GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Mirror Cap Removal WITHOUT Removing Glass

spiker369

on air, don't care
I meant to make this thread a while back, I took the photos back in October 2015 and never got around to posting them.. Anyways, it's super simple to remove the caps wether it be to paint them, wrap them, or replace them. Here's how to do it without removing the mirror glass and risk breaking it. Entire procedure takes less than a minute per mirror. :thumbsup:

So here is the inside of the mirror cap, notice the two tabs.

Here is the inside of the mirror housing, notice the two pegs where the tabs of the mirror cap push into.

Tilt the glass using the knob on the driver's door. Tilt it all the way down to create the largest gap up top as you can, you might have to center it left and right as well.

Once tilted, all you need to do is use a small tool to push the tabs down. I use a small flat head screw driver every time I take my caps off. (this photo is of the mirror cap already off, which is why you can see through all the way)

When you push the tabs down and over the pegs, you simply pull the cap off of the front of the housing. To put the caps back on, you simply slide it straight back, it only goes on one way.

Hope this helps some people. If you have any questions or need more photos, just let me know.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I definitely need to do this to mine. Thanks for the quick DIY.

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
This is one of those things that takes like 30 minutes and a lot of cursing the first time, then like 30 seconds every time thereafter.

I use a piece of wood shim instead of a screw driver to pry the clips off though. Don't want metal anywhere near the glass.