GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hurdy's R thread

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Well, I've just noticed that I haven't actually got a build thread in here yet, so here goes.

Below is the current specification of the car as it stands at the last update of this post....

Current Specification.

Engine/power modifications

GIAC Extreme map - switchable through the GIAC switchloader which includes
1. Pump map - usable everyday with WMI running or not
2. Race map - *usable everyday, but MUST have WMI running and octane booster - alternatively 100octane or higher fuel with or without WMI running.
3. Valet mode - restricts power during visits to dealers
4. Kill switch - immobiliser.

GIAC Stage 3 DSG software - this is a custom software and can be programmed as you like it and based on stage 2. Link below.
http://www.giacusa.com/news.php?newsid=147

Custom intake with Forge Motorsport 3" MAF housing and Evoms front end intake and dry filter.

RS4 136bar fuel pressure return valve

Milltek Full Turbo-back exhaust system with 200 cell sports cat and black ceramic tips.

Autotech High pressure fuel-pump

RS3 in-tank low pressure fuel-pump

BSH throttle pipe

BSH Vacuum tap - for water methanol injection.

E-Boost 2 boost controller and wmi progressive controller in OSIR vent pod.

Devil's own water methanol injection - http://www.methanol-injection.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28

Suspension/drive-train Modifications

HPA Haldex Gen IV race controller with remote switching - I'll let HPA explain this one, but it is well worth doing!
http://www.hpamotorsport.com/haldex.htm

Bilstein B16 PSS10 coilover suspension

Whiteline heavy duty droplinks

Full Powerflex poly bushing front and rear

Whiteline Anti-lift kit

H&R front and rear anti-roll bars

Team Dynamics Pro race 1.2 alloys - 8x18 ET45 - 9kg per alloy

Goodyear-Eagle F1 assymetric 2's - 235/40/18 95Y *XL

History

I've been a bit of a serial modifier for a while and my last few VW's were a Golf MKV Edition 30 DSG that ended up with 438bhp and 510lbft on nitrous injection and then after that I calmed down and bought a 6R 1.4TSI Polo GTI DSG that ended up on a Loba hybrid turbo and 260bhp at just 1150kg.

Current car

How the R looked on delivery

How she looks now

Last dyno day ended up like this......(ignore penned in lines as they were from an APR stage 2+ car)

Which got me this.....:D

Last time out at the strip...videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOMKrJpz8U0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGBniCLOfBg

Plans

Hopefully to drop my best official time of 12.3038@109mph in the next few weeks whilst still on the stock K04.

Then to progress to a different turbo. Still stuck on the choice as I ideally want good response AND more power.

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Update......

Well the R has had a few issues lately, which I'm glad to say now have been resolved by Steve Jr and Craig at Statllers.

Not a massive update really, but today saw the E-Boost 2 controller go on. The R didn't like the manual boost controller too much. It made part throttle quite twitchy and coming off full boost was quite violent at times. It did the job fine for the strip, but for the road it was very much a temporary fix. So now the E-Boost controller is sat in prime place with an OSIR vent pod just to the right of the steering wheel and an excellent piece of kit it is too. Jake ( Danishmkvgti on the MK5 forum) had one of these fitted a while back and likes his a lot, so I thought I'd take the same plunge. Operationally it has quite a few options including progressively controlling the WMI and once set up is VERY smooth in operation, I'd even go as far to say that it feels smoother than using the N75 sensor OEM boost regulator.

Peak held boost is around the 28psi level and drops back towards the redline.

All set now for the final phase and a Loba L0400 turbo upgrade. Fast spooling ( faster than the OEM K04 ) and with over 400bhp capability the R should finally be where I want it to be.

Quick pic.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
nice looking R but wtf is up with your front bumper?

bad PS to remove plate holes?

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Well I'm ready for the UK's biggest show of the year.......

Hoping to get into the 11's on the strip! :D

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Went to the strip yesterday. 88degrees in the shade didn't help anyone out, but still managed a 12.52@112mph. I think the higher time for me was mainly due to the track prep as my 60' times were around 0.2 seconds slower.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Nice car, many many performance mods and you have achieved great results at the strip.

Many change the wheels, i think the stock R wheels are the nicest stock wheel made and would never change them. with all your performance mods i am sure that was a consideration.

the rear vw mod looks good, lets see the engine bay.

also what would you estimate your investment in mods?

back in the day (60's), i never saw any of my friends break 12.5, these were 8 cylinder muscle cars, generally two 4 barrel carbs or fuel injection, crane cam, 4:56 gears, Hurst gear box, headers, tires etc. Generally pretty large investment also.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
One of the nicest looking Rs out there :clap: I love that color especially with the dark headlights... too bad it wasn't available when I ordered my car.

Do you mind sharing some feedback on the RS4 return valve and the RS3 in-tank pump? Pros and cons (if any?) did u feel any noticeable gains? I'm considering these upgrades in the near future but would like a firsthand feedback from someone who tried them.
Thx

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
One of the nicest looking Rs out there :clap: I love that color especially with the dark headlights... too bad it wasn't available when I ordered my car.

Do you mind sharing some feedback on the RS4 return valve and the RS3 in-tank pump? Pros and cons (if any?) did u feel any noticeable gains? I'm considering these upgrades in the near future but would like a firsthand feedback from someone who tried them.
Thx

The RS4 return valve and the RS3 LPFP are basically mods that will help when I go for an Uprated turbo. I have no definitive info for the RS3 pump over OEM as the OEM pump was just about coping anyway at my current level of tune. The only issues I've seen are very low high pressure fuel rail drop offs versus requested. Some with more than 60bar difference. These issues were tracked back to the LPFP dropping off pressure below 4bar at WOT and resulting in a simultaneous drop in the high pressure fuel rail.

The RS4 valve did help with a "wave effect" I had with the OEM valve. The RS4 valve follows requested trigger and quicker than the OEM one and so should help with any tuning in future.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Damn! Where is the "Like" button!

Congrats!

It would be great if you can show everything you did (parts needed) for this swap!

Will do.

From my current state of tune there aren't that many really.......

The turbo, RS4 injectors and custom stage 3 tune.