for me is that they are close by, with other dealer options all an hour away. An hour drive is probably not preferred to get warranty work done, especially for things like the water pump. Not to mention the time it would take for me to do so.

So frustrating. Now I just get to stew over the weekend until I can talk to them first thing Monday morning. My car will never be perfect. I don't have enough time to keep it as clean as I would like. I have 2 young kids, which contributes to both the lack of time and lack of cleanliness. Taking it to the dealer for service should be the least of my worries, helping to maintain my vehicle, not cause more problems. Guess this is why I try to do all the work on it myself.

TLDR - My thoughts right now ..... fuck.
Ouch this is rough, in for results of said conversation with the dealership.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Erick666

Passed Driver's Ed
I spoke with the service manager and the tech that did the work. It was nice to be able to talk to the tech about how he did the procedure, so hopefully all is well with that (based on what he said and what I read on here about the install). They are going to get everything cleaned up, including touching up the chip in the paint, in addition to the original plan to get the alignment in order. As I mentioned, everyone has been very nice. I've had my issues with other (non-vw) dealers in the past that have treated me like a liar, so at least this is a good change. Time will tell as far as the water pump goes. Guess that is all I can do at the moment.
So, it's a pain having to take the car to the dealer again and get another loaner, but at least I have a loaded TSI Passat this time, rather than the painfully slow base Jetta I got for the last loaner.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
I spoke with the service manager and the tech that did the work. It was nice to be able to talk to the tech about how he did the procedure, so hopefully all is well with that (based on what he said and what I read on here about the install). They are going to get everything cleaned up, including touching up the chip in the paint, in addition to the original plan to get the alignment in order. As I mentioned, everyone has been very nice. I've had my issues with other (non-vw) dealers in the past that have treated me like a liar, so at least this is a good change. Time will tell as far as the water pump goes. Guess that is all I can do at the moment.
So, it's a pain having to take the car to the dealer again and get another loaner, but at least I have a loaded TSI Passat this time, rather than the painfully slow base Jetta I got for the last loaner.
Great news I'd ask for an mk7 Gti or r for a loaner lol

Erick666

Passed Driver's Ed
MK7 loaner has the potential to just cost me a lot more money, so it's probably not the best idea. Maybe a good idea for them, though. :)

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
MK7 loaner has the potential to just cost me a lot more money, so it's probably not the best idea. Maybe a good idea for them, though. :)
Ha-ha good point sir! I do dig the mk7 Gti with the performance package.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Good to hear that they took care of you.

Lol, if I ever need a loaner, I always request the slowest vehicle on the lot if there are multiple to choose from.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Another reason why VW dealerships suck. I've seen cleaner work at some Joe Schmoe garage.