GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown Cam Follower MK6 R...

Phil0814

Ok, so I've got a blown cam follower. No symptoms until it was toast. I bought the car 7 months ago and was a rookie, so didn't know about the cam follower issue. I started to learn about it, so purchased a cam follower replacement kit two weeks ago to perform the service myself. It arrived last Thursday. Friday on the way home, it started showing symptoms in the last mile to home. I thought it was just my intake hose coming loose, which had happened before. Then on Saturday morning, I went to start the car to go somewhere, and the check engine light came on and it was very rough at idle. So, I turned it off and since I had the cam follower service kit, I proceeded to do that. Once I removed the HPFP, I saw that the damage was done. :eyebulge: See pics below:
HPFP_1.JPG

HPFP_2.JPG

HPFP_3.JPG
I am pretty certain I'll be doing the following since the cam follower was obliterated / punched through at the end:

-Replace HPFP. How can you tell if it's an aftermarket HPFP? It has the alphanumeric stamp of HPP0004 on the side. Is that a hi-volume HPFP or stock?
-Replace Camshaft
-Upgrade to the TSI Cam Follower Conversion Kit. I do NOT want to stay with the same failed design on the cam follower.
-Inspect the cylinder head for metal pieces.

What is the best way to flush the oil system to clean out any possible metal pieces?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Fast-R

Passed Driver's Ed
I was under the impression that the cam also has to be replaced when this happens too. check it for any abnormal scoring...

Carefully check the rest of the cylinder head as well since there could be shavings anywhere which can mess it up..

Phil0814

Yes, I mentioned I plan on the following:

-Replace HPFP. How can you tell if it's an aftermarket HPFP? It has the alphanumeric stamp of HPP0004 on the side. Is that a hi-volume HPFP or stock?
-Replace Camshaft
-Upgrade to the TSI Cam Follower Conversion Kit. I do NOT want to stay with the same failed design on the cam follower.
-Inspect the cylinder head for metal pieces.

I can hopefully do all the work. We'll see...

Fast-R

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry, I didn't see the cam replacement in your list, hence my comment.. Give an update once you finish, would like to hear the outcome if it went smooth or any hiccups...

I used to worry about the cam follower all the time since I was wearing out the black coating rather quickly each time I replaced them.. I did the roller follower conversion and it feels nice to not worry about it any further..

Phil0814

FAST-R,
Did the TSI roller Follower Conversion use the same style of HPFP as the FSI setup? Making sure if I need to get a different style of HPFP with this conversion.

Thanks,
Phil

Fast-R

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the upgraded APR HPFP upgrade before the conversion and then just re-used it when I did the install, no issues at all..

bebersol

Ready to race!
most of the cam follower failures have been with modified HPFPs. I think the only way to tell if its modified is to look at the piston, otherwise most of the HPFP upgrades are done to the OE Hitachi HPFP body. There's the autotech , the APR and the IE upgrades. I think the last one is the best in terms of reliability, but also most expensive. Did the entire bottom of you cam follower blow off?

Noisyboy250

Can someone upload a video of their engine bay with the conversion kit on it? With the engine running, b/c I installed mine 2 days ago and it started to sound like the cam chain is smacking something. It didn't do that before the install